Empire Veteran
# 291
03-05-2013, 03:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkkindness2 View Post
However, the available evidence from the game files, as presented above, along with extensive effort that Cryptic is going to to hide/hype information about this release, seems to point to playable Romulans of some sort, whether as a faction or as members of the current factions.
Of course!

You know why? because they're redesigning the character creator, and since we all know that Romulans will be playable at some point (I've never said it wouldn't happen), it would be a waste of time to be forced to redesign the character creator in a year or so "if and when" a new faction is released.

The whole point of this thread isn't to say that they aren't working on it in any way, it's rather to say that it's not going to happen in may. The character creator only proves one point: they're planning to add a Romulan faction, but the evidence i've gathered in the OP just means it's not going to happen any time soon.

Having boffs and icons doesn't mean it's ready. It just means it will happen. The major question is when, and i really think that designers have no time to develop a new factions when they have so much content to release in 3 months. Character artists might of course have too much time on their hands and do some preliminary work.
Captain
# 292
03-05-2013, 03:28 AM
Then by your logic, they may just as be adding these files as a mental exercise.

It is possible to explain everything in almost any way you want, but the most sensible one is usually the true one.
Survivor of Romulus
# 293
03-05-2013, 03:54 AM
If a Romulan faction is coming, I am putting money on you having to side with either the KDF or the Federation....

Fed Eng (Main). Fed Sci. Fed Tac. Rom Sci (KDF)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsune424 View Post
Here is your ticket to the USS Stupidity, Third class, four tacks on the chair, rules state you MUST sit on the chair, no standing, or hovering above the tacks, thank you have a nice day
Rihannsu
# 294
03-05-2013, 05:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprcheese View Post
Ok, you're right, I was hasty in dismissing things out of hand.

Hmm, inspecting the code again, it seems that playable Romulans do indeed appear plausible. I still believe they'll be Federation-only, myself. Time will tell.
Then the KDF will also need to be absorbed into the Federation. There is no other option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunfrancks View Post
If a Romulan faction is coming, I am putting money on you having to side with either the KDF or the Federation....
As I stated above, the only option left to the devs is to combine all playable character species under the umbrella of the Federation...and risk alienating a significant portion of the playerbase.

Last edited by pyryck; 03-05-2013 at 05:39 AM.
Captain
# 295
03-05-2013, 05:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyryck View Post
Then the KDF will also need to be absorbed into the Federation. There is no other option.
Given comments made about fixing queue times for KDF players, that's not entirely out of the realm of possibility.
Career Officer
# 296
03-05-2013, 05:44 AM
The OP is right, no Romulan faction (or mini-faction) in May. Most sensible to me is a New Romulus expansion, perhaps with something called the New Romulus Defense Force addressing the military of the Romulans. A starbase isn't completely out of the question. I'm betting it'll set the stage for what organization the Romulan players will serve. Perhaps a FE or a replacement for Reputation Mission #5 to introduce it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jengoz View Post
Silly Rabbit, the Devs don't play the game. That's why they have no idea about the problems.
Commander
# 297
03-05-2013, 05:47 AM
Well i'm on the side of optimism. I reckon that the May update will blow our minds! I am wanting Cryptic to launch something so spectacular that it will silence all the skeptics!

Come on Cryptic don't let us down!

Personally, i'm in my thirties (not being precise! lol) so i would like to see some mini chapter involving the Wrath of Khan and some severely OP U.S.S Reliant to contend with! With all the content about the mirror universe, time travel etc, its not an unrealistic suggestion! Also, we do already have the Mutara sector in the game already.....
Lt. Commander
# 298
03-05-2013, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash525 View Post
None, but then we've only had one game (at least, one that I am aware of) that we've been able to play as Klingons.
STO, the three Starfleet Commands, New Worlds, Armada, Klingon Academy - of course, the only one of those which is *solely* Klingon (which, given the context, might have been what you meant) is Klingon Academy, while New Worlds, the Starfleet Commands and Armada all allow you to play as Klingons, Federation *and* Romulans. Technically there's Birth of the Federation (Fed, Klinks and Rommies are all factions there) as well, but since it doesn't actually have a *story* (oh, and there's Klingon, but you're technically a Starfleet officer there, just one that is playing the role of a Klingon in a Klingon-oriented holo-simulation. Also, the game portion is a bit lacking)...

(I realize this comes a tad too late, but, well, no one seems to have commented on it before, and I might as well get around to make a first post on the forum sooner or later)

Last edited by lordinsane; 03-05-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Community Moderator
# 299
03-05-2013, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpalelena View Post
Then by your logic, they may just as be adding these files as a mental exercise.

It is possible to explain everything in almost any way you want, but the most sensible one is usually the true one.
Keep in mind that there have been data-mining expeditions in the past that found things that have yet to be turned on, a year or more later. Sometimes stuff goes in the code in preparation for a feature that doesn't work out, or that is long down the road before it's added, because people are working on a portion of the code necessary for the future plans and it's not modular enough to leave it out of subsequent builds.

This is true of every MMO, and it's one reason why they discourage such data mining.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google