Ensign
# 51
03-01-2013, 05:03 PM
I think it would be awesome for new Playable Factions to be added. However I simply feel that the KDF needs the love first and actually be finished before a new faction is released. Hell maybe for all we know with this large update the KDF does get finished as they promised 3 years ago before launch and add the Romulans. But.... Alas that is an unrealistic wish. Will be interested in seeing what all the noise and hype end up being when the time comes.
Career Officer
# 52
03-01-2013, 05:20 PM
Any talk of a Romulan faction is irrelevant. Without more facts, speculation is futile.
Most JJ Trek hate = IDIC fail.
Quote:
Most who don't like the new Star Trek either didn't like TOS, don't remember TOS, or didn't see TOS
Empire Veteran
# 53
03-01-2013, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thutmosis85 View Post
Not to forget :
Good point, added to the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordagamemnonb5 View Post
Any talk of a Romulan faction is irrelevant. Without more facts, speculation is futile.
We do have some facts. We roughly know what season 8/ the "meh update" is about. There is no dev blog saying it explicitely but if you put together all the little elements we get occasionally then you have what I mentionned in my OP. And time constraints are also a hard fact.
Career Officer
# 54
03-01-2013, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
And time constraints are also a hard fact.
The only problem with bringing up any apparent time constraints is that it requires one to believe that Cryptic only recently started working on whatever it is they are working on.

Knowing how much the devs like to keep things close to the chest whatever the May update is could have been worked on since the end of Season 7.

I don't care either way (I'm neither a believer nor a skeptic) but we have ZERO facts as to the precise nature of the May update is. Any attempt to prove or disprove a Romulan faction is, as the Borg would say, futile. There is not enough hard evidence to support either position.
Most JJ Trek hate = IDIC fail.
Quote:
Most who don't like the new Star Trek either didn't like TOS, don't remember TOS, or didn't see TOS
Starfleet Veteran
# 55
03-01-2013, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thutmosis85 View Post
After replacing "March beneath the Raptors Wings" with "Our shadow will dim the stars."
You mean the one that goes with the picture of Romulan Warships near a nebula that doesn't seem to show anything Iconian related.
Captain
# 56
03-01-2013, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyryck View Post
The choice of words used gives a lot away. What sort of released content would be "launched"?
A brand new FE series. I got emails about the one from last year.
Captain
# 57
03-01-2013, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
they are the reason we are at war....
The Undine would like a word with you. Please report to fluidic space ASAP.
Lieutenant
# 58
03-01-2013, 05:54 PM
The image in the new teaser shows at least 3 ships, possibly 4, that we have never seen before, all Romulan silhouettes, why would they suddenly pump out 3 or 4 new ships that we've never seen and aren't really needed to progress the storyline, except to provide additional content where it is needed?
Captain
# 59
03-01-2013, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordagamemnonb5 View Post
The only problem with bringing up any apparent time constraints is that it requires one to believe that Cryptic only recently started working on whatever it is they are working on.
Let's check the timeline!

There wasn't anything being done in the year leading up to Atari selling to PWE. That is verified by DSthal's own statements. The whole "no cups in the kitchen" commentary.

The work being done right after the sale was all F2P conversion. That's also confirmed, and well tracked with the dev blog series.

So you're looking at a pretty small stretch of time where they could have been working on a Romulan factino, but then again, there was the statement "no new factions until the KDF is complete." Also, those comments can be combined with the DStahl statements about how "PWE loves multi-faction, and PvP so the KDF will get some development attention with this sale." Backed up by Stormshade posts.

Then we know they worked on Starbases, and "crafting" which became resource sinks and more grinding. Then reputation systems.

So I don't know, it seems like there just isn't a whole lot of wiggle room in their history to show they were working on Romulans.

I think they've done more work on "New Hair Tech."
Rihannsu
# 60
03-01-2013, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
A brand new FE series. I got emails about the one from last year.
A brand new FE series would require the entire STO team to work 6-day weeks for a couple of months?

Dan already mentioned there being a revamp of the character creation system coming with the May update. Why would they need to revamp the character creation system for just a couple of FE missions?