Lt. Commander
# 31
01-25-2010, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly9007 View Post
Considering that I have no problems in other games, and that getting a new video card isn't really an option for me, can you think of any other possible explanation to look in to? Or a way to test the card that would determine if it is faulty beyond running a game and seeing if it crashes?

Regardless, thank you very much for your input.
I'm obviously not a dev, so I couldn't give you things to test on the client. But if your system is crashing to the point that requires a hard restart/power cycle, then it's hardware related. And with the blackscreen (no video signal at all) and sound still playing (or stuttering), then that points to a defective video card. Unfortunately, no way around it. If you want to test before buying a new card or sending yours back for warranty replacement, try swapping in a friend's video card or any spare, old video card you have laying around that works in your PC.

I've seen this problem before and worked through everything I could. It came down to defective hardware. If you're interested in reading similar troubleshooting and discussion about this issue that happened in another MMO, I'd recommend this 15 page thread where I posted quite a bit: http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=279786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shixno
Could the problem be related to the ati2dvag error? It was the only problem I had when I could play the game for several hours.
That's a completely different problem than LBellouny and the OP are having.
Lt. Commander
# 32
01-25-2010, 04:09 PM
cipher_nemo, sorry for getting short with you in my last post, but this is just frustrating, and you've been doing your best to make suggestions about the issue, and it is appreciated.

It seems that there are WAY too many people with this happening across too many platforms for this to be bad video cards. There seems to be SOMETHING related to the game causing this issue. Just because you need to shut off your PC does not make soething hardware related.

I put in a ticket with Cryptic. Maybe this will help, and maybe if we can get everyone to put in tickets about this, they can get to work on fixing the cause.
Lt. Commander
# 33
01-25-2010, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBellouny View Post
cipher_nemo, sorry for getting short with you in my last post, but this is just frustrating, and you've been doing your best to make suggestions about the issue, and it is appreciated.

It seems that there are WAY too many people with this happening across too many platforms for this to be bad video cards. There seems to be SOMETHING related to the game causing this issue. Just because you need to shut off your PC does not make soething hardware related.

I put in a ticket with Cryptic. Maybe this will help, and maybe if we can get everyone to put in tickets about this, they can get to work on fixing the cause.
I agree that we should fill out tickets. I have been experimenting a bit more and while I havn't ruled out a graphics card problem, I'm not conviced that it is the issue either. It could be we have some obscure detail in common that is conflicting with another obscure detail on Cryptic's side.
Lt. Commander
# 34 Possibly Solved
01-26-2010, 05:15 AM
Well, I think I might have resolved the issue on my end. It does not seem to be a defective video card, but seems to be some inter-relation with the game, Steam and UAC. After setting the Star Trek Online - Beta heading to Run as Administrator under the Properties -> Compatibility menu, the issue has not occurred.

After I did that, Steam popped up a message saying that Steam should not be set to Run as Administrator click 'cancel' to keep these settings and not get this warning again. But, I was able to play the game successfully for over an hour without it happening, which is a first since this began on Sunday.

I think one of the updates over the weekend threw a wrench into the gears somewhere, and granting the administrator SEEMS to have resolved the issue.

I'm going to try to get on tonight before the open beta closes to test it again, but I don't know how likely that will be.
Lt. Commander
# 35
01-26-2010, 03:42 PM
Definitely seems to have resolved the issue for me. Too bad I couldn't have figured this out on Sunday. It probably would've been better to have leveled some more before the End of Beta event. As it stands, I'm being used as a mop by the Borg.
Lt. Commander
# 36
01-26-2010, 07:00 PM
I'm having the same issue. Though, mine started today only. It happens at different times during the game. Sometimes while loading, sometimes when loaded, at most 15-20 minutes into the game thus far.

I've updated everything on my system (have been doing so since I started using the beta) and I doubt that any hardware is bad. I've not been able to reproduce the problem with any other software, so I'm pretty confident this is a issue related to the STO software somehow or another.

As my computer setup might not be the most insane out there, I've not had any problems playing the game for the last 2 weeks until today.

http://pastebin.com/m3579080d

Intel Pent 4 3.0GHZ
3 GiG RAM
Nvidia GeForce 6800 XT/GS
Windows XP SP3

Again, not the most tricked out comp for these days...but the system has performed just fine playing games up to this issue and again this issue began today after I patched and tried to play. I rebuilt PC assuming it was a short or something due to hearing the odd audio sound upon the crash and it locking...thus far it hasn't done any good.
Lt. Commander
# 37
01-26-2010, 09:32 PM
Im seeing a lot of "win 7 64 bit 4 gig ram" with people having trouble... enough ram in those boxes with win 7 sucking down so much?
Lt. Commander
# 38
01-27-2010, 02:33 AM
Quote:
AHHHHHH!

I've seen this many, many, many times before with other games. In fact, I went through that nightmare almost a year ago with my video cards and the LOTRO MMO. It was with my GTX 285. Blackscreened (no video signal), but sound still active, had to do a hard reset to get it back. I went through a lot of troubleshooting until I RMAed that 285. Second one, same problem. Complained to EVGA, RMAed it again, and sure enough 3rd one was fine! I then did the EVGA Step-Up program to swap it for a GTX 295 for about $100. Others over on the LOTRO were having this problem too. A kinship member of mine (guild member) had the same problem with a GTX 280 or so and sure enough, a replacement fixed it.

Bottom line: defective video card. Sorry, that's the symptoms of it. It can happen within minutes or gaming or within hours of gaming. Mine was much more sporadic with sometimes 15 minutes, then sometimes hours. Is that video card still under warranty? If so, swap it. If not, you'll need to buy another.

And it will be random in different games.
Hmm this might have been the solution for you but that doesnt mean its the reason other people have simular issues. In fact if every other game is working fine I would make the assume it is something to do with STO. Unfortunetly the freezes/stuttering got so back and frequent that i had to stop playing, which is a shame as i was really enjoying the game! thought it was great. Seemed like STO was causing memory leaks in certain areas which, upon cold reboot cycle would cause windows to begin to hang. This was quite bad so I decided to sort out this issue.

Started by fixing the handing bootup by running windows fix and a roll back.
I have read this could be caused with an issue between Nvidia and vista, so I went to Control Panel>Device Manager>Nvidia nForce Serial ATA controller>port 0 (and all ports) Disable Command queuing. (stops a conflict in programing which could cause issues but check if this is a good option for you).
I then ran checks of the Graphics card ( NVIDIA Geforce 8800GT) and on the cpu, the graphcis card was running at 61c and the cru at 34c.
Ran 2x7 cycles of Prime95 torture test and the temps rose to 67c and cpu at 43c so there is definetly no over heating going on.
Done a windows check of the ram which turned out ok.

My conclusion is that something in the game triggered an issue in the pc, i think it was something to do with Nvidia but i am uncertain. I did used to have this same isssue with *** when they were suffereing for memory leak issues but I have not had that issue with *** for about 6-8 months (although i did have the issue immediately after having to do a cold reboot from running STO and having this freezing problem, that is why I think it causes conflicits rather than being a bug in the sense that it is something isolated to the STO enviroment).

Although i did a lot of changes i did not retry STO because i got my pc to a normal working state in which i could run windows, and other games i normally play, without the freezing happening, which did seem to come from the total system lock-ups i experienced in STO.

I will leave the game along and come back to try it in a few months to see if some of this issues have been addressed. Now I am thinking baout it i do remember that what was causing the problems in *** was the shader model x3 (dx9) and this freezing/stuttering went away when either using shader model x2 or DX10. I did have a play around with the options settings in STO but didnt really find anything like a shader model to change and try so maybe that is an option if more become available at game release.

Athlon 64 x2 5000+ Black Edition (not oveclocked)
M2N Deluxe Motherboard
8800GT Graphics
4 Gig Ram
Vista 64 Bit
Lt. Commander
# 39
01-27-2010, 03:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly9007 View Post
Considering that I have no problems in other games, and that getting a new video card isn't really an option for me, can you think of any other possible explanation to look in to? Or a way to test the card that would determine if it is faulty beyond running a game and seeing if it crashes?

Regardless, thank you very much for your input.
run a heavy benchmark on repeat such as 3dmark , if your card keels over with that it is indeed defective.
especially if occurs during a specific test.

if it runs like a dream it looks like theres another cause
Lt. Commander
# 40
01-27-2010, 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vala2009 View Post
Hmm this might have been the solution for you but that doesnt mean its the reason other people have simular issues. In fact if every other game is working fine I would make the assume it is something to do with STO. Unfortunetly the freezes/stuttering got so back and frequent that i had to stop playing, which is a shame as i was really enjoying the game! thought it was great.
I diagnosed someone else's PC problems, not yours. If you're having stuttering graphical issues, that's a different problem. Or do you mean your PC locks up, no video, and stuttering sound? If it's hard PC lock, then sorry, that's the card, and the 8800 GT is in the range of cards known to do this when they are defective.

When you talk about stuttering, if you mean graphical stuttering in-game, then that's a different problem. Upgrade your NVIDIA drivers to the latest 196.21. These fixed some stuttering problems with STO compared to 195 and earlier versions and were released just within the past week or two.

Nothing in STO should cause hard PC locks. Windows XP, Vista, and 7 all run programs in their own memory/environment, so when a program crashes, it crashes to the desktop. If it's a problem with the driver, it can bluescreen windows or just crash DX applications. If it's a problem with the hardware, it can crash everything and hard lock the PC, requiring a hard reset or power cycle.

You mentioned freezing/stuttering, but you were not specific on what is freezing or stuttering, your PC and audio or your game client?