Career Officer
In STO, when you die in ground combat or your ship is destroyed it doesn?t really have an impact on your overall experience during your mission. At most it simply delays your progress and you can simply use the injury items to instantly heal any severe damage. What about an alternative that is both more fun and engaging?

When my ship goes down I?m presented with a respawn timer while I stare at my screen. When your ship takes critical damage, instead of blowing up and having to wait for a respawn to carry on why not have your ship become ?Adrift? with hull aflame (as it looks now when your hull is really low). Instead of the respawn timer on the screen it could be replaced with a visual representation of your ship?s systems coming back online, hull repairing and lights coming back on (with the timer being moved to just below the center of the screen). The timer still tells you how long until you?re back up and running but you can see exactly how long it will take to be functional again.

Building upon this mechanic when your ship is crippled having the ability to activate Ramming Speed or focus on repairs could play a significant role in missions. If you choose to Ramming Speed your target you would be adrift for a longer amount of time with the trade off of doing a massive amount of burst damage. If you instead choose to focus on repairs you would remain adrift while your systems came back online (albeit at a faster rate than if you were to ram your target).

Anytime after your ship?s hull reaches 50% in Adrift status you can choose to either keep repairing or start flying. Once you choose to come out of Adrift status or your ship reaches 100% hull strength you become targetable by hostile NPC?s or players. Your ships power levels at this time would match your hull repair % amount. (if you start flying again at 50% hull, your power levels will only be at 50%) for the amount of time matching the current respawn timer in the game currently.

For class specific bonuses ounce out of Adrift status, Tactical officers would be able to bring their weapons online at a higher power level, Engineers would be able to have a higher engine power level and Science officers would be able to have a higher Shield/Aux power level. This temporarily lowers the effectiveness of abilities and weapons but still allows you to use them until your ship has completed its repair cycle.

When playing with teammates the option to have someone assist you with repairs is possible by having them move within transporter range (10km for the sake of gameplay) and transporting a repair team to your ship. Repair teams would be 15-20%% of the teammates undamaged crew. Once the team is onboard your Adrift timer is reduced based on how many crew were sent over (15%-20% of the existing crew sent, 15%-20% reduction to Adrift status). Teammates can send repair teams over once every 30 seconds at the cost of crew. This is another way to encourage players to keep a high crew count if playing a support role within missions.

For ground gameplay, I propose a similar change. Guild Wars 2 (and some FPS games) allow you to keep fighting in a limited capacity when you run out of HP and upon successfully killing an enemy you can get back up (with a temporary debuff effect placed on your character). Something like this in STO would allow ground based missions to be more engaging by allowing downed players the chance to contribute with a chance of respawning where they fell instead of having to go all the way back to a checkpoint. If you weren?t able to kill an enemy before your stamina ran out you would then be knocked unconscious until a teammate revived you.

Please post your thoughts on this and if any Devs are reading please let me know what you think. It would certainly be a positive change for gameplay and make ship destruction actually make sense instead of the magic respawns that occur in the game now.
Captain
# 2
03-21-2013, 02:39 PM
Sorry to oppose your very detailed and well thought out ideas, but in Star Trek, ships can and do blow up. Unfortunately, Cryptic realizes that the game is not real life and therefore you can respawn as many times as you like. I doubt there would be any changes made.

I love to read these ideas though, they are very creative and inspirational.

stardestroyer001, VA Explorers Fury | Email me for a Pro-Galaxy sig!
My Useful List of STO Forum Threads, Ship Builds & More! | My Forum Gripes
Foundry: A new series coming soon! | PvP: PvP Boot Camp, Notebook Project Almost Done!
Career Officer
# 3
03-21-2013, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardestroyer001 View Post
Sorry to oppose your very detailed and well thought out ideas, but in Star Trek, ships can and do blow up. Unfortunately, Cryptic realizes that the game is not real life and therefore you can respawn as many times as you like. I doubt there would be any changes made.

I love to read these ideas though, they are very creative and inspirational.
Thanks

I think is a feature that could use some work though and would add to the immersion of gameplay. The KDF players would be scary when presented with the choice between licking their wounds and ramming their foes...
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-21-2013, 03:30 PM
How's this for an idea: When your ship explodes, there should be some sort of mini-mission to repair your ship and get it back into working order. While there're details to be worked out for this idea, imo it'd certainly be more interesting and more in-depth than a respawn timer.
Career Officer
# 5
03-21-2013, 04:00 PM
Having your ship a drift in space would be cool. Maybe you initially go adrift and have a second life bar which if destroyed blows your ship up. Having to perform certain actions to get your ship back online which would minimize how many injuries you take would be a nice feature.

"We're doing it wrong, but it's working...."

Last edited by nierion; 03-21-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Republic Veteran
# 6
03-21-2013, 04:22 PM
I always thought ships should have options like ground to get revived by players.