Lt. Commander
# 41
01-27-2010, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
I diagnosed someone else's PC problems, not yours. If you're having stuttering graphical issues, that's a different problem. Or do you mean your PC locks up, no video, and stuttering sound? If it's hard PC lock, then sorry, that's the card, and the 8800 GT is in the range of cards known to do this when they are defective.

When you talk about stuttering, if you mean graphical stuttering in-game, then that's a different problem. Upgrade your NVIDIA drivers to the latest 196.21. These fixed some stuttering problems with STO compared to 195 and earlier versions and were released just within the past week or two.

Nothing in STO should cause hard PC locks. Windows XP, Vista, and 7 all run programs in their own memory/environment, so when a program crashes, it crashes to the desktop. If it's a problem with the driver, it can bluescreen windows or just crash DX applications. If it's a problem with the hardware, it can crash everything and hard lock the PC, requiring a hard reset or power cycle.

You mentioned freezing/stuttering, but you were not specific on what is freezing or stuttering, your PC and audio or your game client?

Maybe you didnt read the first post of this tread, made by Cpt. Holland, or the first post in this thread that i made which indicated simular touble but it is in no way a hardware problem as i have said i have run quite a number of tests and if I can run mulitple applications of Prime95 I think this is an indication there is nothing wrong with the graphics card. I could also add I run crysis on full spec and its fine, *** or any of the other games im playing atm. The reason why im posting to this thread is because the description Cpt. Holland gave is identical to what I get but I wont really check back in here if all i get is a finger pointing to my end, or that i need to update drivers, which is something that i think everyone does regularly and even if they do not they wont get the crashes i have experienced because in the latest Nvidia driver there is no update which would be effected anyway.
Instead of devs taking this seriously its very easy to just say its something to do with someones pc, because they dont get the problem themelves but i dont think this is the correct attitude to solving the situation. and as I said in my post, I will check in with the game 6 months down the line to see if they have sorted out the memory leaks.
Lt. Commander
# 42
01-27-2010, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vala2009 View Post
Maybe you didnt read the first post of this tread, made by Cpt. Holland, or the first post in this thread that i made (...)
I've been posting in this thread actively before you ever even opened it. :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by vala2009 View Post
(...) but I wont really check back in here if all i get is a finger pointing to my end
You're in denial then.

Seriously, thousands and thousands of other open beta players are not experiencing the issues you are. Sure, some might be experiencing the same "freezing/stuttering" you are, but then there are exponentially more who are not.

Having a defective video card or something wrong on your PC is nothing to be ashamed of, so no need to defend your system as infallible. It sounds like all you want to do is point the finger at STO and complain.

If you really want to troubleshoot this issue, I'd suggest a complete OS wipe (after you copy off files, etc. to another location) that includes deleting the partition, creating a new one, formatting it, and installing Windows from scratch. Then of course chipset, video, network, and sound drivers, Windows updates, and a clean install of STO and test before you install anything else. Yes, I know that's a pain and takes a big chunk of time, and not something even I'd want to do so close to the head-start release. But, it will eliminate all other software factors. If it's still having the same problems at that point, it's your hardware that has the problem. Potentially hundreds and hundreds of other STO testers have the exact same video card as you and don't have the same issues you do.

Of course there are bugs in STO open beta (and most likely plenty of bugs even at release), but none of them can cause your system to freeze/lock-up because applications and anything DirectX-based doesn't have explicit control to handle hardware directly. And Windows runs all programs in their own environment to prevent one program crashing the entire OS (like it did back in Windows 95/98/Me). And hard crashes or freezes of the entire PC is driver and/or hardware related. And memory leaks do not cause system freezing/crashing, just application freezing/crashing. End of story.

But if you don't want to troubleshoot, and you don't want help, then all you're here to do is complain and argue for something that doesn't exist.
Lt. Commander
# 43
01-27-2010, 05:10 PM
I stressed my card as best I could on games I have, and everything ran like a dream. So I downloaded a stress test and ran it. The test recomends that if my card can run it for 10-30 mins everything should be fine. My card ran it for 25 mins before have the exact error I had on STO. One of my friends who is pretty big into building computers and such suggests that my computer might be functioning fine, but shuting down under the stress becuase its a laptop and sometimes thats what laptops do. So, I'm taking my machine into a pretty good computer store in town that has good tech support as well as access to other graphics cards, programs, tools, and whatever else they may need to figure out the problem for sure. I really need to know for sure its the card before I sink hundreds of dollars into a new one, and I also don't want to get on Cryptic's case until I'm positive its not any of my hardware. I'll be sure to post whatever I find out here, on the off chance it helps anyone.
Lt. Commander
# 44
01-27-2010, 11:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly9007 View Post
I stressed my card as best I could on games I have, and everything ran like a dream. So I downloaded a stress test and ran it. The test recomends that if my card can run it for 10-30 mins everything should be fine. My card ran it for 25 mins before have the exact error I had on STO. One of my friends who is pretty big into building computers and such suggests that my computer might be functioning fine, but shuting down under the stress becuase its a laptop and sometimes thats what laptops do. So, I'm taking my machine into a pretty good computer store in town that has good tech support as well as access to other graphics cards, programs, tools, and whatever else they may need to figure out the problem for sure. I really need to know for sure its the card before I sink hundreds of dollars into a new one, and I also don't want to get on Cryptic's case until I'm positive its not any of my hardware. I'll be sure to post whatever I find out here, on the off chance it helps anyone.
It looks like you're utilizing a good troubleshooting process. That was wise to run a stress test on your video card. I wish others here shared that wisdom to test their PC, find out what;s wrong, get it fixed, and move on to enjoy STO.

I hope you can isolate the exact problem, be it the card, cooling, or whatever before release. Best of luck and let us know how it goes or if you need any help.
Lt. Commander
# 45
02-01-2010, 12:01 PM
The problem appears to have been on Cyptic's end. The game runs smoothly after the most recent patch. Thanks for the fix, Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 46
02-01-2010, 12:13 PM
I heard backing off the texture shader it seems to lessen the problem.
Lt. Commander
# 47 contant reboots
02-02-2010, 08:39 AM
i have the gtx 285. i played friday the first day ofhead start for 5 hrs just fine. played sunday and could not play more than 5 mins in a mission then i would get a dinamic reboot. it did it all day. took my pc to compiter shop monday the 31rst and found there was no probs with any thing on my pc. i run vista 32bit gtx 285 card quad intel 2.3 cpus 4 gigs of ram have all updated drivers nad the problem keeps happening. Cant plsy more than 5mins without reboot. I can play world of ******** all day and have no probs. Help pls. computer store guy said something about memory leaks on sto side.
Lt. Commander
# 48
05-04-2010, 07:51 PM
So I am one of those people that has been having problems with STO crashing to a blackscreen. The only thing I have done is update the video drivers. Its an ATI Radeon HD 3600. I dont kow what to try....i have heard things like boot into safe mode, disable the second moniter. I hate to think that the video card is going bad. Not sure where to begin...i can do a dxdiag. any help would be much appreciated.
Lt. Commander
# 49
05-04-2010, 10:04 PM
I used to have this exact same problem, it ended up being the 12v rails on my PSU weren't putting to the correct voltage out and that is what caused it. STO despite the fact it does not always look the most visually verbose has a very complex physics engine and puts video cards to the test.
Lt. Commander
# 50
05-05-2010, 03:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyElRoyo
So I am one of those people that has been having problems with STO crashing to a blackscreen. The only thing I have done is update the video drivers. Its an ATI Radeon HD 3600. I dont kow what to try....i have heard things like boot into safe mode, disable the second moniter. I hate to think that the video card is going bad. Not sure where to begin...i can do a dxdiag. any help would be much appreciated.
You necroed a 3 month old thread. :p

But otherwise, do some stress testing on your PC. Run Prime95 and Furmark.