Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Gameplay Bug Reports
Login

Notices

Empire Veteran
# 21
03-06-2013, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
You can. If a torpedo is targetable, then it's not just a dumb-FX. It can be forced to re-target, and can be outran, giving you extra time in which to shoot it down.

All such torpedoes also have finite lifespans, but they're usually around 60sec, which is a lot of running around.
Only if torpedoes fired from a B'rel had the effect of the borg invis torps Is such a touchy subject I might just dismiss my b'rels though and replace them with ships with a lil more storage space.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-06-2013, 04:11 PM
So then you can acknowledge the fact that there are invisible torpedoes and is this considered a bug or WAI?? Because like someone mentioned this has been going on for a looooooong time and there has never been a fix to this. Can you confirm whether or not its being looked into or not? and when can we get a fix for this or if there is something that we the players can do to see these invisible torpedoes?
Starfleet Veteran
# 23
03-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aramyll View Post
So then you can acknowledge the fact that there are invisible torpedoes and is this considered a bug or WAI?? Because like someone mentioned this has been going on for a looooooong time and there has never been a fix to this. Can you confirm whether or not its being looked into or not? and when can we get a fix for this or if there is something that we the players can do to see these invisible torpedoes?
There's nothing to look into.

The "invisi-torp" is the result of the gfx engine failing to draw the torpedo properly which results in its actual animation lagging behind the damage it deals by a good margin. A cube could fire a torpedo and you could hit Evasive Maneuvers at the same time, get 15 Km away, and blow up from the damage and later see the torpedo's animation catch up.

Torpedo hit chance is calculated at the time they are fired and how long it takes them to reach you is calculated according to your distance from the target at the time. So if you were 7 Km away and it takes 4 seconds for the torpedo to reach you, if you hit Evasive Maneuvers and get out to 15 Km in those 4 seconds it will STILL hit you because only the ANIMATION of the torpedo is slower than your ship. It will catch up while you're waiting to respawn or it will blink out of existence from either being too far out to see or from reaching its animation duration lifetime (usually 60 seconds).
Commander
# 24
03-14-2013, 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
Non-targetable torpedoes are just FX. They are not real "things" in the world, and they can't recalculate their variables after the point that they are created. Their flight speed and time-to-impact are calculated at the moment they are created, measured against their target's current position.

If you are at 5km from a Borg that launches a torpedo, it should take X sec to reach you.

Now, you hit Evasive Maneuvers and move away from the Borg at high speed. X sec still pass, and the torpedo still hits you at the point in time that was measured from your position at 5km, and you are hit with a torpedo even though you're now 15-20km away. But the actual torpedo FX are still traveling, because you outran them.
While that may explain the visual oddity, it still doesn't explain why a single, non-targetable torpedo from a borg gateway can kill most ships in a single hit.

At the very least it should fire in spreads or with high-yield like the unimatrix ships do, which partly solves any visual problem.

But even so, the damage values in general need to change; anything that can potentially be invisible, shouldn't be able to deal upwards of 50k damage in a single (apparently non-critical) hit. I can understand a high level borg ship dealing lots of sustained damage that will wreck you in a short time if it remains focused on you alone rather than spread between multiple targets; this would at least encourage proper tanking and healing, but currently it's just a random chance to die any time you're in range.

So yeah, while it's great to have an explanation of what the bug really is, I'd rather the real problem of insane damage from attacks we might not see should actually be addressed.

At the very least, assuming Cryptic continues its policy of having NPC enemies be frustrating rather than challenging, high damage torpedo attacks should use targetable projectile graphics, even if they aren't actually targetable, so you at least know they're coming.

Last edited by haravikk; 03-14-2013 at 05:46 AM.
Lieutenant
# 25
03-14-2013, 06:52 AM
Just a little addition.

Some times i had 2 torpedo spreads of one unimatrixship in 10s in Hive. That one realy is a gamebreaker.
Seems like something with the cooldown is not right on the big tubes.
Ensign
# 26
03-14-2013, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by haravikk View Post
While that may explain the visual oddity, it still doesn't explain why a single, non-targetable torpedo from a borg gateway can kill most ships in a single hit.

At the very least it should fire in spreads or with high-yield like the unimatrix ships do, which partly solves any visual problem.

But even so, the damage values in general need to change; anything that can potentially be invisible, shouldn't be able to deal upwards of 50k damage in a single (apparently non-critical) hit. I can understand a high level borg ship dealing lots of sustained damage that will wreck you in a short time if it remains focused on you alone rather than spread between multiple targets; this would at least encourage proper tanking and healing, but currently it's just a random chance to die any time you're in range.

So yeah, while it's great to have an explanation of what the bug really is, I'd rather the real problem of insane damage from attacks we might not see should actually be addressed.

At the very least, assuming Cryptic continues its policy of having NPC enemies be frustrating rather than challenging, high damage torpedo attacks should use targetable projectile graphics, even if they aren't actually targetable, so you at least know they're coming.

Please, please listen to this person. They make absolute sense.
Career Officer
# 27
03-14-2013, 08:16 PM
So now that we all know what the problem with invisi-torps is, when can we expect a patch to fix it?
“The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it.” - Norman Schwarzkopf
Lieutenant
The entire torpedo mechanics is screwed up if that is how it works (read the previous 3 pages). Using my own romy torp launcher, it appears the heavy slow moving torps have their own range. While you travel the distance from 8 km out to 20 km away from the ship launching, the torp will still move. The 10 km range should be from the torpedo itself, they ARE tracking us after all... Not from the launching object after the missile is out and flying.
I see my own torpedoes follow the intended target even tho I'm 15 km away from it, the torpedo is not and thus it will keep following. That is how it -should- work anyway.

A torpedoes roll on hit, miss and/or dodged, shouldn't even be done until the graphical object collides with player ship. That's the very basic of any warfare 3D game.

But I must agree with everyone else that the invisible bodies must be adressed. STF's are not fun any more the way things are with instant deaths no matter what kind of tanka you are flying. Healing has been rendered utterly useless since no one can keep up with the immense damage output from Elite Borg. Borg damage is to high, healing effects are to low, Borg cooldowns are to low, players healing cooldowns way to long etc etc etc.
If there wa ever anything unbalanced in STO that needs to be fixed, it's definately the Elite STF borg. I also like a good challenge, but when you have the best possible defense consoles and maximum healing and still get one-shotted by invisible irratic sub-space nukclear charges teleported directly to your bridge and the Borg press their "I Win" button of uberness...

Game has lost it's one and only purpose: To entertain players.

I can promise you all in the dev department, that stuff is not even remotely close to entertaining, wich is also why I seldom play any more. And of course, Cryptic don't get any of my money either. They aint earned it by adding new bugs instead of fixing the bad ones already existing. Not to mention that lately, a lot of old bugs previously fixed has returned as well. From bad to worse.

Last edited by anelk2; 03-15-2013 at 02:21 PM. Reason: forgot to mention something...
Ensign
# 29
03-22-2013, 02:57 AM
Has there ever been a dev response to this?
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-22-2013, 03:09 AM
Invisible Torpedoes?? "Skippers??" Have the Borg crossed into the Wing Commander Universe and assimilated the Kilrathi now? LOL