Rihannsu
# 71
03-24-2013, 09:09 PM
I have really mixed feelings about the "new old" Gorn. On one hand, they looks nice and there is plenty of existing apocryphal backup for there being multiple species of Gorn within the Hegemony. On the other hand, the rigid caste system - with all the mooks being one species, all the lieutenants being another, all the snipers being yet a third -- and exclusively female -- and so forth seems odd. Frankly, my knee jerk reaction is to say it smacks of Halo-rip-offery, something Perpetual also struggled with.

However, the thing that really worries me about the "new old" Gorn is their role in the story. Historically, most of the apocrypha has presented the Gorn as a culturally advanced race that - while it might not be ideologically aligned with the Federation - wasn't a bunch of "scary villains" once us primates get past their scaly hides. Indeed, in one parallel universe the Gorn ended up as a crucial Federation ally. All of the publicity I've seen for the ST game seems to indicate that the Gorn are being re-imagined as drooling monsters, intent on "conquering the Federation." I'm disappointed to see the ST game going down a path that diminishes the originality of the Gorn.

TL;DR: I'm OK with the artwork, but there are a lot of other implications in the game's initial publicity that I'm not thrilled with.
Empire Veteran
# 72
03-24-2013, 09:26 PM
Anyone who believes JJ Abrams is ruining Trek simply doesn't have an open mind. While I agree the Gorn in the new game could be better at least it's something different. The reason Trek was suffering before JJ Abrams took over is because it was the same old stuff, just re-worked for a different crew, ship and time.

Weather you want to face it or not, JJ Abrams has brought many new fans into the genre, without new fans the Trek legacy and universe would eventually die. Many of these new fans even play STO so in a way STO owes a lot of it's financial success to Abrams.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
Cryptic is sloppy. Breaking News at 11. This is what happens when there is no outline or plan and you just make up **** as you go along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder75 View Post
We can tell our great grandchildren, "In my day, our cloaks were so sensitive that even dialogue broke them and we couldn't change our clothes!"
Captain
# 73
03-24-2013, 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird001 View Post
Look at these bad-bois!

http://www.startrek.com/article/happy-gorn-day-yall

Enough said why this game isn't doing so well...
"why this game isn't doing so well..."

That's an opinion, not fact. And no, the Gorn should alternately look like either;

TOS: http://goo.gl/2ARAV
ENT: http://goo.gl/w3LcL

EDIT: It should be noted, while the game is certainly set in the "JJ universe", the games Gorn look nothing like the proposed Gorn that were cut from the 2009 movie; http://goo.gl/qLXRV

Last edited by meurik; 03-24-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 74
03-25-2013, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meurik View Post
"why this game isn't doing so well..."

That's an opinion, not fact. And no, the Gorn should alternately look like either;

TOS: http://goo.gl/2ARAV
ENT: http://goo.gl/w3LcL

EDIT: It should be noted, while the game is certainly set in the "JJ universe", the games Gorn look nothing like the proposed Gorn that were cut from the 2009 movie; http://goo.gl/qLXRV
What a conservative stick in the mud!

For one, that is once more opinion, not fact. In-fact, yours for now.
Two, the Gorn made for the 2009 film were limited by makeup.
CGI wasn't offered in this scenario, even though it could have been.

Now then, didn't you consider that Digital Extremes were giving the Gorn some justice?
As well as some kind of a unified, synchronized form between the 2009 Barney Burman
Gorn makeup, the TOS Gorn Captain and the ENT Gorn Slave Master? Hmm, perhaps?

I mean please, it's not like the Gorn have gone through several variations already.
Career Officer
# 75
03-25-2013, 09:29 AM
I actually like our Godzilla (2000) Gorn.

That said, the new Gorn and the ENT Gorn are... kinda awful imho.

Fortunately, I seem to recall the ENT episode mentioning there being several different unique appearing Gorn sub-species (presumably to excuse the differences between TOS and ENT Gorn)? So perhaps all preferences could be accommodated.

Also, this game is in fact doing remarkably well (tons of population, tons of money) since F2P and most certainly NOT in the JJverse.

KDF on the other hand, remains sad.
Wampaq@Jnoh, Fleet Leader: ..Bloodbath and Beyond 'Iw HaH je Hoch!
Starbase 5-5-4-4 || Embassy 3-3-3 || Mine 3-3-3 || Spire 3-3-3
A laid back KDF fleet welcoming independent, casual, & part-time players and groups. Roms & alts welcome.
Send in-game mail to Wampaq@Jnoh, visit our recruitment thread and FB page for more info.

Last edited by jnohd; 03-25-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Captain
# 76
03-25-2013, 09:41 AM
While I have no problem with these Raptors as aliens, they are a bit too different from the Gorn to be Gorn to me. For example, the difference between the Ent and the TOS gorn is fine. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for redesign, but these look more like those aliens from Voyager that were descended from the dinosaurs. It would be like having Vulcans without their pointy ears.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'

Last edited by grylak; 03-25-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 77
03-25-2013, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
I'm pretty sure JJ has very little if any input into the video game.
But you can get the same effect by putting a flashlight on top of your monitor, angled into your eyes.
Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
Empire Veteran
# 78
03-25-2013, 05:16 PM
I would rather be a raptor than the 2009 Possible Gorn....
R'tolves Will Spread Thier Peace and Will Prevail Over the Hostiles Who Dare Hurt Such A Isolationist Consitutional Monarchy!

Last edited by blagorm; 03-25-2013 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Spelling - Raptor
Career Officer
# 79
03-25-2013, 05:32 PM
Other than their massive size, the STO Gorn look more or less like the ones we saw on TOS and Enterprise.
Empire Veteran
# 80
03-25-2013, 06:16 PM
Lol naevius I just spat my drink at my monitor when I read that.

The JJ portrayal as the Klingons worries me a bit, I get the sneaky feeling that they are going to be shown as a bunch of morons getting outwitted by Kirk and co at every turn rather than the worthy foe that Kor and the other Klingons of the era were in the TOS.
toDuj 'oS rol.