Lt. Commander
# 1 8 day download?
01-12-2010, 03:00 AM
OK I'm using the Star Trek Downloader and it took 2 hours to download 1% of the Beta. So I guess it's going to take 200 hours or 8 days.

That seems like an awfully long time? I tried File Planet and I'm not going to pay to download what I already paid for. And if the other sites have a download link, I can't find it.

I tested my download speed and it's over 500KB but the Star Trek Downloader is only going at 35KB ATM.

I downloaded Utorrent but after an hour of messing around I have decided it's just to complicated. I don't want to disable my firewall, I have no idea how to open ports on my router and I don't want to anyway. I don't want to mess up ANY of my security for this game. And while it may be possible to do this thing securely I don't really want to take a lot of time learn it. It's not what I signed up for. I want to play the game, I don't want to spend a lot of time setting up Utorrent, my router, and my firewall. and I certainly don't want to compromise my security by doing any of these things wrong.

So what do I do?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-12-2010, 03:04 AM
stop whinging? i mean u have prob got a very secure system there but its no good if ur downloading from across the planet, going through 4 diffrent isp's till u get to cryptics, best advice stick with it or wait for a 3rd p[arty torrent to be released with some decent seeds
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-12-2010, 03:04 AM
I suggest you get a torrent. Where did you pre order the game form? D2D has their own (very fast) download server, for example.

Search the forums - there are various links floating about.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-12-2010, 03:05 AM
You can download off fileplanet for free, just read it all carefully ...there is a option to download at a slower speed for free.

In addition there will be more mirror sites coming online shortly for direct download.

Honestly, utorrent is your best option ...look at it as a chance to learn some new computer "stuff". You should be able to run utorrent without touching your firewalls in most cases. There is the startup wizard where it tries a port, did it say it was ok? If it does let run as is and see how fast it goes.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-12-2010, 03:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstargh View Post
stop whinging? i mean u have prob got a very secure system there but its no good if ur downloading from across the planet, going through 4 diffrent isp's till u get to cryptics, best advice stick with it or wait for a 3rd p[arty torrent to be released with some decent seeds
Whats whinging?
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-12-2010, 03:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VainEldritch View Post
I suggest you get a torrent. Where did you pre order the game form? D2D has their own (very fast) download server, for example.

Search the forums - there are various links floating about.

I pre ordered from Atari which uses Digital River which is not listed. So my options are File Planet or Torrrent I guess.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-12-2010, 03:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWookie View Post
You can download off fileplanet for free, just read it all carefully ...there is a option to download at a slower speed for free.

In addition there will be more mirror sites coming online shortly for direct download.

Honestly, utorrent is your best option ...look at it as a chance to learn some new computer "stuff". You should be able to run utorrent without touching your firewalls in most cases. There is the startup wizard where it tries a port, did it say it was ok? If it does let run as is and see how fast it goes.
I ran the wizard which said there was a problem with the ports. I messed with Utorrent some more but it's not working at all. And like I said, I'm UNCOMFORTABLE opening up my firewall and ports, and in the case of the router I don't even know how.

I'm up to 2% now 196 hours to go.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-12-2010, 03:38 AM
Understandable if you don't wanna mess with stuff. There is going to be some nice new shiny mirror sites coming up today hopefully that will allow some ppls to get direct downloads at better speeds with the newest OBT client. However at this very moment its FP or on other outdated CBT client off another site for direct downloads.

Just need to bide your time I guess
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-12-2010, 04:03 AM
Use uTorrent

Copy the .torrent link from here: http://startrekonline.com/download

(in Firefox right click the link and choose Copy Link Location)

In uTorrent click on File > Add torrent by URL

Paste the torrent in and press ok, choose where to save the files and make sure the torrent starts.

Right click the torrent in uTorrent and choose Bandwidth Allocation. Set the Upload Limit to half of your total upload. My ISP gives me an upload of 448 which is about 40Kbps so I set my upload limit to between 10-15kbps.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-12-2010, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurrakan View Post
Use uTorrent

Copy the .torrent link from here: http://startrekonline.com/download

(in Firefox right click the link and choose Copy Link Location)

In uTorrent click on File > Add torrent by URL

Paste the torrent in and press ok, choose where to save the files and make sure the torrent starts.

Right click the torrent in uTorrent and choose Bandwidth Allocation. Set the Upload Limit to half of your total upload. My ISP gives me an upload of 448 which is about 40Kbps so I set my upload limit to between 10-15kbps.
uTorrent is not working for me. Possibly it's my firewall, my router, or my ISP. I'm NOT opening any ports and exposing myself to all of the nasty stuff on the internet. I know enough about port scanning to know that it's better to stay invisible.

I gave up on the downloader and started using File Planet, Right now it's saying 47 hours to go. Which is much better but still BLOWS!