Lt. Commander
# 101
01-13-2010, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docjeckle View Post
Your voice of reason is refreshing. I too have had problems as have been reflected ad nauseum here and elsewhere in the forums. This is to be expected to some degree. As a former WoW enthusiast I know that these things do take time. I am going to wait a few days before re-attempting my dl. I have been eagerly awaiting STO for years a few more days will be worth it. I hope that this Beta is successful, it is my hope that the STO fan base will be mature enough to endure without ranting and threatening more than is really helpful.
I know some problems do take time to fix, but also keep in mind that not only was WoW made by a different company, but that it's OB was around a decade ago, more than enough time to greatly improve the quality of OBs and HSs. I heard the same logic during the OB of ****, as well as the 1st week of the game and that game still ran better than STO. Don't get me wrong, I like the game so far, but it just seems to me that the networking issues should be amongst the first to be resolved. I understand the need to tweak and improve the game and for players to remain patient, but not everyone will and that can potentially hurt the STO player base.
Lt. Commander
# 102
01-13-2010, 03:56 PM
Wow.

There are some really cool people in this thread dont get me wrong. But I am utterly confused by some peoples attitude, when people tell you it's in beta they aren't saying it for effect. It MEANS something. Somebody(i presume from cryptic) made a really good post on these forums regarding what to expect from a beta. They were quite blunt but gave even the most niave people a clear messege : if your expecting to play the game..if you think the whole beta idea was so that you could get on and play before everyone else in this perfect universe..you'd be sadly mistaken. It's understandbale that some people dont know what a beta version really means. But the guy who made the post made it perfectly clear, the game will be bugged, often even broken. As enthusiast's of the game and of star trek we agreed to participate in a beta..(ok im sure we wanted a sneek peek of the game of course) so that wee could try out all possible scenarios trying to unbalance the game , the server anything. But the point is to BREAK the game try out everything and see what doesn't work. And when it doesn't work rather than have a tantrum the WHOLE POINT being to report what we find. And why would we want to particpate with that?? because they need people to use the game in a realistic way as close as they can before it's release date. if we want fun then the FUN part atm is in finding the problems and help give accurate reports on them, so that when released the game will play as it was intended to or maybe better.

I have had more than my share of bugs and hopefully when the game is released we can takle some pride together in knowing that we helped get the game ready for our friends an other people(who we may even end up in a guild with no?) to play out of the box..because they didn't fancy the idea of beta testing. Thats what we asked for...but now it seems many are complaining. It's a real shame because while we are putting in those bug reports we also have a chance to get aquanted with some people and hopefully make some friends along the way to maybe join up with when the game is at %100 I am not an overly annoying posative guy(honeslty ) but at the same time I cant help but think that right there infront of us all is an opportunity and a few people are wasting it or even ruining it for themselves simply because they thought they were going to be playing the full retails verion berfore it was even released??? I am having an awesome time..i saw a problem with the ati cards..my brother was affected badly..amazing it was only a couple of hours later..my bro tellls me he recieved a patch and bam a big problem solved in no time. I am totally blown away with how god cryptic are...i had no odea before today.

I am sorry for the long winded post...It's just so sad to see some of us wastin an opportunity lie this and also bringing a dark cloud to other peoples experience with the beta too.

If you want to play the game with all the bells and whistles....wait until launch day..dont log on until then...or at least until the headstart. My dream has come true a star trek mmo! thats just ****ing awesome! being a part of this is great. But regardlessi dont consider myself to be "gaming" until we reach officail launch. I swear there are some peeps that may boycott this game down to lack of understanding...cuting your nose to spite youre face.

Well done to all the people reporting bugs and keeping their cool. I promise not to make a long post like this again...just try and enjoy the experice and the chance to get things "ship" shape.

Live long and bug test my friends
Lt. Commander
I just read this thread because I am having trouble downloading the client off of fileplanet. At first it was working ( meaning the throughput was wildly fluctuating, and I was getting about 1 mb/15sec...do the math). The next thing I know I've been kicked back to the cue with 40 min. till I can start downloading (this after waiting 40 min. the first time). I feel so much better knowing so many people are suffering the same fate But I really feel it neccessary to point out to some of the posters who are shouting the "This is beta...stop whining" mantra from the rooftops that downloading the client has nothing to do with playtesting the game. Having just endured the Champions Online Beta (and IT WAS A PRIVILEGE!) I decided not to participate in STO's, but I thought I'd just download the client ahead of time to avoid the rush (if there is one) before the head start. There is no reason for the providers of access to the client to be so ill equipped to handle the load (of course the same thing happened with Champions...but two wrongs...), and it is ultimately Atari's responsibility to choose reputable and effective business partners.

So, yes, if your complaining because your playing the program in Beta and its not perfect yet then yes..."It's the Beta dummy! "(although my experience is that far to many problems aren't being resolved before going from closed to open beta which should be a stress test and tweaking period). And don't forget "IT'S A PRIVILEGE!" (How old are some of these people?) BUT...none of that has anything to do with a breakdown in the client delivery system!

There...I feel much better.

p.s. just checked the downloader and now I have 41 minutes BEFORE I CAN START (resume) download. DOH!
Lt. Commander
# 104
01-13-2010, 04:34 PM
I started DL the client last night at FP. I tried torrent and the star trek downloader offered by cryptic, but they were giving me .05 KBPS. Torrent actually said the eta for dl was 1 week and 2 hours at first...! LOL

FP, gave me speeds of 500 KBPS on average at first. Downloaded half before I accidentally logged off and had to restart the whole thing. OH well, so I restart the whole thing... I get 200 KBPS on average. By morning, it had downloaded half again. By the time I got home from work. I still have a full GB left. The speeds alternate between 0 kbps, 50 kbps, and 104 kbps.

I'm saying all this NOT to complain, but rather demonstrate that the DL WILL take time and patience. Even after I finish DLing it, the game WILL have bugs and WILL crash repeatedly. When I heard that the servers crashed several times yeserterday... I was actually impressed! That means a FREAKING amount of people have tried to get into open beta.

I actually considered waiting unttil the actual launch day to play because Beta is well.. a TEST. I played in Halo 3 BETA... closed and Open.... that was awesome, but even better was finding bugs. That meant I was helping the guys creating the game. I figured I would do the same here. PLEASE stay away from beta if you don't want to help TEST the game.

PS I'm playing Mass Effect while I wait... closest thing there is to star trek that I can play at the moment
Lt. Commander
# 105
01-13-2010, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord67
Might I ask where you feel that Cryptic was "pushing" you to purchase the CE of STO? I paid for the CE at my local EB/Gamestop store. I have no issues with spending that money and never expected to be allowed into the OB with or without a pre-order or CE. This is my first OB and this noob has had no complaints about the OB or anything else. The only complaint I have had thus far has been posted and I am patiently awaiting the answer in another forum. I never paid for a Beta Key and even called my local EB/Gamestop and when it came in I told them I already had received a key from online. No issues and no problems. I downloaded the client via Bit Torrent and again no issues so severe that I wish to cancel my pre-ordered CE. It seems to me that you were expecting something on a more grand scale and are upset that it has not happened as yet. One thing I do know is that NOBODY pushed you to get in your vehicle and go to your local EB/Gamestop and then open your wallet and purchase the CE for $80. That sir was YOUR choice made by you and not forced upon you by Cryptic nor anyone else. So in closing this noob to OB is happy with EB/Gamestop as well as Cryptic and I am looking forward to venturing into my first OB and seeing STO up close and personal or as much as I can during the OB.
To quote Captain Kirk, you may ask..........................

As I have already received a very nice email response from Cryptic which apologizes for the situation with Game Stop and pretty much agrees with my position on the matter, I'm going to skip your offer to have what looks to me like an argument. Apparently they are having a lot of problems related to Game Stop customers feeling the same way about the matter as I do.

In any case they were nice enough to pass along a BETA key to me and to offer me a discount on my purchase for my trouble. I've already installed the game and played for about an hour. So as much fun as it might be to argue with you or anyone else about this now resolved matter, I'll pass and see ya round the STO Universe.
Lt. Commander
# 106
01-13-2010, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QE2
Wow.

There are some really cool people in this thread dont get me wrong. But I am utterly confused by some peoples attitude, when people tell you it's in beta they aren't saying it for effect. It MEANS something. Somebody(i presume from cryptic) made a really good post on these forums regarding what to expect from a beta. They were quite blunt but gave even the most niave people a clear messege : if your expecting to play the game..if you think the whole beta idea was so that you could get on and play before everyone else in this perfect universe..you'd be sadly mistaken. It's understandbale that some people dont know what a beta version really means. But the guy who made the post made it perfectly clear, the game will be bugged, often even broken. As enthusiast's of the game and of star trek we agreed to participate in a beta..(ok im sure we wanted a sneek peek of the game of course) so that wee could try out all possible scenarios trying to unbalance the game , the server anything. But the point is to BREAK the game try out everything and see what doesn't work. And when it doesn't work rather than have a tantrum the WHOLE POINT being to report what we find. And why would we want to particpate with that?? because they need people to use the game in a realistic way as close as they can before it's release date. if we want fun then the FUN part atm is in finding the problems and help give accurate reports on them, so that when released the game will play as it was intended to or maybe better.

I have had more than my share of bugs and hopefully when the game is released we can takle some pride together in knowing that we helped get the game ready for our friends an other people(who we may even end up in a guild with no?) to play out of the box..because they didn't fancy the idea of beta testing. Thats what we asked for...but now it seems many are complaining. It's a real shame because while we are putting in those bug reports we also have a chance to get aquanted with some people and hopefully make some friends along the way to maybe join up with when the game is at %100 I am not an overly annoying posative guy(honeslty ) but at the same time I cant help but think that right there infront of us all is an opportunity and a few people are wasting it or even ruining it for themselves simply because they thought they were going to be playing the full retails verion berfore it was even released??? I am having an awesome time..i saw a problem with the ati cards..my brother was affected badly..amazing it was only a couple of hours later..my bro tellls me he recieved a patch and bam a big problem solved in no time. I am totally blown away with how god cryptic are...i had no odea before today.

I am sorry for the long winded post...It's just so sad to see some of us wastin an opportunity lie this and also bringing a dark cloud to other peoples experience with the beta too.

If you want to play the game with all the bells and whistles....wait until launch day..dont log on until then...or at least until the headstart. My dream has come true a star trek mmo! thats just ****ing awesome! being a part of this is great. But regardlessi dont consider myself to be "gaming" until we reach officail launch. I swear there are some peeps that may boycott this game down to lack of understanding...cuting your nose to spite youre face.

Well done to all the people reporting bugs and keeping their cool. I promise not to make a long post like this again...just try and enjoy the experice and the chance to get things "ship" shape.

Live long and bug test my friends
You are probably right about most things. I've only beta tested **** and Champions Online before, so I don't have that great of an experience with beta testing. However, I really wish that instead of just posting the what to expect notice on the forums, they also put it clearly on the beta test page. Now, I never expected to have a perfectly performing product or even retail quality product for OB, but simply a functional product, one that can actually be played so you can even report bugs.

I definitely like your attitude in response to how people should be looking at OB, but I personally am not even able to find the fun in reporting bugs, since I never tend to think of networking or massive lag issues as a bug perse. I remember all the frustrations of OB and release for **** and could not understand why some people went nuts over stuff when it came out, but also understood that such things can result in loss of customers because not everyon is as patient as some. Another thing that I think can affect people who have done beta testing before is the differences in how some companies go through the testing process, **** for example ran much smoother on it's limited OB whereas both times I've OBTd Cryptic games lagfests seem to ensue, I really don't know, these are just my experiences. I do appreciate the opportunity to try the OB for STO, but I wish I had known more about what to expect first. It's looking amazing atm and I hope it only gets better, but I'm not sure if I will try the OB much more.
Lt. Commander
# 107
01-13-2010, 06:09 PM
hey well at least you are honest and i respect your opinion based on your past experience, hope to see you ingame down the line

I just thought i would make this one last post:

I see some people are really frustrated with some of the download speeds/options available. Tbh I can sympathise with an issue like that, even though it was always going to happen it's frustrating when you are quoted 2 days and such.

Before the downloads even began I was hoping for a torrent link, simply because torrents are viral and thus I knew as long as enough people used the torrent then I would go for that option before all others. IMHO this ios where bittorrent comes into it's own. I had my copy downloaded and ready to go in about 6-8 hours. not bad for a 7 gig file during it's first download. I am of course seeding now like many others. I can only say again (IMHO) that if you want a consistent and faster(overall) download then make use of the bittorent technology, unless you have privaledged access to a fast server I think it really may help some of you who are having issues. torrents often seem slowat first but they speed up, honestly you do get rewarded for your patience/upload time. I think i have said more than enough!

Have fun hope the people waiting on thier downloads get sorted soon.
Lt. Commander
# 108
01-13-2010, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnston212 View Post
You are probably right about most things. I've only beta tested **** and Champions Online before, so I don't have that great of an experience with beta testing. However, I really wish that instead of just posting the what to expect notice on the forums, they also put it clearly on the beta test page. Now, I never expected to have a perfectly performing product or even retail quality product for OB, but simply a functional product, one that can actually be played so you can even report bugs.

I definitely like your attitude in response to how people should be looking at OB, but I personally am not even able to find the fun in reporting bugs, since I never tend to think of networking or massive lag issues as a bug perse. I remember all the frustrations of OB and release for **** and could not understand why some people went nuts over stuff when it came out, but also understood that such things can result in loss of customers because not everyon is as patient as some. Another thing that I think can affect people who have done beta testing before is the differences in how some companies go through the testing process, **** for example ran much smoother on it's limited OB whereas both times I've OBTd Cryptic games lagfests seem to ensue, I really don't know, these are just my experiences. I do appreciate the opportunity to try the OB for STO, but I wish I had known more about what to expect first. It's looking amazing atm and I hope it only gets better, but I'm not sure if I will try the OB much more.
Well, said. Now, if you don't mind me asking: Has anyone else been stuck at the "Trying to update the Launcher. Please Be Patient. Tried to connect X times." Please, let me know.
Lt. Commander
# 109
01-13-2010, 06:34 PM
69% of sto downloaded not even started on patches yay me sto downloader speed right now? 2.51kb while i was at work i left the comp on downloading i gained 2% from 67 to 69 at that rate it will be done in 5 days really wish i could help you all find some bugs and no this would not be my first beta test but it may be my first beta test with out ever testing at all
Lt. Commander
# 110
01-13-2010, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella View Post
Personally I bought the collectors addition of the game for the extra toys in game it promised. I did buy mine at Game Stop (who forgot to tell me the beta card was in but that was a lesson learned in where to shop) and found the fact Game Stop didn't have a down loader a bit lame but oh well, and while it is the slowest thing I've ever down loaded, It will be done at some point and the fun will start. Look forward to seeing everyone in game.
Same reason here for getting collector ed

Yes, it's VERY slow, no matter where you get it, or with what you get it with.

However, it's worth it.

Haven't had this much fun with an MMO. Almost as much fun as SFB.

Thanks Cryptic and Good Luck

Good Luck to you, Ella. May you be on soon