Career Officer
# 1 Cats & Dogs (and Werewolves)
02-22-2013, 02:51 AM
With the Romulan Faction practically confirmed, I'd like to see that faction with more than just the Romulan and Reman playable species. Sure we'd likely get an Alien option, along with the option of Liberated Borg, but neither of those are what I'd call actual species. That and the Suliban (who I'm holding out hope for).

The Federation have the Caitian, the Klingons have the Ferasan. I think it would be a safe bet to think the Romulans would need some pet love too, though I don't feel the need for a third cat race. Thus, I got thinking about Dogs (but a normal, two-legged poodle just didn't cut it).

Then I thought about Werewolves; specifically the sort from the Underworld Films (those than stand on their two hind legs). The Werewolves from Twilight simply wouldn't work cause they're always running around on all fours. Suffice to say, would anyone else join me in wishing for a Werewolve Species as the Caitian/Ferasan counterpart? They could also serve as a counterpart to the Gorn (being generally well-built and strong).

Obviously we'd not call these guys Werewolves (a species name would be up to Cryptic) ~ maybe just go with Lycan?

References:
- http://werewolf-news.com/wp-content/...ves-poster.jpg
- http://scifimafia.com/wp-content/upl...s-longscar.jpg
- http://www.clickthecity.com/img2/art...344-image4.jpg
- http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/i/20...ibalwolfie.jpg
- http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_SIUL8EbikT...vanhelsing.jpg

What say you?

Last edited by flash525; 02-22-2013 at 02:54 AM.
Commander
# 2
02-22-2013, 02:57 AM
Anticans, maybe?

A proud member of Sinfully Sexy. Join us.
Captain
# 3
02-22-2013, 03:00 AM
Werewolves have never been in canon Trek unless you count the Anticans, and they were more like enormous bald rodents. The last thing this game needs is more pandering to furry fandom. Adding "werewolves" is essentially inviting furries to take over and yiff all day in ESD.
Career Officer
# 4
02-22-2013, 03:04 AM
How about some Duck-people?

http://cf.drafthouse.com/_uploads/ga...-original.jpeg

No thanks.
I think Star Wars has enough anthropomorphised animals: Togorians (cat-people) Calibops (bird-people) Bothans (goat-people) we don't need the same bogus in Star Trek or STO.
Career Officer
# 5
02-22-2013, 03:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperthumper View Post
Anticans, maybe?
Maybe, but they feel a little... cheap (cause makeup back in the day was lacking). Besides, weren't they have supposed to have joined the Federation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emacsheadroom View Post
Werewolves have never been in canon Trek unless you count the Anticans, and they were more like enormous bald rodents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
I think Star Wars has enough anthropomorphised animals: Togorians (cat-people) Calibops (bird-people) Bothans (goat-people) we don't need the same bogus in Star Trek or STO.
The Ferasans have never been in canon Trek either, nor has an actual Icionian. We've never seen Starfleet and Klingon captains flying around in Ferengi Marauders or Cardassian Cruisers either (in canon). In order for this game to survive, it needs to adapt. It's not like I'm asking for space elves and fairies, just a canine species for the Romulans to play with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emacsheadroom View Post
Adding "werewolves" is essentially inviting furries to take over and yiff all day in ESD.
They would be exclusive to the Romulan Faction thus there wouldn't be a single furry wolf on Earth Space Dock.

Last edited by flash525; 02-22-2013 at 03:10 AM.
Captain
# 6
02-22-2013, 03:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
How about some Duck-people?
Infinitely more agreeable than wolfaboos clogging up my screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash525 View Post
The Ferasans have never been in canon Trek either
Reskin of Caitians is not too much of a stretch.

Quote:
, nor has an actual Icionian.
But we've seen their planet and technology. It's just up to Cryptic to give them a face.

Quote:
We've never seen Starfleet and Klingon captains flying around in Ferengi Marauders or Cardassian Cruisers either (in canon).
But those ships do exist in Trek canon. That's the point, not who's commanding them.

Quote:
In order for this game to survive, it needs to adapt. It's not like I'm asking for space elves and fairies, just a canine species for the Romulans to play with.
The game doesn't need to take on your awful idea to survive. Anthropomorphic wolves are not necessary. They have never been a part of Trek. Although I wouldn't mind if the Romulans did get an Antican subspecies that was ugly and bald with white eyebrows and beards that eerily resemble a certain dog breed, just to upset the wolfaboos who want furry anthro wolf characters. Because you and I both know this is exactly the kind of awful crap you want to foul up the game with.

Quote:
They would be exclusive to the Romulan Faction thus there wouldn't be a single furry wolf on Earth Space Dock.
And thus you'd have the Romulan faction ruined by wolfaboos. Not a good plan.

Last edited by emacsheadroom; 02-22-2013 at 03:16 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-22-2013, 03:18 AM
I feel like I've seen this movie before.

If memory serves, just getting Caitans in the game was a challenge. They had to be redesigned to fit Trek's modern style and STO own look, they needed new tech and animation, etc. That's not going to happen again on a whim, especially a non-canonical whim. Even if Cryptic wanted to do it CBS would drop the veto hammer anyway.

But since Anticans were mentioned, may as well toss them in somewhere. Their lizard friends, too. Give one race to the KDF (probably the Anticans) and the other to the Feds (the lizard dudes, just 'cause the KDF already have the Gorn.)

Keep in mind that any more races with fur and tails will just become targets for Starfleet Dental. Now, I personally find that hilarious, but I'm probably in the minority. Probably.
---
Relax.
Career Officer
# 8
02-22-2013, 03:19 AM
Quote:
Maybe, but they feel a little... cheap (cause makeup back in the day was lacking). Besides, weren't they have supposed to have joined the Federation?
They were applying.
I don't get every job I apply for automatically either.
And they were not supposed to eat the other delegate on their way to the conference.

Quote:
The Ferasans have never been in canon Trek either, nor has an actual Icionian. We've never seen Starfleet and Klingon captains flying around in Ferengi Marauders or Cardassian Cruisers either (in canon). In order for this game to survive, it needs to adapt. It's not like I'm asking for space elves and fairies, just a canine species for the Romulans to play with.
And I'm pretty sure you know by now that the reason the Ferasans were added was because of the Kzinti debacle.

Yes this game needs to adapt, but is this they only direction open to it, to us?
The Gorn were not anthropomorphised animals, they were humanoids that evoloved from something other than mokeys.
It's not really possible to point to animal X and say "yet, that was adapted".
With that you propose there'd be more species along the lines of "I can see which animal was used".
It would also be, as you yourself put it, a bit of a rehash of something done a thousand times over in another genre.
Isn't that what Trek is NOT about, rehashing old ideas?
Commander
# 9
02-22-2013, 03:22 AM
No, no more furry races.

*robotic drone voice* Give us insects. GIVE.

Fanfiction! ZOMG! Read it now!
kate-wintersbite.deviantart.com/art/0x01-Treachery-293641403
Captain
# 10
02-22-2013, 03:27 AM
Yes to Xindi insectiods. They were awesome.