Captain
# 91
03-11-2013, 05:09 PM
@ ambassadormolari - Heck. Yes! The back and forth in this piece was well done. I'm a little surprised, yet pleased, that Arkos is sympathetic but holding fast to his Federation training. In effect, that does make him a counterpart to the Telvenar. Oh and the brief glimpses into the Korda ... you, sir, have a LOT of 'splainin' to do in the future

I have to say though, the rules prohibit multiple posts, but if branflakes is ok with it, then so am I for this round

I'm still working on the the rest!
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Captain
# 92
03-11-2013, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrscarlet View Post
I'm still working on the the rest!

ten characters
Captain
# 93
03-11-2013, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrscarlet View Post
@ ambassadormolari - Heck. Yes! The back and forth in this piece was well done. I'm a little surprised, yet pleased, that Arkos is sympathetic but holding fast to his Federation training. In effect, that does make him a counterpart to the Telvenar. Oh and the brief glimpses into the Korda ... you, sir, have a LOT of 'splainin' to do in the future

I have to say though, the rules prohibit multiple posts, but if branflakes is ok with it, then so am I for this round

Ah. Never quite noticed that part of the rules, actually. But there's no reason why I can't leave it as is, as I think I ended it at a good spot. Plus, I can simply post the full story later in Ten Forward. Otherwise, glad you like it!

Also, regarding some of the stories I've had time to read so far:

superhombre: I demand that you write more stuff featuring ch'Raul. Seriously, though, that entire piece was a nice close up of that one character. I like the idea that the ship's counselor is, in many ways, the guy who is holding the ship together, in a manner of speaking.

sander233: I loved it! Even if it was just an "introduction of ship, captain and crew" piece, the way you constructed it was really well done. It felt in many ways like a tour for the reader in LaRoca's footsteps, and you managed to throw plenty of backstory in there without going overboard. I can't wait to see more.

shevet: A fantastic read! I appreciate that you wrote Tylha having to deal with local planetary politics in addition to having one of her officers incarcerated-- the varying attitudes of the Taserions towards the Federation came across quite well. And as others have pointed out, a murder mystery engages the reader by making them look for clues and put things together in their head, and in that respect your story succeeded. Well done!

Last edited by ambassadormolari; 03-11-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 94
03-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shevet View Post
Welp, mine's up. Loosely based on LC #22. I love a good murder mystery... shame I can't write one, really.!
Whatever...I enjoyed your entry (and I very rarely read mysteries). Here's a far-fetched idea...I noticed your spelling of words like "favourite" - is the idea of a non-relevant aristocracy political commentary on the current British system? Or am I reading into things too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
Am I right in thinking T'Prynn is the Enterprise-E's new counselor who called out Picard on his flaunting of regulations and being an egotist? I absolutely loved the idea of someone standing up to someone of Picard's stature, rather than simply accepting his decisions as automatically right
I don't remember who the new counselor is. T'Prynn is the <spoiler>lesbian intelligence officer who fell in love with an enemy spy and had no qualms about destroying people's careers or going outside the normal legal system to get things done</spoiler>. She first shows up in David Mack's Harbinger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
Was degree in psychology, by any chance?
Nope. I enrolled in one psychology class and dropped it after the first session. I just have a plethora of friends & family to observe and learn from.

I now have two goals for future "challenges:" write something cheery (wounded warriors was worthwhile but depressing) and include space combat. I'm also toying with the idea of one entry being an article from the Federation News Service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambassadormolari View Post
superhombre: I demand that you write more stuff featuring ch'Raul. Seriously, though, that entire piece was a nice close up of that one character. I like the idea that the ship's counselor is, in many ways, the guy who is holding the ship together, in a manner of speaking.
With pleasure.

Last edited by superhombre777; 03-11-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Career Officer
# 95
03-12-2013, 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambassadormolari View Post
sander233: I loved it! Even if it was just an "introduction of ship, captain and crew" piece, the way you constructed it was really well done. It felt in many ways like a tour for the reader in LaRoca's footsteps, and you managed to throw plenty of backstory in there without going overboard. I can't wait to see more.
Thank you very much! That's exactly the effect I was aiming for; I'm glad I was able to pull it off. (And you will definitely be seeing more...)
Captain
# 96
03-12-2013, 06:41 AM
Captain
# 97
03-12-2013, 08:12 AM
@ superhombre777 - Dagnabit, that was brilliant. I'm not sure what more I can say other than I feel like I am writing with champions of prose in these LCs. It's damn humbling.
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Captain
# 98
03-12-2013, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superhombre777 View Post
Whatever...I enjoyed your entry (and I very rarely read mysteries). Here's a far-fetched idea...I noticed your spelling of words like "favourite" - is the idea of a non-relevant aristocracy political commentary on the current British system? Or am I reading into things too much?
Err... I just spell it like that 'cause I'm British! "Theatre", too, you might have noticed.
Captain
# 99
03-12-2013, 10:24 AM
In the US, you tend to see both spellings for "theater." You get "theatre" in cases when someone wants the venue to seem high-class.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)

Sig by gulberat. Avatar credit to balsavor.deviantart.com
Captain
# 100
03-12-2013, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superhombre777 View Post
I don't remember who the new counselor is. T'Prynn is the <spoiler>lesbian intelligence officer who fell in love with an enemy spy and had no qualms about destroying people's careers or going outside the normal legal system to get things done</spoiler>. She first shows up in David Mack's Harbinger.
Ahh, I think I know who you mean now, Elias Vaughn named his daughter after her... I was thinking of Counselor T'Lana