Rihannsu
# 11
03-05-2013, 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allocater View Post
The STO story writer recently said, she got a new technology: The ability to create dialog based on species.

Now that alone does not seem that significant, but if you think about the fact that a Romulan 'faction' has to be able to play all the Features Episodes Series, it suddenly comes together.

The feature episodes will be changed from:
if(klingon_faction) klingon_dialog
if(federation_faction) federation_dialog

to:
if(federation_species) federation_dialog
if(klingon_species) klingon_dialog
if(romulan_species) romulan_dialog

So Romulans will not be a faction. They will be a species!

Maybe there will be 5 missions exclusively for 1 species, but the rest of the game will be faction-neutral for everybody, with different dialogs based on species.
I have not hear the interview so perhaps i am missing somethin but you seem to be making an awful lot of assumptions there.

1) Romulans dont have to have access to FE. Would be nice but its by no means guaranteed.

2) she is probably referring to your character or boff (ie vulcan, gorn etc) so that she can write multiple version of the same text, just tailor them to the species.

3) why does it turn the romulans from a faction to a species. we already have 2 factions before that do both unique an cross faction content. why not 3?

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Rihannsu
# 12
03-05-2013, 05:20 AM
imho +1 argument for a playable faction
Commander
# 13
03-05-2013, 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
3) why does it turn the romulans from a faction to a species. we already have 2 factions before that do both unique an cross faction content. why not 3?
Who knows what kind of hard-coding was put in place to make that work, or what kind of hoops they've had to jump through to get additional text put into the game as a result.

I'm no programmer, or even what I would consider a novice programmer, but I've dinked around enough with C++ to know that sometimes you take the shortcut, and worry about the formal system later (either because it's unnecessary or because it's too time consuming).

I'm sure that's 10x as true when trying to get something as complex as an MMO released on a short schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaths1 View Post
imho +1 argument for a playable faction
One might say that you're biased.

Last edited by millimidget; 03-05-2013 at 05:53 AM.
Captain
# 14
03-05-2013, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsteward View Post
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes

Man oh man you're brave!

Last edited by pwebranflakes; 03-05-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Captain
# 15
03-05-2013, 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperthumper View Post
I seriously doubt there will be a different dialogue for every single playable species in the game.
All it means is that they can now insert flavor text when certain things match up. Like the Breen-mobile yielding unique dialogue from Breen NPCs in the Deferi dailies.

Last edited by stirling191; 03-05-2013 at 06:16 AM.
Career Officer
# 16
03-05-2013, 06:12 AM
Irrelevant. Without more fact speculation is futile.

(Really need a Borg smiley. How does a Star Trek forum not have a Star Trek smilies )
Most JJ Trek hate = IDIC fail.
Quote:
Most who don't like the new Star Trek either didn't like TOS, don't remember TOS, or didn't see TOS
Empire Veteran
# 17
03-05-2013, 06:16 AM
Quote:
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes
Do you even realize how offensive that would be if she read this?
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post13990891

Last edited by pwebranflakes; 03-05-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Career Officer
# 18
03-05-2013, 06:25 AM
I'm offended from reading it, pretty sure she would be too
Delirium Tremens
Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
Nothing to do anymore.
http://dtfleet.com/
Visit our Youtube channel
Captain
# 19
03-05-2013, 06:58 AM
Two things:

1.)No source was given. Where was this 'said'?

2.)Engine support does not mean feature implementation. Just because the engine 'may' support the ability for a third factional check(which is the OP's implication), it doesn't mean that such a faction currently exists - only that there is more groundwork to support it at some point.
Captain
# 20
03-05-2013, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Let's see you explain that without resorting to sexism...

Last edited by pwebranflakes; 03-05-2013 at 07:53 AM.