Lt. Commander
# 1 Melee Weapon Stances
03-04-2013, 06:44 PM
Granted this is for something minor, i feel this could get some feedback.

Personally I find it silly that players treat every blade (apart from the Bat'leth and Lirpa) as a fencing sword.

After getting the tholian lobi sword today. I just find that the 'fencing' animation seems to kinda ruin the 'epicness' of the sword.

So could there be a choice as to how you atleast hold these types of blades?

What do you guys think?
Lieutenant
# 2 I Agree
03-04-2013, 06:56 PM
Yes. i can see a melee weapon stance being effected by melee Fighting training background.

Like if you have a Iaido, Kenjutsu or Kendo background you would hold and use the weapon differently than a Western Style Fencer would. and also larger blades could be considered a 2 handed sword which would require another stance altogether.
Captain
# 3
03-04-2013, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3drag0n1977 View Post
Yes. i can see a melee weapon stance being effected by melee Fighting training background.

Like if you have a Iaido, Kenjutsu or Kendo background you would hold and use the weapon differently than a Western Style Fencer would. and also larger blades could be considered a 2 handed sword which would require another stance altogether.
I think it would just be easier to have it tied to your idle stance. You know, like Feminine, Relaxed, Brawler, Thoughtful, etc.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Empire Veteran
# 4
03-04-2013, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
I think it would just be easier to have it tied to your idle stance. You know, like Feminine, Relaxed, Brawler, Thoughtful, etc.
This. Maybe that can adjust how you hold it too. Like a Brawler will be a rougher and more merciless opponent, so they might hold it with 2 hands to deliver strong hard blows.
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post13990891
Rihannsu
# 5
03-04-2013, 08:09 PM
I am going to have to take closer look, but IIRC the Tholian sword uses the Tsunkatse Falchion animation. It's a heavy one-handed(or maybe 1.5) sword. The Nausicaan Tegolar is handled much like a Cutlass or Saber.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 6
03-04-2013, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkrik23 View Post
This. Maybe that can adjust how you hold it too. Like a Brawler will be a rougher and more merciless opponent, so they might hold it with 2 hands to deliver strong hard blows.
That's along the lines of what I was thinking. Thoughtful would be more fencing like, Relaxed and Swagger would be more swashbucklery with lots of Flynning, Creature would be all wild with crazy random slashes...
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
# 7
03-04-2013, 09:19 PM
The one thing that drives me the most crazy about the stances is how you run with a sword above your head. Like you are a Hun charging some Roman soldier. Instead should be off to your side in a standby position either in a one handed or two handed stance. Since above pointed that the sword attacks are fencing stances, when they should be using Claymore or Katana stances.

Be interesting how the NeverWinter team handles their sword stances, maybe the STO team can borrow the tech.
Empire Veteran
# 8
03-04-2013, 11:14 PM
But...I like getting my Sulu on.

Commander
# 9
03-05-2013, 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
The one thing that drives me the most crazy about the stances is how you run with a sword above your head. Like you are a Hun charging some Roman soldier. Instead should be off to your side in a standby position either in a one handed or two handed stance. Since above pointed that the sword attacks are fencing stances, when they should be using Claymore or Katana stances.

Be interesting how the NeverWinter team handles their sword stances, maybe the STO team can borrow the tech.
Oh what? Running whilst wielding a weapon above your head like a maniac is the funniest thing in melee!

My char even does it with the energy whip!
Career Officer
# 10
03-05-2013, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmako View Post
Oh what? Running whilst wielding a weapon above your head like a maniac is the funniest thing in melee!

My char even does it with the energy whip!
Everytime it happens, all I can think is shouting "QA'PLA!" as I go Leroy.

So maybe if it was a rare chance of that stance, it would be pretty funny.