Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,005
# 21
03-01-2013, 01:47 PM
I would like a little clarity on the issue.

To everyone who hates the new Enterprise, do you like the movies but dislike the design? Do you hate the design and the movies? Or do you hate the design because of how much you dislike the movies?

I feel like the same sort of people who dislike the new movies would dislike STO, and yet the forums are full of people hissing and spitting at anything from the new Trek films like a vampire in sunlight. They both have the same types of criticism leveled against them (emphasis on violence and action over story, a low-ranking officer immediately promoted to captain of a starship), and yet lots of people sit around STO as the last bastion of old Trek.

The only difference between JJ Abrams's Star Trek and STO is a lot of lens flares, and the new Enterprise is a fine design. Not perfect, but it looks great on film and in motion.
Career Officer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,452
# 22
03-01-2013, 01:57 PM
I would love to see JJ's Enterprise as the Tier-5 Constitution refit, just for the unholy ragefest it would create.

DO IT, CRYPTIC!! DO IT!!!


"I won't try to hide behind the Law if what I stand for is what's Right."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,910
# 23
03-01-2013, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thratch1 View Post
I would like a little clarity on the issue.

To everyone who hates the new Enterprise, do you like the movies but dislike the design? Do you hate the design and the movies? Or do you hate the design because of how much you dislike the movies?

I feel like the same sort of people who dislike the new movies would dislike STO, and yet the forums are full of people hissing and spitting at anything from the new Trek films like a vampire in sunlight. They both have the same types of criticism leveled against them (emphasis on violence and action over story, a low-ranking officer immediately promoted to captain of a starship), and yet lots of people sit around STO as the last bastion of old Trek.

The only difference between JJ Abrams's Star Trek and STO is a lot of lens flares, and the new Enterprise is a fine design. Not perfect, but it looks great on film and in motion.
There's a lot of opinions about that... but as for the forums having 'hissing and spitting', that's not unusual in MMO's

Star Trek fans have mixed reactions to the film, for a multitude of reasons, some logical... some not nearly so. Best left at that, but I will tell that those who have a corrosive illogical hatred for this movie (for whatever reason) will always find reasons to dislike everything about it, including the ship.

And some are in denial that it's nothing like what they want... okay, really done now.

I wouldn't mind having the JJprise in-game, personally. If we have the Galaxy-X, which is also from an alternate timeline, why not that one? Plus the JJ movies, like it or not, are canon so they can used with permission... if they ever sort out who'd Cryptic have to talk to for the rights XD
Was named Trek17, but still an author.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh'.

Last edited by trek21; 03-01-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,500
# 24
03-01-2013, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek21 View Post
There's a lot of opinions about that... but as for the forums having 'hissing and spitting', that's not unusual in MMO's

Star Trek fans have mixed reactions to the film, for a multitude of reasons, some logical... some not nearly so. Best left at that, but I will tell that those who have a corrosive illogical hatred for this movie (for whatever reason) will always find reasons to dislike everything about it, including the ship.

And some are in denial that it's nothing like what they want... okay, really done now.

I wouldn't mind having the JJprise in-game, personally. If we have the Galaxy-X, which is also from an alternate timeline, why not that one? Plus the JJ movies, like it or not, are canon so they can used with permission... if they ever sort out who'd Cryptic have to talk to for the rights XD
THEY ARE NOT CANNON. Why it was a good movie, it wasn't a TREK Movie. and First off the JJprise is to TMPish for the time.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,910
# 25
03-01-2013, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralq1732 View Post
THEY ARE NOT CANNON. Why it was a good movie, it wasn't a TREK Movie. and First off the JJprise is to TMPish for the time.
What part of 'all movies are canon, no conditions or requirements needed' do you not get?

And about it not being a Trek movie, first off... it's not in the Prime Universe, so they don't follow the same rules that the original did. So of course it'd be different than a film set in the Prime Universe.

Long story short, it IS a Trek film, but simply a different kind of Trek film.

And lastly, it's canon, not cannon
Was named Trek17, but still an author.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh'.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 59
# 26
03-01-2013, 02:29 PM
I don't understand all the hate for the JJ Trek. I personally love the new Star Trek more than the old. First off, before the JJ Trek, I rarely watched Star Trek, maybe a little when my dad would (He's a huge Trekkie), but after watching the 2009 Star Trek, I fell in love with it all. I like the older movies and such, but I still like the newer one. And to all the people complaining about it being non canon or atrocious, please think about what you are saying and look at the current year.

Its 2013, people like CGI and realism in films. And with the JJ Trek being set in an alternate timeline, they can do whatever than want. I am almost willing to bet if a Star Trek EXACTLY like the old one was released, full of all the slow space combat scenes and quietness, no one would like it. Now i'm not saying the older Treks are bad, but things have to change after awhile, they need to update and improve.

Now I would DEFINITELY like a Tier 5 JJ Enterprise given to us. I would buy that in a heart beat and laugh at all the people raging over it. The argument of realism and STO is so sad, its not even funny. When we have people in Alien ships and a war against the Borg that has made 0 progress, the last thing I would be complaining about is allowing the JJ Enterprise or old Connie in the game.
"The Easiest Day, was Yesterday"
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,910
# 27
03-01-2013, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainamericax View Post
I don't understand all the hate for the JJ Trek. I personally love the new Star Trek more than the old. First off, before the JJ Trek, I rarely watched Star Trek, maybe a little when my dad would (He's a huge Trekkie), but after watching the 2009 Star Trek, I fell in love with it all. I like the older movies and such, but I still like the newer one. And to all the people complaining about it being non canon or atrocious, please think about what you are saying and look at the current year.

Its 2013, people like CGI and realism in films. And with the JJ Trek being set in an alternate timeline, they can do whatever than want. I am almost willing to bet if a Star Trek EXACTLY like the old one was released, full of all the slow space combat scenes and quietness, no one would like it. Now i'm not saying the older Treks are bad, but things have to change after awhile, they need to update and improve.

Now I would DEFINITELY like a Tier 5 JJ Enterprise given to us. I would buy that in a heart beat and laugh at all the people raging over it. The argument of realism and STO is so sad, its not even funny. When we have people in Alien ships and a war against the Borg that has made 0 progress, the last thing I would be complaining about is allowing the JJ Enterprise or old Connie in the game.
That's kinda why you don't get all the hate... because you're not as big a fan of Star Trek as many of us are

Many believe that a Star Trek film should be set according to the Prime Universe's rules: peace, fighting-only-when-necessary, and otherwise be a thought-provoking type of thing. This is despite the fact that JJ's Trek takes place in an alternate reality, and therefore, it is not contractually bound to follow those rules.

People have issues with that, in many different forms, quite simply I think.
Was named Trek17, but still an author.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh'.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 990
# 28
03-01-2013, 02:33 PM
i wish JJ never got his hands on my trek.

the guy him self said he dosnt like star trek but like star wars and wants to make it more star wars like. i despise jj dumbing down trek turning it into another pew pew lense flare peice of crap.

the sooner he moves on to some thing else the better star trek will be. he should stick to bad tv shows or star wars
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,975
# 29
03-01-2013, 02:36 PM
I would not waste my $ on that junk. I hate the JJ Trek, I hate the ship. However I will love turning it into cannon fodder for my KDF cruiser. I will target it on sight.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,910
# 30
03-01-2013, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog0000doom View Post
i wish JJ never got his hands on my trek.

the guy him self said he dosnt like star trek but like star wars and wants to make it more star wars like. i despise jj dumbing down trek turning it into another pew pew lense flare peice of crap.

the sooner he moves on to some thing else the better star trek will be. he should stick to bad tv shows or star wars
First, you thinking his tv shows and the film are terrible doesn't make them so, not for everyone.

And second, Star Trek is still around, virtually untouched except for Spock and Nero 'disappearing', along with the destruction of Romulus. But still, pretty much everything we've seen in TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT happened.

JJ Trek continues in it's timeline, alongside the Prime Universe, but unaffected by each other otherwise. So I highly doubt he 'contaminated' anything: he simply made a new, independent version imo.
Was named Trek17, but still an author.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh'.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:30 PM.