Captain
# 11
03-02-2013, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaaahhhhhnnnnn View Post
Emac that video is hilarious, I cannot believe I have never seen it before! Qudos!
Watch the whole thing! And the other reviews! They're all inspired genius.
Captain
# 12
03-02-2013, 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodwhity View Post
The new films are not star trek anymore. There is no great moral behind it, its just popcorn-kino.
Just like about 75% of TOS episodes then.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-02-2013, 02:46 AM
people care about what happens in star trek land. when star trek land gets destroyed or erased from existance, it sucks. the whole parallel timeline thing exists just because it's theoretically possible that in this instance, an alternate timeline was created instead of altering the existing one. we need that in order to be okay with it. and the fact that it's the official story is the only thing keeping the movie theater suicide numbers to a minimum.
Fleet: Stargate-Union
Pizza: Pepperoni
Kalek shel'tek!

"Do not make me look foolish by allowing yourself to be murdered" -Lord Yu

Last edited by blevok; 03-02-2013 at 02:48 AM.
Rihannsu
# 14
03-02-2013, 03:00 AM
None of the previous time travel events in star trek used a blackhole. if you assume that this is hard science and not just a bunch of guys writing a script then you must conclude that blackhole time travel is different to normal time travel.

blackholes have been shown to have a connection to time travel in DS9 where miles is flashing forward.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Captain
# 15
03-02-2013, 03:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
None of the previous time travel events in star trek used a blackhole.
In Tomorrow Is Yesterday, the Enterprise slingshotted around a black hole to reach 1969. Didn't fly through it, but technically it used the gravity.
Career Officer
# 16
03-02-2013, 03:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshicus View Post
Why get so worked up about it. The new films are fun adventure flicks in the spirit of the original TV series. The new films are about youth, the old films were about growing old.

There's space for both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshicus View Post
Just like about 75% of TOS episodes then.
Either you didn't watch TOS or you didn't understand it.....
FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
Commander
# 17
03-02-2013, 03:15 AM
An alternate universe exists, yes. Technically thousands do.

I subscribe to the alternate universe where Sisko returns from the wormhole, travels through time and punches JJ Abrams in the face to prevent his movies from ever being created. That is the universe that is canon to me.

Fanfiction! ZOMG! Read it now!
kate-wintersbite.deviantart.com/art/0x01-Treachery-293641403
Captain
# 18
03-02-2013, 03:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by assimilatedktar View Post
Either you didn't watch TOS or you didn't understand it.....
A handful of TOS episodes pushed the boundaries of what was acceptable on TV at the time, and carried valid, moral arguments.

And the rest were fun, good sci-fi with a handful of duds thrown in the mix (Spock's Brain, Elaan of Troyius...).
Rihannsu
# 19
03-02-2013, 03:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodwhity View Post
The new films are not star trek anymore. There is no great moral behind it, its just popcorn-kino.

This argument never makes any sense. Does every single episode and film have to have some great morality to it? because i assure you they dont.

there is no 'star trek' that can be defined and quantified in one sentence. it is many things to many people.

many of the episodes were just action episodes where they had to deal with a problem with kirks fists. in XI there is the aspect of coming of age, turning your life around, friendship, love, loss, forgiveness even to nero at the end, who turns down kirks offer to save him. its not purely stuff blowing up for 2 hours.

so why if XI highlights one aspect of trek, does it make it less trek because it did not show the other issues quite as much? why does it make it less trek when other films and episodes have done the exact same?

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Captain
# 20
03-02-2013, 06:03 AM
I find it funny to see Trek fans who are so very close minded, especially with a franchise that promotes IDIC, hell they invented the saying.