Go Back   Star Trek Online > Test Servers > Tribble - Announcements and Release Notes
Login

Empire Veteran
# 11
03-05-2013, 01:18 PM
On paper, the numbers don't seem too bad. Most people use an alt-fire every 15 seconds on average, I think, so the alt fire draining a lot of fuel makes sense. The charge-up seems kind of high, but that probably depends on what the regeneration rates are like between waves.

If you're doing something like KAGE or CGE, is the weapon's fuel getting too drained to clear a pack when firing constantly and using your alt maybe two times. That's the realistic question you have to answer.
Empire Veteran
# 12
03-05-2013, 03:02 PM
Well, ran down to Defera. Getting a minimum of 4 shots on a Borg before they adapt. Using the alt fire on a pack of five, I would get 2-3, but I noticed that the Plasma DoT that can proc from the flamethrower can cause adaptation so I couldn't get a solid test.

I think that might be an issue that needs to be looked at. There were a few times that I remodulated using Integral Frequency Remodulator, and immediately due to the Plasma DoT the Borg readapted to my Plasma damage from the DoT ticking away.

As it stands, with the rate of fire from the flamethrower, I don't think it would be viable to use on Borg at all. I'd remodulate, get 4 shots off, and have 4-6 seconds left on a single or pair of targets still. So note that it would take at least two rounds of remodulation to kill a single borg with the Plasma flamethrower.

In contrast, with my Adapted Maco Pulsewave, I'd approach the same pair of Borg I tested the flamethrower with. Three shots killed one, four shots killed the next, and after that final shot my weapon was adapted to.
Empire Veteran
# 13
03-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Did some testing on Nukara, and sad to say I'm still not really impressed.

To kill a single Tholian Ensign, between 8 and 11 seconds of DPS time was required to kill target. This was with the target moving, and me pursuing, trying to stay relatively on top of the target. No alt fire was used.

In contrast, with the Mk XII Cryo Launcher, 3-4 seconds of DPS time was required to kill a single target. No alt fire was used.

In groups of mobs, at least 2-3 present, in waves based on spawns, the flamethrower's targeting made it more likely that you'd hit nothing at all when firing rather than hit something. The weapon treats RPG mode targeting like shooter mode. You can fire without a target, and not having one risks that you hit nothing. Though with the flamethrower, having a target doesn't mean you do damage, especially to a moving target. The cone of damage is narrow enough that a quickly skittering Tholian can completely avoid damage if you are not moving, and still be unreliable when you are. In my tests of running around through Nukara EXT Medium areas, I was far more likely to die (and did a few times) or expend a lot of time cycling my Medic kit abilities than I was with another weapon, ANY other Mk XII weapon I had at my disposal.
Career Officer
# 14
03-06-2013, 10:31 AM
Yes, lets all work on a flamethrower when there are more pressing issues in the game... seriously?
InGame - @Darth_Tauri
Joined - 9/2011
"You Best Make Peace With Your Dear & Fluffy Lord" - Malcolm Reynolds
Career Officer
# 15
03-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevaldt View Post
Yes, lets all work on a flamethrower when there are more pressing issues in the game... seriously?
Priorities after all! Useless stuff before serious bugs. That way, they can say they've done the bare minimum for a patch of stealth nerfs. I am looking forward to being able to abtain one of these though. It's the only reason I have to bother with the boring Rommie Rep grind. If they don't fix it, I'll never bother with it.
Captain
# 16
03-06-2013, 08:02 PM
Quote:
The lack of flamethrowers *IS* a pressing issue in the game. FLAMETHROWERS. For is it not written, "Never settle with words what you can accomplish with a flamethrower."? Therefore, the lack of flamethrowers is clearly a critically important issue that must be addressed post-haste. Without flamethrowers, how do we kill the remaining issues WITH FIRE?
Rihannsu
# 17
03-06-2013, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doffingcomrade View Post
Without flamethrowers, how do we kill the remaining issues WITH FIRE?
try using a plasma grenade or exothermic induction field
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwecaptainsmirk View Post
*reassuringly strokes your hair*
Hush now, you will be back kicking Neelix and killing those nasty Vaadwaur soon enough... hush child.
*pat pat on your head*
epic smirk is epic
Captain
# 18
03-06-2013, 11:19 PM
Quote:
I would normally agree with you... but the flamethrower is a high tier unlock for the Romulan reputation system... and Im fairly certain people had unlocked it before they took it down... Im glad they fixed it.... as I want it too.
Survivor of Romulus
# 19
03-07-2013, 02:26 AM
i hope its added today to holodeck cus still no patch notes got a few toons rdy to buy a flamethrower
Captain
# 20
03-07-2013, 02:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog0000doom View Post
i hope its added today to holodeck cus still no patch notes got a few toons rdy to buy a flamethrower
The maintenance topic for todays maintenance says no patch today (March 7th). This is a great thing as it allow for proper testing to be done on tribble.