Career Officer
We never got an adequate rationale for why the Tal Shiar would side with the people who blew up Romulus.

So here's the nutty thought:

Romulus didn't blow up. The Iconians relocated the whole planet somewhere safe and swapped in a proxy. This covers the Tal Shiar's loyalty.

Added insanity:

Nero's wife delivered his son to term and Nero's son is a prominent figure on the intact, relocated Romulus.
Career Officer
# 2
03-01-2013, 02:24 PM
That popping sound you heard was my head exploding.

"I won't try to hide behind the Law if what I stand for is what's Right."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Empire Veteran
# 3
03-01-2013, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
We never got an adequate rationale for why the Tal Shiar would side with the people who blew up Romulus.

Romulus didn't blow up. The Iconians relocated the whole planet somewhere safe and swapped in a proxy. This covers the Tal Shiar's loyalty.

Added insanity:

Nero's wife delivered his son to term and Nero's son is a prominent figure on the intact, relocated Romulus.
The Iconians did seem awfully interested in taking Sela back through that gate, and they did have Hakeev giving them a lot of info...

Plus there was that whole 'Taris' mission where our Romulan-in-question was unflinching loyal to her 'masters'... which for a Romulan, is completely and utterly weird.

So maybe something is up for all we know Definitely an interesting thought, even if the 'added insanity' is lol
Was named Trek17, but still an author.
Commander
# 4
03-01-2013, 02:32 PM
Add in some Tholian time travel to maybe even prevent the destruction of Romulus and you've got a world of possibles.

The thing is would CBS let Cryptic undo the idea that Romulus was blown to bits? I doubt it because it plays a big part of JJ Trek.
Empire Veteran
# 5
03-01-2013, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdoxy View Post
Add in some Tholian time travel to maybe even prevent the destruction of Romulus and you've got a world of possibles.

The thing is would CBS let Cryptic undo the idea that Romulus was blown to bits? I doubt it because it plays a big part of JJ Trek.
Actually, that's kinda it: they replaced Romulus with a proxy, and that got blown up, and everyone believed it was the real deal. Thus, JJ Trek happens, and the timeline happens.

But the actual explosion story happens here in the Prime Universe, in STO, so it can be followed up on. The explosion happened, everything happened, but we learn why/how and so on... no actual undoing involved, except for the perceptions of what happened.

Too late for Nero though Still be interesting though
Empire Veteran
# 6
03-01-2013, 02:36 PM
Ok, this whole concept thought is just to wierd to consider.. You realize of course that if this is true that

*sound of breaching charge, weapons fire, and then silence*

*a Romulan wearing a security uniform appears on the screen, frowns briefly just before the screen goes dark*
Release 8.5 "STO The Next Generation"

Let the happy old bug stomping commence, along with refinement toward enhancing each factions play experience!
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
03-01-2013, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post

Added insanity:

Do the Iconians have the technology to build gateways larger than planets? They built a sizable gateway in STO using a hollow asteroid, but I have a hard time believing they could build ones that big.

Though I bet there were probably a lot of Iconian Gateways on the surface of Romulus. I bet they could have evacuated a lot of their people before the nova hit their planet.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-01-2013, 02:38 PM
Anything that undoes JJ's crap is fine by me.

Bring back Romulus!
Career Officer
# 9
03-01-2013, 02:38 PM
I hope not. That just reads like a giant cop-out.
Empire Veteran
# 10
03-01-2013, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexsamx View Post
I hope not. That just reads like a giant cop-out.
How so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by starhound View Post
Anything that undoes JJ's crap is fine by me.

Bring back Romulus!
Umm, unless there's actual time travel involved for our side, STO expanding on this theory simply means we'll understand more about how/why it happened, and getting a better look at the Iconian-Romulan 'relationship'.

So really, JJ Trek continues as normal, completely unaffected.