Captain
For those of you that do not yet know what a Chameloid is, it's a mythical shapeshifting species, apparently far less durable than Changelings.

For those of us that want a shapeshifting character, but know we can't get a Changeling because of how powerful they are, this may be a good substitute. And it's canon too.

For game mechanics, I was thinking that there'd be a base form. This form would be the one that wears the faction's uniform and the one that all of your outfits apply to. But every 10 or so levels, you gain a new form to shapeshift into. It can be any race and sex, but once you pick the race and sex, you can't change it for that form, and have to wait till you unlock the next shapeshifting form. But within that race and sex, you can customize it however you see fit within the parameters of that race/sex's tailor menu option pool.

The new forms would retain your Chameloid's chosen profession and all of its non-kit abilities, but would gain the species trait bonuses from the relevant race. Perhaps in BOFF trait form instead of Captain species trait form so it won't be THAT overpowered. The new form maybe could have a set pool of gear if not retain your default gear. Oh, and if that's too powerful, each form could replace a trait, so you could choose not to have any form, or a lot, or a moderate amount, etc.

And for those of you who are thinking "Well if you just want a shapeshifting character, just make an alien and use one tailor outfit slot for each form". That could work for a lot of us, but 1-it can't make your character change sex, and 2-it has no gameplay functionality.

Just a random idea I'm throwing out here. I tend to do that a lot.

My older suggestion threads (dead threads; do not post in them!)
Orangie's Suggestions - Sub-Factions
Orangie's Suggestions - Fleet Holding
Orangie's Suggestions - Zen Store Gifts
Orangie's Suggestions - Non-Combat Gameplay
Orangie's Suggestions - Celestial & Envoy Saucer Separation
Orangie's Suggestions - Cardassian Faction
Orangie's Suggestions - Klingon Blood Color
Orangie's Suggestions - Mission Pod Slot

Helpful Tools: Dictionary.com - Logical fallacies - Random generator - Word generator - Color tool - Extra Credits - List of common English language errors - Big booty tutorial - Also, follow me on Twitter!

Last edited by orangeitis; 02-14-2014 at 03:11 AM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
12-01-2013, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeitis View Post
The new forms would retain your Chameloid's chosen profession and all of its non-kit abilities, but would gain the species trait bonuses from the relevant race. Perhaps in BOFF trait form instead of Captain species trait form so it won't be THAT overpowered. The new form maybe could have a set pool of gear if not retain your default gear. Oh, and if that's too powerful, each form could replace a trait, so you could choose not to have any form, or a lot, or a moderate amount, etc.
Or maybe since it's so potentially overpowered it has to be pre-nerfed into oblivion to even make it sound possible, we could take this as evidence why it shouldn't be done and move along to something else? Just sayin', if you've got to nerf it 2 times at the "proposal" stage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memory Alpha
In the script for Star Trek VI, this species' homeworld is referred to as Arc, a location where Martia states smuggling is "an ancient and respected trade."
...and that's before we even get to "No to ARC in STO!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dev Blog
While we are removing part of the game, we hope that this improves the overall quality of STO.
-facepalm-
Captain
# 3
12-01-2013, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloishammer View Post
Or maybe since it's so potentially overpowered it has to be pre-nerfed into oblivion to even make it sound possible, we could take this as evidence why it shouldn't be done and move along to something else? Just sayin', if you've got to nerf it 2 times at the "proposal" stage...
It's not "nerfing", it's "changing the idea so it can work". I don't want anything overpowered in-game any more than you do.And this is why I posted it - to get other's thoughts on the idea and opinions on whether certain parts of it might be too powerful or not powerful enough. Feedback and all. I'm not some noob that just up and posted something I'd think would make me pwn all time errytime.

That Arc bit was funny though.

Helpful Tools: Dictionary.com - Logical fallacies - Random generator - Word generator - Color tool - Extra Credits - List of common English language errors - Big booty tutorial - Also, follow me on Twitter!
Career Officer
# 4
12-01-2013, 11:36 AM
It's easy to make a shapeshifter already. Just make an alien, every costume slot make it look completely different. You can change your appearance completely on the fly.
Captain
# 5
12-01-2013, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by odyssey47 View Post
It's easy to make a shapeshifter already. Just make an alien, every costume slot make it look completely different. You can change your appearance completely on the fly.
Yeeeeah... I already addressed that point in the OP.

Lieutenant
# 6
12-01-2013, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by odyssey47 View Post
As this is precisely what I did (even kept the golden eyes Martia had), I fully endorse this post. Especially as sex changes on the fly would probably be incredibly hard to code now that the codebase has been expanded for so long.
Rihannsu
# 7
12-01-2013, 03:44 PM
I've pondered shapeshifting as an aspect of Suliban. My best idea was to give you a temporary buff, that makes you take on the appearance of whatever your target is. It'd work kinda like that ground mission that leads up to the Doomsday device episode. The one where you sneak around a planet full of Klingons disguised as a Klingon... they won't shoot you unless either: A you shoot first, or B: a Targ attacks you(the disguise doesn't work ona nimals because they can smell you)

that sounds like it'd be a nice racial trait. It'd be fun to play with in social zones too!
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 8
12-01-2013, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
I've pondered shapeshifting as an aspect of Suliban. My best idea was to give you a temporary buff, that makes you take on the appearance of whatever your target is. It'd work kinda like that ground mission that leads up to the Doomsday device episode. The one where you sneak around a planet full of Klingons disguised as a Klingon... they won't shoot you unless either: A you shoot first, or B: a Targ attacks you(the disguise doesn't work ona nimals because they can smell you)

that sounds like it'd be a nice racial trait. It'd be fun to play with in social zones too!
I agree. Shapeshifting is something that could be a lot of fun, and something that appeared a lot in Star Trek, but is rather underrepresented in this game.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 9
12-04-2013, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
I agree. Shapeshifting is something that could be a lot of fun, and something that appeared a lot in Star Trek, but is rather underrepresented in this game.
This. Do we even see a changeling disguise itself? Hell, the Undine seem to do it more, and it seems they use holographic tech to do it(not sure on that)

Captain
# 10
12-04-2013, 09:19 AM
I thought I would assume a pleasing shape.
Vice Admiral Rylana - U.S.S. DNT Omega X || Vice Admiral Lyzara - I.R.W. DNT Omicron X
Vice Admiral Kailiana - R.R.W. DNT Theta X || Vice Admiral Talina - I.R.W. DNT Tau X
Vice Admiral Victoria - U.S.S. DNT Upsilon X || Lt. General Dannika - I.K.S. DNT Sigma X
Vice Admiral Shondra - R.R.W. DNT Alpha X || Lt. General Rosanna - I.K.S. DNT Iota X
=== Vice Squad/House of Tlhap-Jen ===