Captain
# 281
03-04-2013, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkkindness2 View Post
Honestly, I'm reserving judgment in regard to the May update bringing a Romulan faction; it has no real bearing on me either way, since I've never had much interest in the Romulan Empire as a whole, and would probably only create one character in the faction as a lark/to see what it's like.
You and the other 88% of the playerbase will do that.

Then the new-ness wears off. And the Romulans are KDF version 2.0, with even less dev attention.

Captain
# 282
03-04-2013, 09:01 PM
I agree no new faction my bet is

ROMULAN LOCK BOXES!! buy keys please

Seems this is what STO and PWE is all about

They elude to faction we get lock boxes everyone will buy like good little sheeple

I dont see any real growth as far as the game is concerned imo.

Once you hit level 50 and complete the story missions there is nothing more to do but grind...not much fun there.
Career Officer
# 283
03-04-2013, 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by messahla View Post
I agree no new faction my bet is

ROMULAN LOCK BOXES!! buy keys please

Seems this is what STO and PWE is all about

They elude to faction we get lock boxes everyone will buy like good little sheeple

I dont see any real growth as far as the game is concerned imo.

Once you hit level 50 and complete the story missions there is nothing more to do but grind...not much fun there.
Aside from being sophomoric, the only reason that we haven't seen Romulan ships in lockboxes it that they've been reserved for a playable Romulan faction since day one. Considering that they've stuck to their guns on this one issue out of so many, I'm going to be extremely skeptical of any suggestion that it'll be a Romulan lockbox.

In regard to your last sentence... have you played any other MMOs? Grinding for better gear/reputation/whatever is par for the course. It's the standard in these types of games. They have announced that the level cap will be going up later this year, though, so we'll see what that brings. Probably a different grind, but who knows? It might be better disguised and more palatable.

In regard to hating Star Trek 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kain9prime View Post
IDIC fail.
Republic Veteran
# 284
03-04-2013, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprcheese View Post
Ok, you're right, I was hasty in dismissing things out of hand.

Hmm, inspecting the code again, it seems that playable Romulans do indeed appear plausible. I still believe they'll be Federation-only, myself. Time will tell.
There is a image named "Choose_Faction_Romulan"

And there are Class icons with specific Romulan empire imagery.
Lt. Commander
# 285
03-04-2013, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskin67 View Post
There is a image named "Choose_Faction_Romulan"

And there are Class icons with specific Romulan empire imagery.
All right, I concede. Romulan faction incoming, brace for impact.
Lt. Commander
# 286 Agreed
03-04-2013, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypl View Post
[insert DUR, IT COULD STILL BE ROMULANS response here]

I'm still puzzled about the first officer thing. What exactly do people want out of this? To play as their first officer? Doing what? I'd rather handle away missions with my own captain.

I feel the same way. Of all the things the community could hope for, this one seems like an oddball, fringe element, consideration. I suppose, if you've maxed out your character allotment, its a way to sneak in another playable toon.
Rihannsu
# 287
03-04-2013, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2bwild1 View Post
A funny vid would be to have a Fed ship - alpha striked destroyed by a de-cloaking Bop

The Bop pops off some fireworks - then gets blown up by an alpha strike by a decloaking fleet defiant - more fireworks

then the fleet defiant gets blown up by an alpha striking de-cloaking Romulan ship!
It's hilarious just thinking about it.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 288
03-04-2013, 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakenop View Post
The reason Romulans will be profitable would be because they are new and another faction to play, we've been stuck with KDF and Starfleet for how many years now? People will jump on that like white on rice. KDF are just not profitable enough , they've lost money on the KDF with the C-store ships.
Sorry first of all I don't really believe it, you're implying most of the people playing STO are long term veterans ... especially since F2P exactly the opposite might be the case, and I doubt the casual F2P crowd even plays with more than one character ...

The only way to make out a real profit out of Romulans would be selling them as expansion pack or something, and I doubt that because they don't charge for "mission content" ... if they would put a price on something like that they either would have to lower C-Store prices or sell an expansion pack for 100-200 bucks ... anyway, the neweness wil wear off and it's gonna be KDF 2.0 from a financial point of view (loose money with new C-Store Ships like you said) ... which seems to be the biggest problem not to complete the KDF ... so the only "profit" here might be some minor marketing ... "Check back on STO we have more Stuff now"

To put it very simply ... why work on any KDF or Romulan related C-Store Stuff, when there are more possible FED costumers, so like I said before it would only make sense if more than ~40% of the playerbase will change long-term to Romulans, which would leave FED and KDF a minority, and seriousy I don't see this happening ...

Last edited by thutmosis85; 03-05-2013 at 12:18 AM.
Rihannsu
# 289
03-05-2013, 12:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thutmosis85 View Post
Why work on any KDF or Romulan related C-Store Stuff, when there are more possible FED costumers, so like I said before it would only make sense if more than ~40% of the playerbase will change long-term to Romulans, which would leave FED and KDF a minority, and seriousy I don't see this happening ...
C-Store stuff? No. Lockboxes, yes. Buy our new lockbox and get a 1 in a billion chance of a cross-faction ship/console/BOFF/DOFF/etc for each of the three factions! Collect 'em all!
Career Officer
# 290
03-05-2013, 12:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captsol View Post
C-Store stuff? No. Lockboxes, yes. Buy our new lockbox and get a 1 in a billion chance of a cross-faction ship/console/BOFF/DOFF/etc for each of the three factions! Collect 'em all!
Well from that point of view "Romulan Lockbox" would be the best solution here ... I doubt they're getting much money from some new Romulan Player who wants to fly a FED, KDF, Alien themed ship ... would kind of defeat the whole purpose of a new Romulan faction ... so they would have to put new Romulan Ships being released in Lockboxes, while selling Fed Ships in the C-Store ?! ...

There would only be more "money" anyway, if the playerbase would increase drastically ... it really doesn't matter if there are 50%+50% of X-people buying Keys or 33%+33%+33% of X-people buying keys ...

If the Romulan Faction would be free(-ish) they actually might loose 33% of Lockbox profits short-term ... I just don't think the guy craving for his Warbird for years, is that interested in the new Jem'Hadar Cruiser ...

btw : just realized they would have to revamp some of the Lockbox/Lobi Stuff for Playable Romulans as well, like the Time Ships ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpalelena View Post
And I see people completely missed the point of my post. I think I need to make it easier to understand.

I never said anything about a complete faction that is on par with the Federation , but a small skeleton faction akin to the KDF at the earliest seasons.

What STF revamp? There will be none. What PVP? They just need to add a third spawn point to the alread existing ones.

The starbases I missed, but its not really that hard to do either.

They can reuse the interiors and the looks of already existing romulan starbases that you encounter on a Fed mission.

Why do people think that I was talking about a complete Federation like Romulan faction with 40 ships, 15 races . I mean in that thread... Tiny, unimportant things like Romulan caitians? Really? I mean, O Relly? A faction absolutly needs *that* before it can be launched?
Of course you might not need Romulan Caitians for a new faction, you don't need to make fun of Stuff not really necessary, while just dismissing everything that is ...

But the skeleton-Faction you're describing here would have nothing else to do, than fly around in circles ...

1. PVP ... just a new spawn point ... now you're being just silly ... Arena ? 3 vs 3 Teams seriously, that's basically gonna lead to KDF+ROM (because of the Cloak) vs. FED ... Capture and Hold ... how should this even work with 3 Teams ... (again you're missing lots of stuff here)
2. STFs will need new equipment for Romulans, Romulan NPCs on DS9 etc (again you're missing lots of stuff here)
3. Starbases ... again you forgot about lots of new Fleet Ships, which were half of the content of Season 6 ...

There has to be some point playing this stuff, even for Romulans ... that's what you forgot ... even if it's just a Endgame-Faction it's gonna need the content of ~3 Seasons ...

-> any kind of Endgame Content will need at least some kind of Revamp, and you're basically just dismissing everything with "thats not that hard", so it's not about missing your point ... I just don't see it ... the only real solution to dismiss this i could think of, is playable Romulans within FED/KDF, so not really a new "faction" per se ...

Last edited by thutmosis85; 03-05-2013 at 06:53 AM.