Survivor of Romulus
# 11
03-05-2013, 04:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kargister View Post
No one learns anything there because people are too busy telling each other how stupid everyone is except for themselves. And yet, no one ever once gives out any advice about how the game should be played, i.e., what to do. Unless you count the obvious,"Google is your friend NOOB!" comments.
I'm sorry, but from my experience of pugging STFs this simply isn't true. I tend to find that the majority of the bad players are unwilling to listen, or simply have chat turned off. It got so bad, and I wasted so much time trying to explain the strategy to people unwilling or unable to listen, that I gave up pugging for good and refuse to run any (except on the tribble server, where everyone knows what they are doing)

I think it should be mandatory to have the team chat window open during STFs, you should not be able to close it. That would solve many of the problems, after all, it is a team event.
Career Officer
# 12
03-05-2013, 04:53 AM
Please don't get me wrong with what I am about to post, as I think it a good idea too.

Sadly, I do think that there would be those who would throw their proverbial toys out of the pram over it - Infected and Hive Onslaught are the only two STF's that players cannot 'lose' as such (i.e there is no 'if you don't protect the Kang or if you DO let ten probes through, mission failed).

As already mentioned, the type of player we are discussing avoids Hive Onslaught. However, said players want Omega points and if ISE is the only STF they participate in, it's the only way they're going to obtain them.

Sadly, I have little doubt that removing the only STF that doesn't have a 'built in' fail would upset the players who want their Omega marks and DON'T want to have to play the, arguably, more difficult STF's which involve a probabilty of failure or, in the case of HOSE, they feel is just too difficult.

But to reiterate, I think it's a good suggestion and it would probably result in the loss of players who can't be bothered to listen/learn, but on the flipside, would proably also result in a few players learning to do it right!

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Commander
# 13
03-05-2013, 04:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsteward View Post
+1

Great idea
Quote:
Originally Posted by topset View Post
I'm sorry, but from my experience of pugging STFs this simply isn't true. I tend to find that the majority of the bad players are unwilling to listen, or simply have chat turned off. It got so bad, and I wasted so much time trying to explain the strategy to people unwilling or unable to listen, that I gave up pugging for good and refuse to run any (except on the tribble server, where everyone knows what they are doing)

I think it should be mandatory to have the team chat window open during STFs, you should not be able to close it. That would solve many of the problems, after all, it is a team event.
Having chat on wont change anything. The only time i noticed chat to Work is when for example, i am on Vortex Elite, and i am attacking the final gate, both trans are gone, and my four other team mates are keeping themselves busy with spheres. That is, until i point out that there is less than 2 mins left on the option timer, then i suddenly get some help with the final gate.

Or another idea is to turn PvP on in STF's, so we can blast the **** out of any player that isn't toeing the line.... (this is a joke by the way! )

All the devs have to do IMO is put a fail-safe in The Conduit Elite, to control the noobies better.

I do have to confess, admitting your true abilities is a hard thing to do. I too tried The Hive Elite a few times, until i realised that i am just not good enough. I get blown up so many times that i rinse all my repair components, so i found myself hitting a big loss. So I too only now stick to "Normal" with The Hive. BoP's dont respond too well to multi-invisitorps of death!
Ensign
# 14
03-05-2013, 04:59 AM
I guess it is the responsibility of the people who actually know what they are doing to give the noobs some direction in a non-condescending way so they actually listen. But I know that will never happen.
Career Officer
# 15
03-05-2013, 05:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzybutterballs View Post
I guess it is the responsibility of the people who actually know what they are doing to give the noobs some direction in a non-condescending way so they actually listen. But I know that will never happen.
This is only about 1% true. If you're going to enter an elite (or any STF for that matter) it is your responsibility to at least have a vague idea what you are doing, not expect to be given everything on a plate and your free reputation marks.

When I hit 50 I thought I could take on the world, ran about 3 normals and then went for an elite and got a ton of abuse from the other players. I deserved it frankly since I messed up the optional and almost failed the entire mission. So I went and read the wiki and ran with my fleet for a bit to learn the ropes with people who wouldn't get mad. I'm still not the greatest player but I last most elites without dying and contribute my share rather than being a burden on the team with 4 people throwing heals on me left right and centre.
Commander
# 16
03-05-2013, 05:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsloan31 View Post
This is only about 1% true. If you're going to enter an elite (or any STF for that matter) it is your responsibility to at least have a vague idea what you are doing, not expect to be given everything on a plate and your free reputation marks.
A man after my own heart......
Career Officer
# 17
03-05-2013, 05:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyan01 View Post
Please don't get me wrong with what I am about to post, as I think it a good idea too.

Sadly, I do think that there would be those who would throw their proverbial toys out of the pram over it - Infected and Hive Onslaught are the only two STF's that players cannot 'lose' as such (i.e there is no 'if you don't protect the Kang or if you DO let ten probes through, mission failed).

As already mentioned, the type of player we are discussing avoids Hive Onslaught. However, said players want Omega points and if ISE is the only STF they participate in, it's the only way they're going to obtain them.

Sadly, I have little doubt that removing the only STF that doesn't have a 'built in' fail would upset the players who want their Omega marks and DON'T want to have to play the, arguably, more difficult STF's which involve a probabilty of failure or, in the case of HOSE, they feel is just too difficult.

But to reiterate, I think it's a good suggestion and it would probably result in the loss of players who can't be bothered to listen/learn, but on the flipside, would proably also result in a few players learning to do it right!
But does it matter? You can get sufficient omega marks through normal or Defera. Should devs really cater to the terrible players who refuse to try to learn because they NEEED elite gear, when they can't even beat the easiest elite missions without someone doing it for them?
Delirium Tremens
Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
Nothing to do anymore.
http://dtfleet.com/
Visit our Youtube channel
Survivor of Romulus
# 18
03-05-2013, 06:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmako View Post
I do have to confess, admitting your true abilities is a hard thing to do. I too tried The Hive Elite a few times, until i realised that i am just not good enough. I get blown up so many times that i rinse all my repair components, so i found myself hitting a big loss. So I too only now stick to "Normal" with The Hive. BoP's dont respond too well to multi-invisitorps of death!
While this is true, Hive Elite requires a good team to pull off. If I'm in a bad team, we're all blowing up regularly because someone has aggro'd all the cubes. With a great team, crowd control, staying as a group and careful burst damage - you'll all survive with few casualties. It requires care and teamwork far more than the others!
Career Officer
# 19
03-05-2013, 06:08 AM
Quote:
All the devs have to do IMO is put a fail-safe in The Conduit Elite, to control the noobies better.
I agree with this as the initial topic of the thread - ISE should have an actual, factual fail condition like KASE and CSE. I don't particularly care if it's the same as the optional objective or something different, but it should definitely have a fail condition. HOSE is something else entirely, though... it is its own fail condition.

Quote:
Yeah, it's not you. HOSE is generally regarded as the hardest of the currently available space ESTFs, and I wouldn't consider setting foot in it without a pre-made group. No one can reliably stand up to multiple Heavy Plasma (invisible) Torpedoes that routinely hit for 90k or more, sometimes through shields!

In regard to hating Star Trek 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kain9prime View Post
IDIC fail.
Career Officer
# 20
03-05-2013, 06:13 AM
I agree there should be a fail condition.

I also think it shows you how badly parts of the STF system are thought out when its by far the easiest elite to do, even with what one would not consider a great team of people yet noobs still manage to screw it up so badly. I know its been put out there so many times before but this problem wouldn't really exist unless there was a minimum requirement to progress from normal to elite but that is a different story...