Empire Veteran
# 1 Just hang in there guys...
03-02-2013, 12:37 AM
I picked up a bit of information today from someone I trust, who really really should not have told me, and whom I am pretty sure has the strait dope.

The leaker is an old buddy of mine ((old computer and gaming dudes good old boy network)) but he knows my interest (and has heard me ***** and gripe) but only told me about KDF stuff. To be fair I will not reveal the exact details of what he told me. Now he is not a STO gamer period, nada, not even. Fact is he hasn't done any computer gaming for years now.. no time for it in his profession, but he tossed some info my way that had just the right touch of STO technobabble.

The none NDA stuff; ie: gossip.

He told me the folk at Cryptic really are working thier tooshies off, and some have been putting in stupidly long hours and have had to be told to "go home, get some sleep dammit!" A great many 60+ hour weeks happening across the board, including a couple instances of being woken up at the keyboard in the morning with a Peets and a scone. (I'm not sure if I belive that though.. I don't know if they have a Peets coffee down south that far..)

The info that I wont go into detail on; ie: the leak! Carefully coached in generalities..

There is going to be other stuff before we see the KDF content. (but we knew that) What is coming is more then just the tutorial is the word. More then that I wont say because it just depends on how much they can get done. Now, here is the juicy part. Many on the dev team are busting buns not just to meet the goals but exceed the set goals by apparently a goodly amount on what is all ready a rather full plate.

What convinces me its the strait dope and not a line of "here let me improve your mood with a white lie" B.S. is the stuff he shouldn't know about unless hes been following the game over the last three years.. (which I can promise you he has not.. I'm not sure he even likes Trek!) Need an example?.. He knows about Zero's dog!

Patience warriors. We'll hear the official word likely mid to late April, early May. I just hope the staff truely is able to finish all I heard about.. Some stuff is dependent on getting yet other stuff done first, and we are not likely (my guess on that) to see everything at the same time. I'm going to work real hard to be a nice diplomatic KDF type person between now and then. I don't want to give 'em any reason to not come through.

No questions please.. I would really hate to let slip anything that reveals my source. It would cause un needed complications. I also told him to please NOT tell me any more in the future. But I'm glad he did this time... because I really do feel better. And if he did slip me a carefully researched line of bs..well, thats betwixt he and I, and I will revenge!

Khemaraa sends..
Release 8.5 "STO The Next Generation"

Let the happy old bug stomping commence, along with refinement toward enhancing each factions play experience!
Career Officer
# 2
03-02-2013, 01:20 AM
Here's hoping your source is accurate!

And they definitely have Peets in Silicon Valley. According to their store list they're in Los Gatos, CA - home of Cryptic Studios. They're as far south as San Diego. (any further south and you're in Mexico.)

"Freedom is just a pretty idea unless it's backed by Force."

An Introduction to the Gorn (RP guide) / Ten Forward Fanfics
Lieutenant
# 3
03-02-2013, 04:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldkhemaraa View Post
I picked up a bit of information today from someone I trust, who really really should not have told me, and whom I am pretty sure has the strait dope.

The leaker is an old buddy of mine ((old computer and gaming dudes good old boy network)) but he knows my interest (and has heard me ***** and gripe) but only told me about KDF stuff. To be fair I will not reveal the exact details of what he told me. Now he is not a STO gamer period, nada, not even. Fact is he hasn't done any computer gaming for years now.. no time for it in his profession, but he tossed some info my way that had just the right touch of STO technobabble.

The none NDA stuff; ie: gossip.

He told me the folk at Cryptic really are working thier tooshies off, and some have been putting in stupidly long hours and have had to be told to "go home, get some sleep dammit!" A great many 60+ hour weeks happening across the board, including a couple instances of being woken up at the keyboard in the morning with a Peets and a scone. (I'm not sure if I belive that though.. I don't know if they have a Peets coffee down south that far..)

The info that I wont go into detail on; ie: the leak! Carefully coached in generalities..

There is going to be other stuff before we see the KDF content. (but we knew that) What is coming is more then just the tutorial is the word. More then that I wont say because it just depends on how much they can get done. Now, here is the juicy part. Many on the dev team are busting buns not just to meet the goals but exceed the set goals by apparently a goodly amount on what is all ready a rather full plate.

What convinces me its the strait dope and not a line of "here let me improve your mood with a white lie" B.S. is the stuff he shouldn't know about unless hes been following the game over the last three years.. (which I can promise you he has not.. I'm not sure he even likes Trek!) Need an example?.. He knows about Zero's dog!

Patience warriors. We'll hear the official word likely mid to late April, early May. I just hope the staff truely is able to finish all I heard about.. Some stuff is dependent on getting yet other stuff done first, and we are not likely (my guess on that) to see everything at the same time. I'm going to work real hard to be a nice diplomatic KDF type person between now and then. I don't want to give 'em any reason to not come through.

No questions please.. I would really hate to let slip anything that reveals my source. It would cause un needed complications. I also told him to please NOT tell me any more in the future. But I'm glad he did this time... because I really do feel better. And if he did slip me a carefully researched line of bs..well, thats betwixt he and I, and I will revenge!

Khemaraa sends..
"Hang in there" for what? Even if Cryptic quadrupled their staff, (120 people?) and worked 24 hrs each, the game would still be, hopelessly, behind the 8-ball for where it should be 3 years after launch. I wish I shared your optimism, but until STO finds a new home, if ever, I fear the game will sputter along like it has been, barely paying the light bill, until all the F2P influx has leveled, and finally wink out of existence. I give it 2 years, outside chance.
Career Officer
# 4
03-02-2013, 04:39 AM
We will see I suppose.. KDF being fleshed out has been one of the biggest sticky point for me to stay committed to this game.

SERVER NOT RESPONDING (1701s)
Commander
# 5
03-02-2013, 04:49 AM
I won't hold my breathe just to be once again hardly dissapponted.
Cryptic was the wrong company for a Star Trek MMO and will ever be.

They will never make the KDF a full faction, not without serious pressure put on the Devs and staff.
Cryptic's shamefull history with the KDF

http://www.stowiki.org/User:Peregrin...ryptic_Studios
Empire Veteran
# 6
03-02-2013, 04:59 AM
Pretty much what Hawks said it would be awesome if its and the devs are busting their butts off to the KDFs benefit but after 3 years of them stringing us along I am not holding out hope for anything more than a poorly done rehash of the tutorial.
toDuj 'oS rol.
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
03-02-2013, 05:03 AM
I said it many times before, I don't expect the KDF to get all at the same time.
I don't even expect the KDF to be equal to the Fed. faction, ever.
What I want to see is continuos work to improve and a glimpse of hope.

Worry not, we'll hang on hanging on!

----------------------------------------------
Show your support for the Revamped Galaxy Class Exploration Cruiser here!
Captain
# 8
03-02-2013, 05:45 AM
I would like to give a thumbs-up to the devs, since they're working overtime trying to really get things done. I, for one, appreciate that.

At the same time, I am understandably cautious about getting enthusiastic about anything, lest I be disappointed. I'll wait and see what comes out, and commend them on what's good and what's bad. Here's to hoping they make needed changes to the KDF faction, to PvP, and to the game in general.

Qapla'!
Captain
# 9
03-02-2013, 05:53 AM
As with many forum posters, I remain cautiously optimistic.

If anything, they will flimsily "complete" the KDF in order to have the excuse to cut away the last bit of legitimate dil farming in the game: Marauding for Contraband.

Don't say you didn't ask for this coming dil farming nerf, when you badgered the Devs to finish your little faction when the endgame was all that mattered.

Every thing comes at a price, and at Cryptic that price has always been grinding even more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.

Last edited by khayuung; 03-02-2013 at 06:13 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 10
03-02-2013, 06:06 AM
This is news that encourages a higher level of optimism on my part -- thank you, Khemara.

One thing...if this really is the update we have been waiting for, and the Klingon faction will finally be complete...that is going to cause a storm of rage on the Federation forums...

Not that I am concerned by that...in fact, it might be fun...