Republic Veteran
# 41
03-01-2013, 08:41 PM
It's clearly a Zakdorn faction.

Commander
# 42
03-02-2013, 10:33 AM
Hmm, while I'll happy to see more Romulan stuff, personally I'm hoping it's not a true faction like the KDF and Federation. Firstly, given all that's happened to them, I'm not sure they're really as large a faction anyway, plus I think that adding a third faction just makes things weird.

What they could do however is interleave the faction with both Federation and KDF; for example, you start off with a Romulan intro, some Romulan missions and eventually enter Starfleet via the dual citizenship programme. You then proceed from some point in the Federation quest-line, with the occasional Romulan specific mission calling you back to your roots, as well as a modified selection of ships; so you would have access to a subset of the Federation ships, but fill in with various Romulan ships.

Likewise on the Klingon side except that might somehow prove yourself honourable and worthy of joining the KDF before proceeding in a similar manner. It would also be a good opportunity to do some of the much promised, but never delivered, KDF improvements.

This would reduce the development requirements of the faction. Add on top of this Romulan fleets and I think things should be fairly interesting, especially with the possibility of Elite plasma weapons on their side.
Rihannsu
# 43
03-02-2013, 10:57 AM
So lets approach this from a financials aspect:

1. Klingon fans are mad and rage about their faction content not being on par with the Federation content. And so they have chosen not to support the game by spending money.

2. Romulan Fans have been waiting on the outside of the game hoping to someday be able to play their favorite faction. And they have money to spend in support of their fledgling faction were it to be introduced into the game.

3. <insert faction here> Fans have been waiting on the outside of the game hoping to someday be able to play their favorite faction. And they have money to spend in support of their fledgling faction were it to be introduced into the game.

4. Cryptic decides that they are going to treat all non-Fed factions in the same way with the same sort and amount of content going forward. They make a sort of template from which to easily create future factions and drop them into the game. This will allow them to better gauge where they will earn the best return on their investment of development time.

5. Cryptic squeezes non-Fed content down to the minimum necessary to get a non-Fed faction character up and playing in STO.

6. Since Klingon fans are not an income resource already, losses from Klingon fans leaving the game is not felt at all while the vast amounts of income from other faction fans greatly improves the corporate bottomline which in turn leads to more content for all faction players. (side benefit/perk is the quieting on the forums due to the massive outflux of negative commenters) .

Captain
# 44
03-02-2013, 11:10 AM
They Might get a rewvenue boost with the Rommies coming in. Every trek game till STo had Rommies as playable. However for KDF people. they only have so many resources and if Crytpic is finally getting off it's butt, this could be a good start and maybe the next major patch will have more KDF content. but right now I'll settle for Rommies and some bug fixes
Career Officer
# 45
03-02-2013, 11:22 AM
Do people really think that because a Romulan Faction is introduced (or any faction for that matter), that Cryptic is going to just STOP creating Fed & KDF amenities for the game down the road??

Seems kinda-sorta-like very narrow-minded thinking to me.

If we had been told that the game was going to be shut down in a couple of months, there might be reason to be concerned...

But as far as I can tell, at the moment the future is very bright.

KDF'ers rejoice, your future STO play-time will not be taken away from you.

...... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Member since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just People who have Played the Game for the last 4 years.
I Really Do Miss the little TOP Button at the bottom of the threads.
Captain
# 46
03-02-2013, 11:38 AM
I am looking forward to the big reveal, and hopeful that it might be a romulan faction, but there are a lot of ways that it could be handled that would really irritate me that I am wary of.

1) 'Mini Faction'- The idea that players would create a romulan/reman character, play a few missions, and then be told to join the Feds or KDF. If I wanted to play a fed or KDF romulan, I'd buy the hypothetical 'playable federation/kdf romulan' like the already existing 'federation playable klingon' I'd actually rather have that option than a mini-faction, because at least it doesn't slam the door on the possibility of a proper romulan faction in the future.

2) D'Tan faction. I like D'Tan. The reunificationists in the series were sympathetic, and I don't object to the existance of his faction. However, D'Tan does not represent the Romulan Star Empire. When I say I want to play as Romulans, I mean I want sinister plots, grey uniforms with pointy shoulders, a desire for conquest of other races, cutthroat politics, and a general hatred of the KDF and the Federation-not a bunch of bald miners and refugees living in tents in a rainforest. I would be strongly annoyed if this proved to be the case.
Ensign
# 47
03-02-2013, 12:47 PM
Well personally I don't mind if its just a featured series though I've always wanted to play the Romulans as Klingons have never interested me enough to play that faction. Whatever it is carry on Cryptic as I still enjoy Sto 3 years on!!
Captain
# 48
03-02-2013, 12:50 PM
A 3rd playable species, or a second incomplete faction depending on how you look at it, at least players will have a reason to be flying around in Romulan ships.
Captain
# 49
03-02-2013, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by catoblepasbeta View Post
I am looking forward to the big reveal, and hopeful that it might be a romulan faction, but there are a lot of ways that it could be handled that would really irritate me that I am wary of.

1) 'Mini Faction'- The idea that players would create a romulan/reman character, play a few missions, and then be told to join the Feds or KDF. If I wanted to play a fed or KDF romulan, I'd buy the hypothetical 'playable federation/kdf romulan' like the already existing 'federation playable klingon' I'd actually rather have that option than a mini-faction, because at least it doesn't slam the door on the possibility of a proper romulan faction in the future.

2) D'Tan faction. I like D'Tan. The reunificationists in the series were sympathetic, and I don't object to the existance of his faction. However, D'Tan does not represent the Romulan Star Empire. When I say I want to play as Romulans, I mean I want sinister plots, grey uniforms with pointy shoulders, a desire for conquest of other races, cutthroat politics, and a general hatred of the KDF and the Federation-not a bunch of bald miners and refugees living in tents in a rainforest. I would be strongly annoyed if this proved to be the case.
Who says you can't have both, they could make a choice for the Rommie char to pick which side. THe Romulan Republic on New Romulus or the Tal Shair
Career Officer
# 50 be mindful of what you wish
03-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Be mindful. They, the powers that be, have always stated that the FEDS have received the lions share of the upgrades and content because a majority of the players were Fed as opposed to KDF. With the creation of a third faction the outcome for future content for the KDF and to a lesser extent the Feds, will be affected as they will be splitting the PIE 3 ways instead of 2.

I, for one, hope they do not release a third faction as the KDF is still bereft in many regards and can you honestly believe the will launch a third faction and give it the actual attention when they cannot even keep the KDF above water in terms of content.

I suspect it is an announcement that will be in conjunction with the new JJ Binks movie...maybe some Romulan themes content released.
Napoleon's final defeat came at Waterloo. Must've been embarrassing. You're the f'ing emperor. You conquered all of Europe, only to lose in a place with a stupid name like Waterloo. Or Watergate, or Whitewater. Note to politicans: Stay on land.