Career Officer
# 11
03-01-2013, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastone21 View Post
Leave it as it is now.

Nerf pvp anymor and people with either stop doing it or the afking will increase.
I have no problem with either eventuality stated above.
Career Officer
# 12
03-01-2013, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by radkip View Post
This is true. I've been hearing methods have already been developed by a few fleets to get things done faster than the Shanty Town grind ever was.

This is like the prohibition era of the 1920s. They ban one way of doing things and a more efficient way pops up, only it's within the current bounds of the rules instead.

If they take dilithium away from PvP missions, they better add some sort of participation -based dilithium rewards. I mainly PvP to kill others (or be killed if I head into space), but the dilithium is always nice.
Good way of summarizing it.

And I got the feeling there might be further changes soon since people already found a work-around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naevius View Post
I wonder if you could use two accounts to PvP yourself... o.O
You can. Probably why they made this action, because people made alt accounts to farm fleet marks. Of course, still find it funny Cryptic took a year to notice that people used Dilithium from PvP farming to buy lockbox keys and send them to their main.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticarmsman View Post
if you really think this is the case, then why are you bothering to complain about a change that had no overall negative effect on the PvP playerbase? (as evidenced by the statement I've quoted above.)

This had no Negative Impact on the Public PvP playerbase, but it sure had one on the Private PvP community. This nerf hurt small groups of a few individuals who liked to PvP, who fought legitimately. And you of all people know when you get veteran PvPers who fight seriously, matches can take quite a while, so setting the kill setting back didn't prolong the matches too much.
Ensign
# 13
03-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starmanj View Post
"It resolved an exploit, so it needed to be added in after maintenance started. Some players were lowering settings to the lowest counts and receiving rewards reserved for much longer gameplay. You can still participate in private matches and earn credit for the dailies and repeatables, but matches must be kept at the default settings or higher."

As we see Mackenzie is in trouble again Truly the delv's had to had know this all along.
If some of you remember WarZone was taken away form Mackenzie awhile back because it was becomming a exploit. If not mistaken somthing was done on that before it disapeered altoghther.

Now Mackenzie is being pick on by kill count settings. Well you know this will not stop hard core grinders or PvP AFKers. So a Idea to do it correctly would be To make Mackenzie's
'Hostile Engagements Against Enemy Leaders' a Daily 1 time a day not repeatable. But thinking on doing that well PvP will become absolete won't it?

Other Players thoughts Please
I have a few thoughts to weigh in with, if I may:

1 - I believe that the design is intentional, and there is nothing wrong with it. The thing is... STO is dependent on profit to keep improving the game. By design, this means that they need people providing the dilithium that others use their bought zen to acquire. There are a very limited number of ways to meet the 8k dilithium per day limit quickly, and there are even fewer ways that are realistic for people with more than a few characters. If the supply was limited to only what could be "farmed" using conventional methods, S.T.O. would earn less money, and our game would not be as good. Methods like this, that allow quick "grinding" of dilithium, are vital to the game economy.

Most people don't think about it this way... but where do you think the dilithium we "buy" with zen comes from. STO doesn't simply manufacture it out of thin air. Doing so would imbalance the game economy. Instead they rely on players earning the dilithium and selling it to others. This allows the players to set the "fair market price" (What they feel it is really worth to them at the time), instead of most games who try to set this price for you and tell you what they want to be paid for each upgrade or improvement. With this method, you're buying your dilithium from someone who had to go earn it, so the 2 of you can set a fair price instead of the game admins setting that price. It is a well thought out and balanced supply and demand system that is dependent on people earning and selling the dilithium to others to generate income for the game. Pushing for tighter restrictions on how dilithium can be earned only strangles the game economy and thus the game's profit.

2. "Tricks" like this help keep down the number of morons who go into arenas and then go AFK, leaving you 1 player down and likely losing quickly. Instead they can use this trick and not bother the rest of us who want to play in REAL arenas with 5 players who want to be there (not just there for the daily, in green scrub gear).

3. This seems like it would be a nice way for beginners to get some dilithium together (those that can't afford to buy it with cash anyway). This may prevent people from going into elite STF's in junk gear so much too.

4. Even if STO were going to try and make a serious effort to eliminate it, grinders always find a way to get their dilithium. If they were to add a 30 minute cooldown to the mission, people would just switch between several characters (rotating through several characters each 30 minutes). If they turn it into a daily, then those of us who do real pvp arenas for fun will lose out on our dilithium, and the grinders will go back to afk'ing arenas, or use some other trick. Nothing's broken right now, Why not leave well enough alone?

I guess the bottom line is, why does it bother anyone. If you want to spend hours per day repeating the same thing over and over to get a few dollars worth of dilithium to sell to someone else... it's no skin off my back. I say live and let live. Just my 2 cents.

~Q

Last edited by wolffman78; 03-01-2013 at 04:21 PM. Reason: expounding
Lieutenant
# 14
03-01-2013, 08:51 PM
alright so..am I missing something here?

People were doing like a 1 kill pvp private match or something like that to do a quick grind? If thats the case, changing that is a bad thing why? or am I missing an aspect of this?
Koopa27 -X-treme
Empire Veteran
# 15
03-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Im just curiuos who the frock Mckenzie Calhoun is and what has been changed about PvP?
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Captain
# 16
03-01-2013, 09:53 PM
This is about the daily wrapper, before you could do the daily PvP missions with any setting ... this was changed so it only counts with the default settings.

It affects some people, I am not depend on this because I stop caring about Dilithium and no matter how hard Cryptic tries to make me buy Dilithium with Zen I am not going to do it and I suspect many feel the same, this is what causing the Dilithium exchange going down because I have now 350k Dilithium but I am not selling it because I need some of it for certain things ... of course I have 350k Dilithium because I am not buying vendor trash from the Dilithium store and not spending on "characters unlocks" like Fleet Uniforms and LOL Consumables.

Anyway this seem to be a side effect of putting Fleet Marks on the Daily PvP, I dont think (despite Cryptic claims) this is about "Dilithium farming exploits" since this been for a long time now and its their interest to keep Dilithium flowing in, Fleet Marks on the other hand appear to ruin their "master plan" of forcing people to grind until they get something in May (2012 was the year of grinds, not the year of F2P) so they are trying very hard to keep players busy grinding Fleet Marks so this "exploits" would mean people would actually get something done.

Of course that is something that leads to a dead end, with Fleet Gear and the population differences of Fed/KDF there would be a 10:1 difference of number of T5 Fleets in favor of Federation, this also affects because every time a small fleet dies those members will either no longer be part of a Fleet or will join another Fleet and chances are its a T4-5 Fleet meaning the "mandatory grind because we have no content" is coming to a end and if they think they are going to pull the same trick with a Romulan faction they have another thing coming ... I see a Romulan Fleet system with the exact same massive requirements as they currently exist and I am not even bothering.

(Note:Like it or not Fleet Gear is required to be competitive if you are serious about it)
Captain
# 17
03-01-2013, 10:15 PM
Sounds like its mainly farmers who don't like the change and actual Pve'rs knew this would happen eventually.

I personally don't mind the change, what I do mind is their underhanded tactics in "slipping it in last minute". You know, they're already known for their lack of informing the playerbase on changes and this only further compounds the problem and is also a good example at their lack of communication.

I mean they had to know about it since it was first introduced, yet just after they add fleet marks they realize it might be a problem then secretly add it to the patch the day of a patch being done giving the community no warning or heads up something was changing.

Stop being underhanded cryptic and start actually informing us of changes before the last minute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 18
03-01-2013, 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maicake716 View Post
Sounds like its mainly farmers who don't like the change and actual Pve'rs knew this would happen eventually.

I personally don't mind the change, what I do mind is their underhanded tactics in "slipping it in last minute". You know, they're already known for their lack of informing the playerbase on changes and this only further compounds the problem and is also a good example at their lack of communication.

I mean they had to know about it since it was first introduced, yet just after they add fleet marks they realize it might be a problem then secretly add it to the patch the day of a patch being done giving the community no warning or heads up something was changing.

Stop being underhanded cryptic and start actually informing us of changes before the last minute.
Ive posted this already, but im going to post it again: It wasn't last minute -- the change was actually on Tribble, but since the update was being done to resolve an exploit, it was purposely withheld from the Tribble patch notes and the Holodeck notes until maintenance was already in progress. I'm sure you can understand the reason why

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Career Officer
# 19
03-01-2013, 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maicake716 View Post
Yes, it was expected because it happened multiple times in the past with Marks of Honor (MK 10 Purples) and Emblems (Mk 11 Purples).

Lately, feels like Cryptic is renegging on their deals. "Here is some FMs for the Foundry, enjoy" "Oh, gotta remove them". "Here's FMs for PvP" "oh, going through too fast, gotta fix that".

Really, they aren't thinking about the consequences before they do it, and we end up hurting in the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
but since the update was being done to resolve an exploit
What of those people who were doing it legitimately, Branflakes?

And like said previously, those "exploiters" only resorted into bigger groups to complete the daily in the same amount of time. The only ones you really hurt aren't just farmers, but people who was legitimately PvPing as small fleets who avoid Public PvP Queues.

Today we tried Cap and Hold with the few of us, it took literally an Hour and a half to complete the daily. And when you got people who can't be on no more than 2 hours, thats just taking the fun out of the game, because you got to work for Dilithium and Fleet marks so your Fleet progresses.

And that is why many small fleets are dead now, because people are tired of the "job" and going to larger Fleets so they don't have to do anymore Fleet Mark grinding and can focus more on stuff they actually want to do.

So you guys really need to rethink these systems. Because it's really getting to people now.
Commander
# 20
03-01-2013, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Im just curiuos who the frock Mckenzie Calhoun is and what has been changed about PvP?
He's the guy who gives the repeatable arena/capture and hold/assault missions for the Federation. Since most people are Feds (the OP being one too I assume), his name was chosen, thought he doesn't exactly have much to do with the discussion.

Fanfiction! ZOMG! Read it now!
kate-wintersbite.deviantart.com/art/0x01-Treachery-293641403