Lt. Commander
I previously had a old installation of the game from closed beta, but after pre-ordering the game from STEAM this morning I decided to redownloaded everything fresh so that I would have the latest launcher and would know that my STEAM purchase was ready to go.

I uninstalled the old installation whilst downloading via STEAM, only to find that when I attempted to launch the STEAM version it would display the launcher and let me login, then it would display I was using the latest version, but when doing a filecheck it would turn up nothing and begin to download the full client (10GB) again fresh using the directory of D:/Cryptic Studios/STO. Which is where the previous now uninstalled Closed beta installation was located and bares no relation to where the STEAM download is located other then it is the same harddrive.

So does anyone know how to solve this problem? As it's a major pain in the backside.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-12-2010, 12:47 PM
Look at the registry key HKCU\Software\Cryptic\Star Trek Online : InstallLocation. Fix that to match the install folder insdie steamapps.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-12-2010, 12:56 PM
Ah ha! Found it, thanks Coderanger.

I had looked in the registry initially to see if that was the cause, but I looked under Local Machine rather then Current user, and instead only found a Cryptic and STO entry under some media section.

Awesome stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-12-2010, 01:09 PM
Hmm now when I try to launch the game through STEAM I get:

"This game is currently unavailable. Please try again later".

But at least it's one step further to working!!!