Lt. Commander
# 41
01-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Downloaded from Fileplanet in 2hrs. That's really not bad at all for an 8gb file.

It's really frustrating to read all these people complaining about crashes and connection problems
in the same thread where it specifically states that there are connection issues.

It's not a -bug- it's an intentional overloading of the servers to see what kind of stress they can handle.

Take comfort in the fact that you are helping to make the retail launch better by sitting there hammering
that Login button and get over it.

People are whining about the problems like this is the LAUNCH. When in fact you're Beta testing during the stress test. The entire -point- of it is to overload the servers and have people not able to connect.

I seriously felt like I lost a few braincells just reading all this rubbish.
Lt. Commander
# 42
01-12-2010, 06:46 PM
Anyone here downloaded from FilePlanet and got theirs to work?
Lt. Commander
# 43
01-12-2010, 06:49 PM
I've tested the closed beta only for about 35 to 40 hours, but since the start of the open beta I saw some funny bug, which did not occur in closed beta. In the tutorial my bridge officer went to my Inventory, not to the bridge. In the Bhea Mission my ship suddenly went to warp speed, then the game said there is nowhere to go and I was still in Bhea, with an invisible Ship (without cloaking device). The only advantage was that I could destroy everything without resistance. The Ship on Ground or Character in Space Bugs could possibly occur because of a lack of server power, but strange enough to mention it. However, I enjoy this game a lot, and I hope Cryptic is able to fix most of the errors until headstart. Good luck and So Long.
Lt. Commander
# 44
01-12-2010, 07:06 PM
What irks me about this is that Cryptic pushed/funneled customers to Game Stop, I paid my $80.00 for the "Collectors" edition but when the Beta rolls out the funneled to Game Stop customers have to use the advertised by Cryotic as "slower" than other methods STO Downloader? So let me get this right. Cryptic pushes customers to Game Stop for pre-order and when the BETA rolls out what online stores are featured for pre-order customers to download fastest from by Cryptic? Steam, Direct2drive and Impulse???? If this was going to be the fastest and most efficient way to download the BETA version, why were NONE of the stores featured by Cryptic as such?Oh I can pay an extra $40.00 to download it "fast" at fileplanet, on top of my already committed $80.00! I call that a really obvious screw up, to be honest one which really angers me. That is just shoddy work Cryptic. And oh yeah, been downloading via the "slower" STO downloader for over 24 hours and am at 74% now.

I'm thinking seriously about canceling my Game Stop order and waiting for the far cheaper "regular" version to hit shelves in February. I understand that it is a BETA version and I understand there are LOTS of people bum rushing the servers right now, but the decision by Cryptic to push the $80.00 "Collectors Edition" at Games Stop here at the official website and then give short shift to the same customers? While giving the three companies above (not featured here at Cryptic prior to the BETA roll out) the "fastest" download options at the same site? Very bad business practice, in fact very misleading and insulting enough that I may cancel my $80.00 order and go with the cheaper regular version. I hope other angered buyers that followed Cryptic's lead to Game Stop consider the same option. I know many in Canada are already doing just that and I think it serves Cryptic right.

Color me ****ed, there really is no excuse for this IMO.
Lt. Commander
# 45
01-12-2010, 07:09 PM
Hopefully Gamestop sends me my Pre-Order code finally and I can get in this awesome Line-up for the download!!! Also hopefully most of you have downloaded by then so I have lots to seed from!!! Thanks for the notice about opting out of DirectX to save time(few pages back). Good luck to all and we will see you out their.
Lt. Commander
# 46
01-12-2010, 07:18 PM
For all of you having issues with downloading the client:

Some nice fellow decided to upload the beta client to usenet. do a usenet bin seatch for "star trek online beta" and you should see about 70 100mb rar files for download. use any popular usenet client and connect to your isp's news group server. the files were posted to a binary newsgroup called: alt.binaries.boneless

depending on your isp's speed, you should be done downloading and playing in under 2 hours.

also, remember to always do a virus scan on EVERYTHING you download from the internet. when i downloaded it, it was clean, but that may have changed.

cheers and good luck
Lt. Commander
# 47
01-12-2010, 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman1701 View Post
What irks me about this is that Cryptic pushed/funneled customers to Game Stop, I paid my $80.00 for the "Collectors" edition but when the Beta rolls out the funneled to Game Stop customers have to use the advertised by Cryotic as "slower" than other methods STO Downloader? So let me get this right. Cryptic pushes customers to Game Stop for pre-order and when the BETA rolls out what online stores are featured for pre-order customers to download fastest from by Cryptic? Steam, Direct2drive and Impulse???? If this was going to be the fastest and most efficient way to download the BETA version, why were NONE of the stores featured by Cryptic as such?Oh I can pay an extra $40.00 to download it "fast" at fileplanet, on top of my already committed $80.00! I call that a really obvious screw up, to be honest one which really angers me. That is just shoddy work Cryptic. And oh yeah, been downloading via the "slower" STO downloader for over 24 hours and am at 74% now.

I'm thinking seriously about canceling my Game Stop order and waiting for the far cheaper "regular" version to hit shelves in February. I understand that it is a BETA version and I understand there are LOTS of people bum rushing the servers right now, but the decision by Cryptic to push the $80.00 "Collectors Edition" at Games Stop here at the official website and then give short shift to the same customers? While giving the three companies above (not featured here at Cryptic prior to the BETA roll out) the "fastest" download options at the same site? Very bad business practice, in fact very misleading and insulting enough that I may cancel my $80.00 order and go with the cheaper regular version. I hope other angered buyers that followed Cryptic's lead to Game Stop consider the same option. I know many in Canada are already doing just that and I think it serves Cryptic right.

Color me ****ed, there really is no excuse for this IMO.
Pfft. You paid $80 for a full featured game to play on February 2nd. BETA downloads are going to be hectic -- no promises were made other than that you'd be able to play. Which you will. No formal agreement was made regarding beta or Cryptic's obligations to you. I understand your strife, but... I had zero issues -- when the servers were actually up. It took roughly 45 minutes to download the 2 gig patch today (I had to download the 8 gig client using their downloader, a 4 gig patch and several other 2-3 gig patches during closed beta). If you're having issues, close the program and open it again. All downloaded content will remain and continue on. I had to do this a few times when the servers were experiencing hiccups. I'm not really sure what you expect to happen by venting your ignorance on the forums. Oh.. I guess here's your answer....

....you can download the beta client from numberous locations. For free.

Such as Bigdownload:
http://www.bigdownload.com/games/sta...n-beta-client/

Or Rapidshare:
http://www.rapidshare.net/tag/star-t...en-beta-client

Or Atomicgamers:
http://www.atomicgamer.com/files/830...en-beta-client

...see where I'm going with this?
Lt. Commander
# 48 Download
01-12-2010, 07:56 PM
I ordered the CE as well and found the torrent download and used that. It took maybe 1.25 hours to get the full 8gb download.

If i had not been able to download it through torrent i would have simply got it elsewhere. worse case scenario, i would wait for my Feb shipment and used the dvds.

No worries here.
Lt. Commander
# 49
01-12-2010, 08:07 PM
So is this the Star Trek forums?
Lt. Commander
# 50
01-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Quote:
Use the bright green bug button in the game.

Dumps tons of information and screenshot to our internal ticketing system.

-Zn
Well, I feel like an idiot since I didn't realize that about the geen bug lol...

Anyway, I upgraded my bridge officers and the points were showed as spent, but the upgrades didn't take. So points spent, but no upgrades lol. As long as it's not going to be a problem when STO goes live