Rihannsu
# 1 Ashtaku's Foundry Episodes
03-02-2013, 10:17 AM
Ashtaku's Foundry Episodes

Thanks for visiting my Foundry thread! For more information about my Foundry episodes, please use the links below.

Episode List

Last edited by ashtaku; 04-04-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Rihannsu
# 2
03-02-2013, 10:21 AM
Foundry Challenge VI Second Place

Mission Name: The Tangled Webs We Weave
Project ID: ST-HH4IN2WUC
Allegiance: Federation
Minimum Level: None

Hi everyone, as some of you may have already seen in the Foundry Contest 6 thread, I recently published a mission entitled The Tangled Webs We Weave. This is my first Foundry mission, and I hope you all find it fun and entertaining.

Quote:
This mission is part of the STO Forums' Foundry Challenge #6

In a daring surprise attack, Tholian forces have broken through Starfleet lines to launch a deep strike against Starbase 24. With most of the fleet occupied in other theaters, you must race to join Tactical Group 90 for a counterattack. By the time the crisis is over, you will face the enemy, explore a ghost ship, and put your moral fiber to the test.

To begin this mission, travel to the Reytan system in Sirius Sector Block.
Tangled Webs is a story-driven mission with a mix of roleplaying, combat, and exploration. My goal was to create a coherent narrative that works for as many players as possible while telling an interesting story. Some highlights include:
  • Fully scalable for solo play and team play
  • Dynamic mission objectives based on character rank
  • Optional platforming section
  • Player's decisions impact final outcome
  • Species- and Career-specific dialogue options
  • Features a seldom-seen faction

Reviews:
CatStarSTO
Priority One Podcast

If you play my mission, please take a moment to let me know what you thought. This is my first Foundry mission, and I'm eager to continue improving my authoring techniques. Constructive feedback is the best way for me to accomplish that goal, so please don't hold back

Special thanks to the officers of Tactical Group 90 for volunteering their starships and likenesses for this mission!

Last edited by ashtaku; 04-04-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
03-02-2013, 01:24 PM
oohhh sweet

Im going to go try this out

Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
Rihannsu
# 4
03-23-2013, 02:42 PM
Hi folks,

I just published an updated version that addresses a lot of the feedback I received during the Foundry Challenge.
  • The mission introduction now notes that it contains an optional EV Suit section.
  • The tactical dialogue option is properly identified
  • Cleaned up a few plot holes
  • Added a third leg to the platforming section
  • Improved the function of the final map. You should no longer get the Armory Officer pop up unless you specifically initiate the conversation.
  • Clarified what the after-action report means by "left" and "right."

Please let me know what you think
Rihannsu
# 5
03-23-2013, 04:14 PM
I have to say this was a really fun one. It got my vote.

I did have to wonder one thing though.... Talking to the Cardassian captain had two options for people who could be easily mistake for members of the alliance and people who couldn't. Which side do Vorta go on? One of my chars IS a Vorta.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Rihannsu
# 6
04-04-2013, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
I have to say this was a really fun one. It got my vote.

I did have to wonder one thing though.... Talking to the Cardassian captain had two options for people who could be easily mistake for members of the alliance and people who couldn't. Which side do Vorta go on? One of my chars IS a Vorta.
Mark, glad you liked the mission and thank you for your vote! I was really blown away when I saw my mission tied for 2nd.

As for the Vorta question... I did some digging around on the wikis and couldn't find much about the mirror universe version of the Dominion and what it's political relations are, so I'd say either path is fair game.

On a related note, I just published version 1.2. This release addresses a pathing bug that caused some players to take damage from the fire pit when they didn't fall in. If you enjoyed the platforming section from the Foundry Challenge version, I encourage you to try the new (twice as long, and now bug-free!) version in 1.2.
Career Officer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtaku View Post
Hmmm, since you're backlogged I guess I better get in line now

This is my first Foundry mission, so feel free to pick it apart and show me where I can make improvements!

Mission Name: The Tangled Webs We Weave
Author: ashtaku
Minimum Level: None
Estimated Mission Length: 30-40 minutes, a bit longer if you explore all the optional dialogues.
Federation Mission - The Tangled Webs We Weave
Author: ashtaku

----------Report Start-----------

Summary: This is a good combat oriented story mission, with several tough, but fun battles, and well written story dialogue. The options to take the mission in different directions depending on story dialogue choices are well done. The map designs are very well done. I would definitely recommend this mission to other players, although not on Elite level. It is a fun mission to play.

The "Optional Dialogue" using the standard dialogue insertion in the Foundry has always annoyed me. This is not your fault but the developers should add the option to make the dialogue go away after the player interacts. At present the other ways to do that are to make the dialogue part of the story or use triggered dialogue but that does not show up on the map. That is not something you control but something we should all consider asking for the developers to create.

Below are some things I noted while playing the mission that I wanted to let you know about. Everything in this write up should be seen as suggestions on ways I felt you could improve certain elements of the mission. They are yours to do with as you see fit.

Mission Description: This is a good description. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this description.

Grant Mission Dialogue: The basic dialogue is well done but you should consider removing the duplicate [OOC] dialogue explaining the Episode type and other information already covered in the description. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue.

Mission Task: Consider adding the start location for the first custom map.

Mission Entry Prompt: This is a good use of the prompt. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this prompt.

MAPS:
Reytan System: This is a good map design with well written story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

U.S.S. Yamato Bridge: This is a good map design with well written story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

Starbase 24: This is a good map with several tough, but fun battles, and well written story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

A.C.S. Ranok Interior: This is a good map with several tough, but fun battles, and well written story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

A.C.S. Ranok CIC: This is a good map design with well written story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

A.C.S. Ranok Engineering Spaces: This is a good map with some tough, but fun battles, and well written story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue. I noted one item to consider changing:
-Consider adding a respawn point further into the map.

Transporter Room 2: This is a good map design with well written story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue. I noted one item to consider changing:
-The door sealing the room is too high and does not look right. Consider lowering it to be more in line with the floor.

---------End Report----------

Thanks again for authoring and for giving me the chance to review your work. You did a great job developing this mission. I look forward to playing/reviewing more of your work in the future.
Brian

This critique report also filed 04/13/2013 on forum posting for: In depth mission reports upon request.
If you would like a detailed review of your mission please visit my forum posting "In depth mission reports upon request" for details.
Commander
# 8
07-07-2013, 08:35 AM
THis was a cool play through, I really liked having the specific dialogue and interacting with the crew in a more interesting way. Though at the end, tallying up what you did you get the right response, there seemed a few too many options - a little distracting from the immersion for a small payoff. Maybe if it was concentrated on one or two lines of choice with a greater outcome, it might flow a bit better. Aside from that, awesome!

& Rose Tinted Mirror (Fed 31+)