Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 51
01-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman1701 View Post
What irks me about this is that Cryptic pushed/funneled customers to Game Stop, I paid my $80.00 for the "Collectors" edition but when the Beta rolls out the funneled to Game Stop customers have to use the advertised by Cryotic as "slower" than other methods STO Downloader? So let me get this right. Cryptic pushes customers to Game Stop for pre-order and when the BETA rolls out what online stores are featured for pre-order customers to download fastest from by Cryptic? Steam, Direct2drive and Impulse???? If this was going to be the fastest and most efficient way to download the BETA version, why were NONE of the stores featured by Cryptic as such?Oh I can pay an extra $40.00 to download it "fast" at fileplanet, on top of my already committed $80.00! I call that a really obvious screw up, to be honest one which really angers me. That is just shoddy work Cryptic. And oh yeah, been downloading via the "slower" STO downloader for over 24 hours and am at 74% now.

I'm thinking seriously about canceling my Game Stop order and waiting for the far cheaper "regular" version to hit shelves in February. I understand that it is a BETA version and I understand there are LOTS of people bum rushing the servers right now, but the decision by Cryptic to push the $80.00 "Collectors Edition" at Games Stop here at the official website and then give short shift to the same customers? While giving the three companies above (not featured here at Cryptic prior to the BETA roll out) the "fastest" download options at the same site? Very bad business practice, in fact very misleading and insulting enough that I may cancel my $80.00 order and go with the cheaper regular version. I hope other angered buyers that followed Cryptic's lead to Game Stop consider the same option. I know many in Canada are already doing just that and I think it serves Cryptic right.

Color me ****ed, there really is no excuse for this IMO.
Both you and I are to blame for going to Lamestop, I just thought AHEAD of time and got the latest client from Bittorrent 2 days ago. Cryptic isn't responsible for Lamestop's business practices. Sure I was miffed that I had to wait for my open beta key to arrive today at my local store, but I THOUGHT AHEAD OF TIME and downloaded and installed it BEFORE OPEN BETA STARTED.

BTW: Steam, Direct2drive and Impulse were listed by Cryptic before Open Beta.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 52
01-12-2010, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman1701 View Post
What irks me about this is that Cryptic pushed/funneled customers to Game Stop, I paid my $80.00 for the "Collectors" edition but when the Beta rolls out the funneled to Game Stop customers have to use the advertised by Cryotic as "slower" than other methods STO Downloader? So let me get this right. Cryptic pushes customers to Game Stop for pre-order and when the BETA rolls out what online stores are featured for pre-order customers to download fastest from by Cryptic? Steam, Direct2drive and Impulse???? If this was going to be the fastest and most efficient way to download the BETA version, why were NONE of the stores featured by Cryptic as such?Oh I can pay an extra $40.00 to download it "fast" at fileplanet, on top of my already committed $80.00! I call that a really obvious screw up, to be honest one which really angers me. That is just shoddy work Cryptic. And oh yeah, been downloading via the "slower" STO downloader for over 24 hours and am at 74% now.

I'm thinking seriously about canceling my Game Stop order and waiting for the far cheaper "regular" version to hit shelves in February. I understand that it is a BETA version and I understand there are LOTS of people bum rushing the servers right now, but the decision by Cryptic to push the $80.00 "Collectors Edition" at Games Stop here at the official website and then give short shift to the same customers? While giving the three companies above (not featured here at Cryptic prior to the BETA roll out) the "fastest" download options at the same site? Very bad business practice, in fact very misleading and insulting enough that I may cancel my $80.00 order and go with the cheaper regular version. I hope other angered buyers that followed Cryptic's lead to Game Stop consider the same option. I know many in Canada are already doing just that and I think it serves Cryptic right.

Color me ****ed, there really is no excuse for this IMO.
You do realize that these sites are download only, that run their own download software? They don't work like other sites, they don't give you a link to download the files or anything. If you want to use their proprietary software then you have to pay them for the game, not Gamestop.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 53
01-12-2010, 08:20 PM
At least you are all able to gain access to the game. I preordered from Amazon.com and I got my OB code yesterday, applied it to my account and downloaded the client from FP. It's now fully installed and says it can't authenticate. I go to my account page and it says there is nothing applied to my account. What's up with that?????
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 54
01-12-2010, 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcowthomas
So is this the Star Trek forums?
lol, sometimes...most times it's a daycare for entitled toddlers...
Why God! WHY!!! Why won't my beta client download instantly and why does it keep kicking me out?!!! Whaah the map is full...I didn't read the word between open and client and if I did I don't know what it means...


I'm gonna get flamed for this

Oh well. It was fun to say
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 55
01-12-2010, 08:29 PM
well i ordered from gamestop also, i was in CB, now im in OB, and it was after i get into OB that i get my open beta key from gamestop.

question i got is, do i go ahead and use it to have my pre order things ready or wait till the open beta ends?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 56
01-12-2010, 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordred13th
Both you and I are to blame for going to Lamestop, I just thought AHEAD of time and got the latest client from Bittorrent 2 days ago. Cryptic isn't responsible for Lamestop's business practices. Sure I was miffed that I had to wait for my open beta key to arrive today at my local store, but I THOUGHT AHEAD OF TIME and downloaded and installed it BEFORE OPEN BETA STARTED.

BTW: Steam, Direct2drive and Impulse were listed by Cryptic before Open Beta.
I like that answer, you thought ahead. Guess I'm a moron and did not realize I could not download before the download was made available to me via STO. Of course I had no BETA key with which to do so, until I got the email that lead me to the website and to the prior mentioned "slower than normal" STO downloader. By gar if only I had THOUGHT AHEAD. Yeah, that is the ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar_Ko
You do realize that these sites are download only, that run their own download software? They don't work like other sites, they don't give you a link to download the files or anything. If you want to use their proprietary software then you have to pay them for the game, not Gamestop.
Indeed? Did not know that. Being a private business owner for some decades now, I know that if I am going to funnel my customer to the most EXPENSIVE version of the service I am offering, the last thing I would exercise is due diligence and not make sure my customers, the ones I really really hope will POP for the expensive version of my product, are assured similar service from point A to Z. But I guess I could blame it on one of my vendors or subcontractors!Hmmm I guess that is why I am still in business.

Massive ball DROP by Cryptic IMO. But feel free to argue otherwise, this could all be my fault as I did not THINK AHEAD! chuckle.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 57
01-12-2010, 09:13 PM
All aboard the QQ train... still waiting for the client to finish patching from server up yesterday
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 58
01-12-2010, 09:34 PM
Well I ordered the CE from gamestop, downloaded from fileplanet(after paying $7) and got it downloaded at 7 pm after starting it 11pm the night before. The character creation screen works perfectly but nothing beyond that. Gives me the loading map screen but then freezes once it loads. Wish I knew what the problem was, as far as I know My laptop meets the recommended requirements.

Any help from the experts would be nice...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 59
01-12-2010, 10:08 PM
Well you know what? Rather than just spout off I decided that I really am angered enough by this to cancel my "collectors edition" of the game and cancel both my purchase via Game Stop and my BETA download. I'll wait until late February to purchase the "regular" street release of the game. You want a premium price? Provide the same service. I'll be sharing my dissatisfaction along with receipts to show I mean it, with Cryptic as well. HUGE FAIL IMO for prior stated reasons.


Of course I am hopeful this isn't emblematic of what is to come with STO. Still looking forward to playing the game, and hope it is all it can be. But if you want me to purchase your so called "premium or collectors" product and then pay a service fee to keep playing for years, you don't offer the same from a vendor when other vendors with a CHEAPER version of your product offer a faster delivery time for less money. Meaning I was willing to spend extra money, not for uniforms and for "special" in game ships and features, but for early access to the game, a MAJOR selling point pushed by Cryptic. Utter failure in that regard. So I'll save some money and skip the glitches of a BETA as people who paid much less than I did got better support and delivery of the promised product than I did for their money.


LLAP
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 60
01-13-2010, 12:53 AM
I really am getting the impression you've never had any experience of mmos or beta *testing* before, Dman.

"So I'll save some money and skip the glitches of a BETA as people who paid much less than I did got better support and delivery of the promised product than I did for their money."

What support exactly? I think a lot of people who didn't get the game from a digital supplier which use their own bespoke service (Steam, D2D) have to use alternatives like Fileplanet to get the client. No different if you are paying 25 or 80 (I did the former). I forget, the collectors edition ISN'T EVEN AVAILABLE in the UK, so really, pretty please don't whine.

Early access is a perk, beta access is a testing phase where you may or may not be able to play. To imply you plumped for the collectors edition mainly on the basis of playing earlier seems a bit naive. You realise your beta character will be WIPED before launch yes?

Sorry if a come over a bit testy, but you should have thought about what beta meant before laying down the bucks
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:12 PM.