Captain
I'm wanting an alien to be hovering over an ancient artifact. The artifact I'm using is grave marker 12, and I place the contact a few metres above it, with the float-idle animation.

But when I come to test it, she's dissapeared. I tried putting an invisible object under her to stand on when she spawns, but she's still missing, though her little ! is present on the map from where her 'default text' is on. It's a scratchbuilt map, so I'm wondering if it could be the same bug that's causing the boffs to fall through the turbolift floor upon spawning? Anyone got any ideas? Or am I going to have to move her off from the artifact and just have her floating on the ground?

Also, anyone noticed with the wall console 1 (the big blue ones), they give off a shrill whine when you get close? Which makes it a bit uncomfortable when you have a corridor of them.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Rihannsu
# 2
03-02-2013, 07:19 PM
Preview mode has a big bug that causes Boffs and NPCs to disappear.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 3
03-02-2013, 07:20 PM
Invisible object don't provide any support so your contact is falling. You can use an invisible wall and perch them on top of that, just be sure to copy the coordinates as they need to match correctly to keep the contact or object from falling off.
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
03-02-2013, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grylak View Post
I'm wanting an alien to be hovering over an ancient artifact. The artifact I'm using is grave marker 12, and I place the contact a few metres above it, with the float-idle animation.

But when I come to test it, she's dissapeared. I tried putting an invisible object under her to stand on when she spawns, but she's still missing, though her little ! is present on the map from where her 'default text' is on. It's a scratchbuilt map, so I'm wondering if it could be the same bug that's causing the boffs to fall through the turbolift floor upon spawning? Anyone got any ideas? Or am I going to have to move her off from the artifact and just have her floating on the ground?

Also, anyone noticed with the wall console 1 (the big blue ones), they give off a shrill whine when you get close? Which makes it a bit uncomfortable when you have a corridor of them.
Just for thoroughness, can to publish it and test it in live? Quirks in preview don't always translate to live. I would also double check the "Y relative to" is the same for all your objects. Also give it a could extra meters and see if it appears.

@greendragoon
Captain
# 5
03-03-2013, 03:32 AM
That'll teach me to try and build missions at half 2 in the morning. Her height was set at 55. The ceiling is 54.254. Stupid me.

Though if invisible objects don't hold you up, and they are not seen or bumpable, what use do they have?

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Career Officer
# 6
03-03-2013, 03:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grylak View Post
That'll teach me to try and build missions at half 2 in the morning. Her height was set at 55. The ceiling is 54.254. Stupid me.

Though if invisible objects don't hold you up, and they are not seen or bumpable, what use do they have?
I recently discovered this myself.
Invisible Objects have no collision on the top.
if you want a ground contact to appear "floating" ... stand them on top of an Invisible WALL.
The walls have collision on top and so hold the contact unlike invis objects.

Hope that helps

As to the use of invisible objects. Objective points , both in space and ground, where a wall is not the right shape. *shrug*

-John
Captain
# 7
03-03-2013, 04:12 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I never thought of using the invisible objects as objective markers. I always used reach place marker. Though this could actually help with a problem at the start, where I've had to put wrecks around the ship you are meant to scan at various points through the level to trigger the action.

And finally, after being in the foundry for over 6 months, I've finally got my second mission, first scratchbuilt map complete. I don't know how you guys can crank these things out so quickly.

Last edited by grylak; 03-03-2013 at 04:14 AM.
Captain
# 8
03-04-2013, 06:39 PM
Yeah, I use invisible objects all the time as dialog triggers for trees where contacts will not work or objects that are non-interactable.