Ensign
# 11
03-01-2013, 02:46 PM
I didn't really pay attention to all the details, but I'm thinking something along the lines of:
* Iconians took Sela to either use her as a commander, or allow them to insert their own commander into the Romulan remnants.
* Either way the idea is to use the remaining Romulan fleet as a marauding force to spread instability across the quadrant.

Alternatively, the now homeless Romulan fleet is still going to cause some brand of trouble, after having been unified... somehow.

Curious of any of the details I missed eliminate or corroborate these ideas.

Ultimately, I'd rather see the OPs wish come true, but highly doubt CBS would let JJ Trek take that hit.
Empire Veteran
# 12
03-01-2013, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by displaybill View Post
I didn't really pay attention to all the details, but I'm thinking something along the lines of:
* Iconians took Sela to either use her as a commander, or allow them to insert their own commander into the Romulan remnants.
* Either way the idea is to use the remaining Romulan fleet as a marauding force to spread instability across the quadrant.

Alternatively, the now homeless Romulan fleet is still going to cause some brand of trouble, after having been unified... somehow.

Curious of any of the details I missed eliminate or corroborate these ideas.

Ultimately, I'd rather see the OPs wish come true, but highly doubt CBS would let JJ Trek take that hit.
As far as JJ Trek 'taking the hit', as I posted earlier, unless there's time travel involved on our side to prevent Romulus from blowing up, they shouldn't be affected at all
Was named Trek17, but still an author.
Captain
# 13
03-01-2013, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamiyama317 View Post
Do the Iconians have the technology to build gateways larger than planets? They built a sizable gateway in STO using a hollow asteroid, but I have a hard time believing they could build ones that big.

Though I bet there were probably a lot of Iconian Gateways on the surface of Romulus. I bet they could have evacuated a lot of their people before the nova hit their planet.
Well, if the Iconians are in cahoots with the tholians...

the tholians could have used a mass fleet of cloaked webweavers (the ones from the rommie mark vault mission) or drone webweaver sattelites to form an Iconian gate proxy - in the vault mission they plan to use the web for a teleport, or in effect an iconian gateway proxy... or the enire system, due to temporal interference was laced with gateway generators to transport the entire sector

Of course as the tholians dabble in alternate universes (and logically the iconians would too), it would be pretty simple (!) to grab a Romulus that got destroyed and substitute it for Sto/prime Romulus - the question that would need to be answered is why...Omega molecules (if the prime romulus had omega and blew up, the entire sector would have no warp capability and in turn likely no ability to time/dimension travel...a bad event should in the future an important battle should take place there..), technology from the future beyond the iconian or tholians existance, Romulus is a living spaceship, Romulus is a unwitting part of the temporal cold war (tholian/iconan 'slave' labor?) ...theres many possible reasons, just no concrete evidence..
Starfleet Veteran
# 14
03-01-2013, 03:01 PM
I doubt the Tholians are working with the Iconians, because they are investigating Iconian technology. It wouldn't make sense they suddenly been working for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
We never got an adequate rationale for why the Tal Shiar would side with the people who blew up Romulus.

So here's the nutty thought:

Romulus didn't blow up. The Iconians relocated the whole planet somewhere safe and swapped in a proxy. This covers the Tal Shiar's loyalty.

Added insanity:

Nero's wife delivered his son to term and Nero's son is a prominent figure on the intact, relocated Romulus.
You know, it's an interesting possibility. I could see the proxie being a Romulus from another timeline and they simply switched the two.

However, replacing a planet is one thing but the entire Romulan Solar System was wrecked by the Hobus supernova. So the Iconians would need to relocate Romulus if it was returned.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Coming!

Last edited by azurianstar; 03-01-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 15
03-01-2013, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
We never got an adequate rationale for why the Tal Shiar would side with the people who blew up Romulus.

So here's the nutty thought:

Romulus didn't blow up. The Iconians relocated the whole planet somewhere safe and swapped in a proxy. This covers the Tal Shiar's loyalty.

Added insanity:

Nero's wife delivered his son to term and Nero's son is a prominent figure on the intact, relocated Romulus.
Maybe throw in "Future Guy", since he was meant to be a Romulan, and you have a recipe for Romulus saving time travel shenanigans.
---------------------------------------------------
U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-91771 - Nebula-class
Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
Dedication Plaque: "Leave nothing unattempted" - James Cook
Career Officer
# 16
03-01-2013, 03:15 PM
Interesting and large concept for Star Trek. But I could see it happening because the Iconians have been away for millions of years, who knows what more technology they have developed in this time while out on the fringes of the the galaxy, or other galaxies. Perhaps they do have the ability to build a planet sized gate that can transport a planet. Massive stories like this, are what I like. I could see the iconians being even more advanced than they were a long time ago, definitely dealing in alternate universes and time.
"Would you mind not standing on my chest? My hat's on fire." - The Doctor

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Lieutenant
# 17
03-01-2013, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starhound View Post
Anything that undoes JJ's crap is fine by me.

Bring back Romulus!
This.‬‪   ‪   
Ensign
# 18
03-01-2013, 03:43 PM
At first I was like that is crazy talk. But reading the rest of what you all have said, plus the fact that the teaser were seeing is definitely a huge mobilization of Romulan forces, (darken the stars?!) They have to be coming from somewhere, and having the Iconians pull them away last minute makes sense for the Rommies to all of a sudden emerge and have this massive force.

My only hesitation to believing this is that could the story developers at STO thought of this? Last time I believed a theory like this (Mass Effect 3 Indoc Theory) I was very disappointed to say the least. I'll say now what I said then, If it's true then awesome! Great story move that a lot of people won't see coming. But that seems to require a certain amount of faith in the writers to have that in the pipes. I'm not saying that they aren't capable writers but could they have engineered this? I don't know the answer. But I'll play it safe and just assume Romolus was destroyed and the Iconians saved some Tal Shiar and gave them their own "New Rom" or something to that effect with a promise of alliance or its just a playable faction teaser(Ready to march). This way if Leviathan is right I will be surprised and elated!
We'll see soon enough.
Captain
# 19
03-01-2013, 03:52 PM
I believe the correct term for this is "Spontaneous Cranial Eruption"?

In all seriousness we do have a race(s) capable of transporting planets. The Tkon Empire was capable of moving entire star systems. Considering the Iconians came 400,000 years or so after the Tkon, it's not inconceivable that they found an outpost and stole the technology required to pull off such an act. After all, they have had a lot of time to figure out the logistics of it.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 20
03-01-2013, 04:00 PM
What I don't get is why they don't just time travel to right before the Hobus supernova and get it right this time stopping the destruction of Romulus. It would make sense that surivivng Romulans with a warp capable ship would try the Kirk manuver and slingshot around a star to try to change things.