Captain
# 31
04-03-2013, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by archoncryptic View Post
-It should be disabled on social zones - I'll look into why it might be usable on the Embassy, thanks.
Oh that's easy peasy- the Embassy is set as a combat map, not a social zone. All engineer powers work on it too, including cover shield (lotta griefing in my old fleet, let me tell you).
Captain
# 32
04-03-2013, 09:21 PM
It should set targets on fire, or at least have a very high chance to set targets on fire.
Rihannsu
# 33
04-03-2013, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
Wouldn't the Tholians have a high resistance to a flame thrower? Since they live in thousand degree temperatures?

I tried it on Romulans in the final Romulan FE, did okay AoE damage. But ran out of gas before I BBQed the whole group.
Well, it does plasma damage and I don't think tholians are resistant, but I could be wrong.

It's possible that part of my issue was that i was using it on point targets, that's not really what it's designed for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundrelic View Post
It should set targets on fire, or at least have a very high chance to set targets on fire.
It has a 15% chance per hit to give the target a plasma fire DoT.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 34 Mixed reactions
04-17-2013, 12:43 PM
I like the look and the way you can swing the flames about, heck I love it apart from the obvious issue. I attacked Borg and more normal foes with it, and frankly it's more of a vanity weapon than a practical piece of advanced Romulan weaponry.

I aimed at a single Borg and tapped the secondary fire, literally just tapped it and it adapted to it, and that's with the Tier 3 Omega perk that reduces their adaption rate. Against normal foes I just die, I'm genuinely better of with a split beam rifle, and I'm far from a fan of those things.

It needs a higher rate of damage, like 40-50% more to make it worth working for. Also I don't see how the Borg could adapt to having burning plasma dumped on them. Warp coolant didn't exactly do them much good in the movies from memory, though I do accept they need to adapt could it be a lot later?

Overall, it just doesn't feel worth using, just pretty to look at instead of a weapon of awe. I hope that didn't sound too mad, just think it should have more potential or everyone is going to hate it when it gets released.
Career Officer
# 35
04-18-2013, 03:00 AM
Just tested this on New Romulus with my KDF engineer and I have to say I'm reasonably impressed, but not impressed enough to actually get one, yet.

Some interesting quirks;

- No 'ammo counter'. The only way I knew it'd run out of fuel was that the thing stopped firing. Intended?

- Giving this to my BOff was amusing/frustrating. I first gave it to him and charged at a pair of Tal Shiar. He would fire for about 5 seconds, stop to activate some buffs, fire again for another 5 seconds then just stop. The target wasn't dead yet either. We moved on to the 2nd encounter and he just would not fire at all. Threw grenades, activated buffs, but would not fire it. He resorted to punching a Thalaron drone at one point. The only way he would use it was when I gave the 'attack normally' command, which is something I've not had to do when he's had any other weapon. Gave him back his Omega AP carbine, he was running around normally, and shooting at stuff.

- Damage seemed somewhat low compared to my HG MKXII pulsewave/AHG Mk XII rifle. I'm guessing because this is meant to be more of a DoT weapon? If so, not sure why I'd use it in lieu of a sniper rifle or pulsewave, especially given the reports of how quickly the Borg adapt to it. Plus, you need to keep your finger held down on '1' in RPG mode, which is rather annoying if you're also trying to move around and use your kit.

Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0niusrex View Post
-Sela now has a cape.
-She'll be starring in a 3-part miniseries on the Elements Network (Entertainment for Romulan Women) called "How Sela Got Her Cape Back". It's a feel-good story about women's empowerment and the importance of a good wardrobe for military leaders.
Lieutenant
# 36
04-18-2013, 07:32 AM
I've had very little problems with this lovely weapon, but haven't tried on Borg, but it does work extremely well on Tholians on both Mol'Rihan and Nukara. Tal'Shiar almost insta-die from it, but only works fair on those scorpions in Vastan Peaks area, but not as well as the Ferengi Whip. However Hirogen seem extremely resistant to it.

It has twice the range of that sad Cryo Launcher from the Crystalweave ground set. The range is also quite a bit farther than pulsewaves, so I have no idea why others are having range problems. Maybe something to do with my traits? Only a wild guess.

I do agree that damage needs to go up a bit(at least on some targets) as well as set targets on plasma fire.
Starfleet Veteran
# 37
04-18-2013, 09:55 AM
The only place that I can see the Flamethrower being useful is against the Salt Vampires in Mine Trap, or some of the Foundry missions with zombies. Otherwise, I can't really see a use. The Borg adapt too quickly, and enemies are too prone to running when I close in with the Flamethrower.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 38
04-18-2013, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the feedback, all. We're still iterating on this and trying to get it into the best shape possible. To answer a few comments:

-There definitely should be a visible ammo gauge. It's near the weapon icon on the action bar on the bottom of the UI. If this isn't appearing for everyone, we might have a UI bug, and I'll look into that.

-We're still looking into optimizing Bridge Officer AI with these. Since the weapon is so unusual, this is a little tricky. At present, they should prioritize the primary fire when attacking a single target and use the secondary fire when 2 more more targets are in their firing arc. As for them prioritizing BOFF powers over firing the weapon, we'll have to look at that further.

-Borg should be adapting to this much more slowly than they used to (it should take about 4x as long). I'd encourage those of you who used it against the Borg before to try it again and see how it feels. This weapon isn't strictly made for fighting Borg - it is a Plasma weapon, after all - but we don't want it to feel totally useless, either.

-We relatively recently increased the weapon's chance to trigger a Plasma DoT on the target. It should be a significant chance on every tick now, and potentially stack with itself if you hit the same target long enough.

-Some of you have been asking about the design intent here. This is intended to be a weapon that is used against a large number of targets at once, such as in Mine Trap. We realize this is fairly niche for the time being, but we don't want the weapon to be a "must have" for every single situation. As time goes on, we should see more content where this type of weapon is particularly effective.

Thanks again for all the feedback.
Career Officer
Is there a release date scheduled for this weapon?

I would find it highly amusing if the unique Romulan Weapon is not made available on the day the Romulan Faction comes out!

You have two weeks left to avoid dramatic irony......
Career Officer
# 40
06-03-2013, 08:56 PM
Just outta curiosity, will this weapon be available to Romulan/Reman characters without having to grind for months to get it? The weapon vendors at the flotilla and the HQ both have the flamethrower models at their stands, and it stands to reason that as some of the highest ranking ROMULAN and REMAN officers we should be able to use their tech...
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91856067000&dateline=  1340218559
Vote YES to the Jupiter Class Dreadnought!
Don't know what it is? Visit my forum HERE
And now check out the new Jupiter Class Dreadnought forum HERE