Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Captain
For one, it doesn't do what Saucer Separation is supposed to do. From Memory Alpha:

Quote:
On the Galaxy-class, saucer separation was primarily designed as a way for the civilian and nonessential crew complement to escape in the saucer section, while the senior staff and essential personnel engage a threat or enter a potentially dangerous situation in the stardrive section.
Giving us a combat pet kind of misses the point don't it? So, knowing how useless it currently is, and what it's supposed to do, and the various ways it was used in the show, I propose that the Saucer Separation console instead give the following three abilities:

Stardrive Battle Mode: Out of Combat ability, 300 second cooldown.

This basically works the same way it currently does, except it is now an out of combat ability, gives extra power and turn rate, and no power penalty. The Saucer, instead of becoming a combat pet, high tails the crap out of there.

Emergency Saucer Preservation Mode: In combat ability, 800 second cooldown, requires player to be at 20% hull or less.

This would work as a more useful Abandon Ship. Instead of killing you though, you take control the Saucer (which would be at 50% health), and abandon the Stardrive section where it undergoes a warpcore breach. It also resets your Brace for Impact and Evasive Maneuvers cooldowns for obvious reasons.

Section Recovery. Out of combat ability, 60 second cooldown.

Simply recovers the section that was lost in either of the above cases.

EDIT: (Credit to psiameese for the idea) If you have the Antimatter Console Equipped, you gain:

Saucer Diversion Mode. In and Out of combat ability, 300 second cooldown.

This works the same way it currently does, but the Saucer gains threat generation, can use Antimatter Spread at a reduced rate, and can gains either Jam Sensors or Scramble Sensors.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

Last edited by centersolace; 03-04-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Captain
# 2
03-03-2013, 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
For one, it doesn't do what Saucer Separation is supposed to do. From Memory Alpha:

Giving us a combat pet kind of misses the point don't it? So, knowing how useless it currently is, and what it's supposed to do, and the various ways it was used in the show, I propose that the Saucer Separation console instead give the following three abilities:

Stardrive Battle Mode: Out of Combat ability, 300 second cooldown.

This basically works the same way it currently does, except it is now an out of combat ability, gives extra power and turn rate, and no power penalty. The Saucer, instead of becoming a combat pet, high tails the crap out of there.

Emergency Saucer Preservation Mode: In combat ability, 800 second cooldown, requires player to be at 20% hull or less.

This would work as a more useful Abandon Ship. Instead of killing you though, you take control the Saucer (which would be at 50% health), and abandon the Stardrive section where it undergoes a warpcore breach. It also resets your Brace for Impact and Evasive Maneuvers cooldowns for obvious reasons.

Section Recovery. Out of combat ability, 60 second cooldown.

Simply recovers the section that was lost in either of the above cases.
I'd fund this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.
Career Officer
# 3
03-03-2013, 10:00 PM
How do you quantify the saucer as distraction tactic with this premise? As seen in Best of Both Worlds, Part 2.
STO Forum:
Where the Human Adventure is Just Beginning!

Where you can also catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
Give the Art Team time to fix the K't'inga << Link
Exploring STO Since Pavement.
Lieutenant
# 4
03-03-2013, 10:13 PM
While this works more in keeping with canon, how does this work with Chevron separation, as the Odyssey has this ability as well? And given by 2409 I do not think Starfleet ships have large compliments of civilians aboard anymore. I would love to see the Saucer/Chevron sep changed, though I think my idea really clashes with yours.

I kind of hate that the most effective form of my Odyssey is just flying around in the Stardrive, so I would prefer to see Chevron Sep as a big dps cooldown, not something I can sit in all the time. Sort of like built in APA, but making me squishier when its on. Granted I also want to see the Aquarius function as a hangar pet so I might be a loony.
Captain
# 5
03-03-2013, 11:10 PM
Saucer Sep is fine as it is. Dont need a nerf. And that a nerf you are proposing.
It's new? NERF IT TILL IT BLEEDS

PWE proudly presents STO:Season 9.x: The Big Nerf.
Dil-sinks, EC-Value-Nerf and player satisfaction Nerf (a.k.a. Crafting Revamp), join the most epic grind ever avaiable in STO...
Captain
# 6
03-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psiameese View Post
How do you quantify the saucer as distraction tactic with this premise? As seen in Best of Both Worlds, Part 2.
That's easy, make it a set (which seems all the rage these days) with the Antimatter Console, and that gives you a fourth ability that turns the Saucer into a combat pet that gets a threat boost and can use the Antimatter Screen at a reduced cooldown than it currently does.

I like that. I think I shall add it to the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodwhity View Post
Saucer Sep is fine as it is. Dont need a nerf. And that a nerf you are proposing.
How the heck is being able to turn your ship into a landmine without killing yourself a nerf?
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

Last edited by centersolace; 03-04-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Captain
# 7
03-04-2013, 04:45 PM
I was always confused about how you instantly take command of the Stardrive section whenever you engage saucer separation.

The Bridge is on the saucer. Do you just transport between the Bridge and the Battle Bridge back and forth every time you engage/disengage the ability?
Captain
# 8
03-04-2013, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
How the heck is being able to turn your ship into a landmine without killing yourself a nerf?
Yeah, Warp core breach is a real damage maker. And in PvE where enemies have hundreds of thousands to millions of xp, its more worth to do this than to switch beetwen defensive and offensive mode.

"More useful Abandon ship" would mean a 20times enhancement to make it even worth considering.

Either way, I doubt that in wartimes (vs. Klingons, vs. Borg) there are civilians on board of a starship. And after 40 years, I think the design went from "big civilian escapepod" to "assistance in emergencies", so more like the Multi-vector mode than the evacuation saucer sep.
It's new? NERF IT TILL IT BLEEDS

PWE proudly presents STO:Season 9.x: The Big Nerf.
Dil-sinks, EC-Value-Nerf and player satisfaction Nerf (a.k.a. Crafting Revamp), join the most epic grind ever avaiable in STO...

Last edited by woodwhity; 03-04-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 9
03-04-2013, 06:14 PM
I realy like these ideas, although I don't have major issues with how the current SaucerSep works. I'd like to see the cooldowns on these types of special abilities reduced a lot though. I'd also like to be able to select which part to fly - Stardrive or Saucer
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net
Career Officer
# 10
03-04-2013, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thratch1 View Post
I was always confused about how you instantly take command of the Stardrive section whenever you engage saucer separation.

The Bridge is on the saucer. Do you just transport between the Bridge and the Battle Bridge back and forth every time you engage/disengage the ability?
Most of your firepower would be in the Stardrive section, therefore, that's where you'd want to be.

As for the OP's statement...

Quote:
On the Galaxy-class, saucer separation was primarily designed as a way for the civilian and nonessential crew complement to escape in the saucer section, while the senior staff and essential personnel engage a threat or enter a potentially dangerous situation in the stardrive section.
Taken from "Yesterday's Enterprise", we're at war. Civilians wouldn't housed be on the ship.
Plaque by Voporak
I love nice long walks in the country.
Especially if they're taken by people who annoy me!