Lt. Commander
# 1 If aliens landed today
02-27-2013, 02:46 PM
If alins landed today in a public view that can't be covered up (seen by too many people, televised, etc) do you think people would accept it or freak the heck out?

Even if they were friendly well meaning "we want to be friends" aliens, I think it would be pandemonium. It'd be interesting to watch in a "we are so messed up" kinda way. (except that I'm still technically in the military on terminal leave so I'd be recalled most likely. Then I'd be pissed. Stupid aliens.)

The only thing that would make it really funny is if they were actually Vulcans from the planet Vulcan. Then you'd have diehard fans erecting churches and wearing fake pointy ears and stuff.

But since they're more likely to be little green or grey men, that would really make people go nuts. Even if the aliens said "Look, if you guys can get all of your world leaders to meet with us we'll tell you how to solve all of these issues you have that are making you kill yourselves." and they were sincerely honest, I don't see people trusting them. Personally I'd welcome our new alien overlords while wetting myself with fear.

Unless they tell me I'm their exiled king or something.
Career Officer
# 2
02-27-2013, 02:55 PM
I think we have come along ways that if there was an alien landing in a public area, it wouldnt cause chaos, and people may even welcome it. But it would all depend on the nature of the landing, do they come in peace, or here for our natural resources.

The thing about humanity is that some of us hate change, and also fear the unknown. But with how the movie industry has made so many millions of dollars off aliens in the box office, and with everything out there I really do think its really de-sensitised us to the point that we would be like "OH did you hear aliens landed in new york!" "NO WAY.. AWSOME!"

But in the end you never know how the world would react.. it be 50/50. And also you have to figure what the governments would do, and knowing them they use military force first then peacefull disussion.
Like my Fan Page Here
xXLocutusXx
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-27-2013, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlocutusofborgx View Post
I think we have come along ways that if there was an alien landing in a public area, it wouldnt cause chaos, and people may even welcome it. But it would all depend on the nature of the landing, do they come in peace, or here for our natural resources.
Now, I'm seeing chaos. At the very least people would go all doomsday prepper and start buying/stealing/raiding food, guns and stuff from stores. Not everyone, but enough. Almost everything would shut down.

Quote:
The thing about humanity is that some of us hate change, and also fear the unknown. But with how the movie industry has made so many millions of dollars off aliens in the box office, and with everything out there I really do think its really de-sensitised us to the point that we would be like "OH did you hear aliens landed in new york!" "NO WAY.. AWSOME!"
Undoubtedly the entertainment industry has a lot to do with it, but as many people that say "AWESOME" just as many would say "WE'RE DOOMED!". Because think about it...actual aliens from another planet would change A LOT of things.

Quote:
But in the end you never know how the world would react.. it be 50/50. And also you have to figure what the governments would do, and knowing them they use military force first then peacefull disussion.
Thats why I said specifically the aliens tell us "We are here peacefully.". Even if they said "We don't want your planet, your water, your resources or your women, we just want to establish relations with you and be friends.". But of course the military would be involved. Thats expected. As long as no one thinks "Lets bomb them!" because that would be crazy. My mother used to like to watch "V" back in the 80s. I never watched it but I got the basic idea that aliens were here for the water and people were fighting them yadayada...thats about it, right? Because I told her back then if they can get from wherever parsecs away to here they could kill us all easily. There wouldn't be a "brave resistence". It'd be like a modern army attacked by cro-magnons.

I'd like to think that even really stupid governments would figure that out.
Rihannsu
# 4
02-27-2013, 03:08 PM
I think everyone will react differently to varying degrees, but i also think the negative reactions would cloud the positive ones. ie the person jumping with joy at the sight of an alien will be overshadowed by the one shooting it with their gun. once you've attacked them, even if its a handful, you cant take that back.

it also depends on a few factors.

1) what do they look like? orion slave girls will get a different reaction that the skitters off 'falling skies'

2) what country do they land in? im sure there would be a different reaction in Switzerland than say Iraq.

3) how immediately friendly are they. have they somehow managed to learn our language? do their ships look like flying weapons? if they cant communicate with us straight away it would only cause friction and tension, especially if their look and mannerisms were totally different.

personally i think it would be a disaster. if human kill each other over land, money and religion then who knows what kind of carnage would occur if aliens turned up. No matter how many people welcome them, there would be enough hatred and fear to turn it into a disaster.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-27-2013, 03:19 PM
Well, as long as they don't land in Montana...
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-27-2013, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
I think everyone will react differently to varying degrees, but i also think the negative reactions would cloud the positive ones. ie the person jumping with joy at the sight of an alien will be overshadowed by the one shooting it with their gun. once you've attacked them, even if its a handful, you cant take that back.

it also depends on a few factors.

1) what do they look like? orion slave girls will get a different reaction that the skitters off 'falling skies'
Lets say they look like the classic bug eyed booble head grey aliens. I'd actually trust that more than Orion Slave Girls. Even if they were hot I'd think it was a trick. Unless of course they said they were my concubines and I'm they're long lost king, hidden on earth as a baby to escape the Mertheniual Nebula Wars....(oops, I mean, I know nothing about that, I'm human...really....)

Quote:
2) what country do they land in? im sure there would be a different reaction in Switzerland than say Iraq

3) how immediately friendly are they. have they somehow managed to learn our language? do their ships look like flying weapons? if they cant communicate with us straight away it would only cause friction and tension, especially if their look and mannerisms were totally different.
Well, if they "call ahead", that is let us actually see them through astronomy coming to the planet it would certainly freak people out. Even if they sent a signal saying they have learned our languages and they come in peace, etc. As for the ship, lets just say its basically a Flying Saucer. I mean if it looked like a K'Tinga Class Cruiser we'd probably lob every nuke on the planet at it. They could even land in some unclaimed part of the ocean as to not antagonize any nation. (I was going to say they land in the UK because landing in Washington is oh so corny...plus they'd have every missile ever built flying at them.) Heck, if they land in Texas someone is definitely going to take a shot at 'em.

Quote:
personally i think it would be a disaster. if human kill each other over land, money and religion then who knows what kind of carnage would occur if aliens turned up. No matter how many people welcome them, there would be enough hatred and fear to turn it into a disaster.
Thats why I said the aliens announce that they are coming in peace and just want to be space buddies. Would we be able to get over our fear eventually? Because the instance the general public learns not only that aliens are here, but that they EXIST aty all it changes everything. Even if the aliens came to ask for Star Trek reruns because an ion storm disrupted their recieving the last few episodes of TNG.

Think about how it would really change stuff if they just wanted to give us a method of clean, safe renewable cheap energy because they did that to save their own planet from the issues we have and didn't want to see us go through it....it would be awesome, sure.....but it would put fossil fuels out of business.
Career Officer
# 7
02-27-2013, 03:52 PM
Space buddies? *deadpan expression*

The motivation for why any non-terrestrial species would be interested in coming to Earth is clear: our unique blue ball of diverse biomes and resources. While statistically speaking, there is likely to be countless other Earth-like planets in our own galaxy alone, they are still very far apart. Assuming nothing will ever travel faster than light (which is a reasonable assumption), the sheer effort of getting to us from where they are would only make sense for two reasons: to expand their assets in an 'assured to be successful' manner or because they are in dire need of what our blue ball can offer them. We'd be well advised to throw everything we can at them before we're snuffed out and our innards are melted down for fertilizer.

If our own species is still around by the time the Sun is about to kick the bucket, thats exactly the situation we'll be in too.
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-27-2013, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik View Post
Space buddies? *deadpan expression*

The motivation for why any non-terrestrial species would be interested in coming to Earth is clear: our unique blue ball of diverse biomes and resources. While statistically speaking, there is likely to be countless other Earth-like planets in our own galaxy alone, they are still very far apart. Assuming nothing will ever travel faster than light (which is a reasonable assumption), the sheer effort of getting to us from where they are would only make sense for two reasons: to expand their assets in an 'assured to be successful' manner or because they are in dire need of what our blue ball can offer them. We'd be well advised to throw everything we can at them before we're snuffed out and our innards are melted down for fertilizer.

If our own species is still around by the time the Sun is about to kick the bucket, thats exactly the situation we'll be in too.
Which would be horrific if they are, as I said "Sincerely coming in peace and don't want to anything nasty to us.".

Like if they looked at that accusation and said "Oh, we've learned how to travel FTL by using hyperspace/wormholes...you know like the fictional warp drive you have in that show you guys like so much.".

Because honestly, they'd have nothing to gain by lying...you know, seeing how they could kill us all from orbit.
Empire Veteran
# 9
02-27-2013, 04:07 PM
I'd be totally accepting of friendly, 'we come in peace' aliens once that was proven they were friendly without a doubt.

Honestly, to me, the real problems would probably come from two areas:

Religious extremists

Espionage

Religious extremists would be obvious, the ones who would declare the aliens 'the spawn from Hell' and such things. They'd do everything in their power to demonize the aliens and use scare tactics to keep people on their side, and they'd be the ones who'd want the aliens to leave.

Whether or not you agree with Carl Sagan, the book/movie Contact is what I feel, a good example at how it could very realistically happen. Maybe it is a bit more on the extreme end of the spectrum, but I majorly doubt that really really religious types would be...nice about it, and many people would be scared and unsure about their place in the universe, and thus flock to such groups due to those emotions.

Espionage. This would come from two groups:

A. Big business who would see their various power-bases starting to break down, and they'd do everything in their power to sabotage the aliens.

B. Other governments. Namely they would try and 'friendly up' to the aliens, in order to gain an advantage over other governments, and possibly try to out-right steal technology for their country and their country only.

If aliens did exist, and appeared today, I'd hope that maybe any governments who KNEW this would come clean about it.

Captain
# 10
02-27-2013, 04:31 PM
If humans were spacefarers and had begun to move outside of our own solar system then I could see others taking a passive interest, making the overtures of peaceful interaction since we will be encountering each other at some point, but as we are right now, I would be deeply suspicious, why would they come here? What do they want?
Even with the most advance technology it would still be a major endeavor that would need to have better justification than just to come say hi.
When the Spanish discovered America it didn't turn out so great for the natives.
Then we have the flip side, humans a notoriously xenophobic, we can barely get along with the different varieties of our own species, we may say we would welcome visitors as a vague notion, but it actually happening would be culture shock of biblical proportions. The knowledge that humans are not the only intelligent life in the universe, not the most advanced, not the center of all things, would be too bitter a pill to swallow for many, a visitation that doesn't end in violence and pandemonium would be miraculous.
If Aliens came here they would have to spend a long time in orbit getting the whole world used to idea before ever considering making a landing, even then the question of why they came remains. One thing would be certain, the world would be changed, forever.