Captain
# 1 Running STO from a USB drive?
10-27-2014, 06:51 AM
I'm going out of town for a week, and I'd like to be able to run STO on a temporary PC at a hotel I'll be staying at.

(Windows7) : Is it sufficient for me to just copy the "/Program Files(x86)/Perfect World Entertainment" folder and all its subfolders to a USB drive and run the launcher from the USB drive (or even run ARC)?
Career Officer
# 2 Should work
10-27-2014, 06:58 AM
I've run STO off an external USB hard drive without having to install it, so I would think it should work.
Saving the universe ... one game at a time.
Career Officer
# 3
10-27-2014, 07:41 AM
I also have run mine off an external USB but you will need a fairly good transfer rate to do it, My Ext HD on USB 2 does occasionally stutter so if you can do USB3 you should have no issue.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Neriz --- Eleven --- S'alesh --- Nizalay and maybe the odd Fed char too.
Defecting from the Federation to the Romulans from May 21st
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-27-2014, 07:55 AM
Can confirm, you can play STO off a USB.
You can also transfer your install this way too.

To reduce caching on your USB drive, set the launcher to disable "On Demand Patching" in Options, this way it will download the whole game to your computer, about 13 GB
Then copy the whole game to the USB.
Run the "Star Trek Online.exe" to launch.
When you use a new PC and Cryptic sends you a verification code to your email, make sure when you log in to not check the "remember this computer option"... just in case.

All your settings and UI will stay the same as long as the resolutions are the same.

Also remember to delete the registry key so your user info isn't saved.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cryptic\*

------
Although I can't say this will work after ARC is required, which will kill this game for me, because running from a USB3 is the only way I play... unless I start to lug my laptop around...

Last edited by gizmox64; 10-27-2014 at 08:01 AM.
Captain
# 5
10-27-2014, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the replies, and for the suggestion about disabling user info and not "remembering" me on the new computer.

I may not be allowed to edit the registry on the "new" computer, but it may have one of those "reimage" abilities when I'm done with it anyway.

If the transfer is fast I might transfer back off USB to hard drive to play. Or, I might just do some doffing and skip the STFs if the stutter gets in my way. I understand about USB2-3 stutter and can live with it.

Thanks for the tips and reassurance, so all critical user info inside the game is stored server-side, good good...