Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,679
# 21
03-07-2013, 01:43 AM
I've just tested, and the flamethrower is really bad now. I compared with the honor guard pulsewave, MKXII, and it's, by far, superior to the flamethrower. Not only the damage is superior by a large margin, it also have CC, no ammos, and the borg adapt less frequently because it's a low ROF weapon.
Which is lame, because both of them are tier 5 award, and close combat AOE weapon.

I took a mission in cradassian space, the one with MU infiltrating DS9. I was able to 2shot an unshielded opponent with the pulsewave, while it took much longer of a continuous stream from the flamethrower for the same result.

Another problem, as it is now, I felt I was using a minigun. The attack are quite similar, in the feeling IMO.

Finally, I haven't checked, and I'm lazy to restart STO now, but the flamethrower comes with [DMG]X3, while the pulsewave can have [ctrD], [acc] and [ctrH] (if a random loot), arguably better mods.


edit : forgot to mention : the flamethrower tank doesn't refill when we switch to the secondary weapon. Which mean, if we run out of fuel, switch to the other gun to keep fighting, and switch back to the flamethrower, we will still be out of juice.
It could be REALLY annoying with fast "zerg" group in group content, or alone, since you will either have to use you other gun once you run out of ammo, for the rest of the STF/mission, or have to wait to refill the tank while others fight.

Last edited by erei1; 03-07-2013 at 01:50 AM.
Commander
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 374
# 22
03-07-2013, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevaldt View Post
Yes, lets all work on a flamethrower when there are more pressing issues in the game... seriously?
My sentiments exactly.

Last edited by omegashinzon; 03-09-2013 at 05:38 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,679
# 23
03-07-2013, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegashinzon View Post
My sentiments EXACTLY.
Personally
Key words. In YOUR opinion they should work on something else. In MY opinion, I like them to work on the flamethrower. Who's right ?
That's not because YOU think it's not important, and there are more pressing matter, that you are right, and everyone agree. I for one disagree.
Captain
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,996
# 24
03-07-2013, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevaldt View Post
Yes, lets all work on a flamethrower when there are more pressing issues in the game... seriously?
Actually fixing the problems with the flame-thrower benefits the whole game.
The large number of particles caused the lagg, actually the same issue as during the recent celebrations with the balloon overloads.
If the devs can adjust the programming on a basic level so that it'll need less CPU to process these particles then future lagging can be avoided.

Those who have waited for the flame-thrower get their long awaited goody (i admit that i'm one of them) and the game gets less laggy.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,474
# 25
03-08-2013, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by questerius View Post
Actually fixing the problems with the flame-thrower benefits the whole game.
The large number of particles caused the lagg, actually the same issue as during the recent celebrations with the balloon overloads.
If the devs can adjust the programming on a basic level so that it'll need less CPU to process these particles then future lagging can be avoided.

Those who have waited for the flame-thrower get their long awaited goody (i admit that i'm one of them) and the game gets less laggy.
That's what I had always heard but I have seen these on Holodeck in the last few Fed Colony Invasions I have ran. I had no issues with lag while the other used this to attack multiple enemies and flailed about with it. If anything, it just made me want one more because it looks like fun.
Captain
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,996
# 26
03-08-2013, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsww View Post
That's what I had always heard but I have seen these on Holodeck in the last few Fed Colony Invasions I have ran. I had no issues with lag while the other used this to attack multiple enemies and flailed about with it. If anything, it just made me want one more because it looks like fun.
But the flame-thrower turrets are relatively high tier embassy kits and therefore not available to the majority of players.

The romulan flame-thrower, although a T5 reputation weapon, is relatively available when released and with many people purchasing/testing/using them there is a real danger of lagg.

We've seen this lagg with the balloons and if the pixel processing can be made into a more smooth process then the whole game benefits.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,474
# 27
03-08-2013, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by questerius View Post
But the flame-thrower turrets are relatively high tier embassy kits and therefore not available to the majority of players.

The romulan flame-thrower, although a T5 reputation weapon, is relatively available when released and with many people purchasing/testing/using them there is a real danger of lagg.

We've seen this lagg with the balloons and if the pixel processing can be made into a more smooth process then the whole game benefits.
People do have them as they were available for a short period of time before they were pulled from the Rep Store. These were not turrets and were the one that was formerly qavailable in the Rep Store that these players were using. The most I've seen in a single instance was two and I had no lag at all. Ever since Cryptic cleaned up their sloppy ATI based coding though, lag hasn't been an issue for me (back in early to mid February).
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,223
# 28
03-08-2013, 01:10 PM
Quote:
edit : forgot to mention : the flamethrower tank doesn't refill when we switch to the secondary weapon. Which mean, if we run out of fuel, switch to the other gun to keep fighting, and switch back to the flamethrower, we will still be out of juice.
Guys, in your current argument you are glossing over how hilarious this is.
Commander
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 374
# 29
03-09-2013, 05:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erei1 View Post
Key words. In YOUR opinion they should work on something else. In MY opinion, I like them to work on the flamethrower. Who's right ?
That's not because YOU think it's not important, and there are more pressing matter, that you are right, and everyone agree. I for one disagree.
Cool, you think a flamethrower is more important in STO than improved gameplay. I can dig it. Apparently, you win anyhow.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:37 PM.