Career Officer
# 1 Foundry Authors Academy
03-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Hi there,

I'm Cerberusfilms and this thread is for Information and Discussion of the Foundry Author Academy "Courses". If you haven't read the Article, please click here.

!!!----------!!!
Click HERE to go to the Stream Page!

!!!----------!!!

!!!----------!!!
Click here to rewatch the First Weeks Livestream on YouTube
!!!----------!!!

-Week 1 (Saturday 23rd of March 1PM PDT/ 8PM GMT)-

Join experienced Foundry authors in a live streamed Q&A session as they guide you through how to create a Foundry mission and listen to as well as see the various design methodologies used. No question is a stupid question, not even "Where's Sulu?"! (well.. maybe that one)

-Week 2 (Saturday 6th of April 1:30PM PDT/ 9:30PM GMT GMT)-

Building on the previous weeks experience, attendees for this 'lecture' will have the opportunity to speak directly to experienced Foundry authors in a smaller group setting; allowing them to follow along with individual authors and ask questions.

-Week 3 (Saturday 20th of April 1PM PDT/ 9PM GMT)-

It's Competition Time! You've seen how it's done, you've asked your questions, now it is ?Kobayashi Maru? time.
On the Friday before, April 19th, participating authors will be provided a brief from which to create your missions. Participants will then have twenty-four hours to build a mission from scratch. In the final hours of the competition PrimetimeUGC will be livestreaming the event, featuring special guests, including authors from the community, podcasters and maybe even a Developer or two.

Once time has elapsed, PrimetimeUGC's guests will go forth and play the published missions in small groups. You'll be able to watch each of the groups and listen to their feedback as they play on individual livestreams. They'll rate the mission based on various criteria, and after they have all been played the scores will be tallied and awards given for different categories. The winners will receive prizes provided by Cryptic and generous community members. The winning missions will also be honoured by the Foundry Spotlight*.

(*Must meet certain criteria.)

Click here to register your interest for the events (This is completely OPTIONAL and purely so we can gauge how many people to expect)

FAQ

Q. What topics will be covered during the 'Lectures'?
A. Anything and EVERYTHING! These Tutorials are for you, so if there's something you'd like for us to add to the 'Curiculum', let us know! A lit of Topics can be Found below.

Q. When will the Brief be given for the Competition?
A. The Brief for Week 3's competition will be made public at 10am PST/5pm GMT.

Q. How can I sign up to the events?
A. Signups are entirely optional, feel free to just turn up on the day. However we do have a signup survey to help us gauge what you want to learn, and how many people to expect. You can access that here

Q. Where will the Streaming take place?
A. You can watch the main stream and participate in the chat at this address http://cerberusfilms.net/Live

Q. How can I be a Foundry "Tutor/Teacher" for Week 2?
A. You can visit this link on StarbaseUGC for instructions, or this link to go directly to the Signup Survey.

Q. What sort of prizes are there for the winning missions?
A. In addition to having your mission be Spotlit, we have prizes ranging from Costumes to Ships and even Zen Promo Points.

Q. You mentioned that we would be able to speak to the Foundry Authors, how can we do that?
A. During Week 2, you'll be able to speak directly to the Foundry Authors via a free Skype Group Call, whilst watching your authors video stream.

Q. What if I don't have a microphone?
A. You'll still be able to join in the group Q&A via text form using Skype.

Q. Who will be giving the Tutorials and be attending the Final weeks 'Entertainment Broadcast"?
A. The full lists of both those who will be conducting the 'Lectures' as well as the Guests who will be attending Week 3's Broadcast, can be found listed at the bottom of this Post

Q. Will we be able to watch the Livestream again as a podcast?
A. Yes you will be able to watch the Main Livestream again on YouTube almost instantly after the stream ends (all being well). Individual streams being available will depend a little more on the streamer (if they want it to be in High Definition).

If You have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them in this thread.
Or you can tweet us @Cerberusfilms @StarbaseUGC @PrimetimeUGC .
Or if you do not have a twitter account, feel free to send me a PM here on the forums.

Or finally, you can check out www.starbaseugc.com for more details and additional information on the foundry. (Please join the foundry community in SBUGC's IRC Chatroom linked through the site, introduce yourself, we don't bite, usually)
Don't forget, if you're tweeting about the FAA, please use the #FoundryAuthorsAcademy

-Curriculum-
(If you would like any topics added, please let us know)

How to Access the Foundry Toolset.
How to Create a Map and what the different types mean (Space, Ground, Interior).
How to place Objects and NPC's on the maps.
How to place Objectives/
What's the difference between NPC Groups and Contacts?
Selecting the Right Background!

And many more

-List of Authors who have confirmed their attendance to Week 1/2 Tutorials-

CaptPFDennis
Skydawn
Bazag
CommodoreBob
Cerberusfilms
Slickrick1701e
Castmodean
Kirkfat
Greendragoon

Check back regularly for Updates.

-List of Guests who have confirmed their attendance-

List TBA
Check back regularly for Updates.

Last edited by cerberusfilms; 04-07-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 2
03-05-2013, 12:00 PM
Thread stickied

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Captain
# 3
03-05-2013, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberusfilms View Post

[center]-Week 1 (Saturday 23rd of March 12 Noon PST/ 7PM GMT)-

Join experienced Foundry authors in a live streamed Q&A session as they guide you through how to create a Foundry mission and listen to as well as see the various design methodologies used. No question is a stupid question, not even "Where's Sulu?"! (well.. maybe that one)
Can someone do a transcript and put it online afterwards? Live events are great for some people, but I've never been able to make one fit my schedule, and it is just vastly easier for me to read a document. Also, once attendance gets up over 20 people I kinda lose all interest in participating.

But I love the foundry and would like to figure it out. So I'm sure the content of the event would be extremely beneficial to me.
Community Moderator
# 4
03-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Not sure about my availability to participate, but I sure hope I can at least catch some of the sessions.

Any possibility the sessions will be 'podcasted' for later viewing/listening?
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Rihannsu
# 5
03-05-2013, 02:13 PM
Cerberus:

Please sign me up... this sounds like exactly the kind of 'career development' I need as a new Foundry author
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-05-2013, 03:00 PM
I'd love to see these sessions firsthand. Here's hoping that my schedule works in my favor. The competition sounds like fun!

by @Skydawn - member of Starbase UGC
Ensign
# 7
03-05-2013, 05:10 PM
I have made a few foundry missions with some success. Most of my learning has been from videos and such from Star base UGC. I for one can't wait for this and look forward to attending. Working on clearing my schedule now..
Ensign
# 8
03-05-2013, 05:32 PM
Very interested in this unfortunately having the first installment during the final beta for Neverwinter weekend might make it difficult to attend. That said, I am following and hopefully will be able to participate.
Republic Veteran
# 9
03-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Go ahead and sign me up as an "expert". I'll give my two slips concerning design efficiency as well as answer any questions related to what Cryptic told me they are looking for in terms of design experience (yes, the foundry does count).
Click here to watch my STO play-through video series.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-06-2013, 08:24 AM
So what are the criteria to join? And how do you join this competition?