# 261
03-28-2013, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
OMG Azera lives! :wub: :wub:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
Oh, yeah. I'd assimilate that. :-P
And I thought Kirk was all she'd have to worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
While investigating the ruins of a Preserver Temple, Azera is exposed to an energy discharge which causes her cells biological age to begin to catch up to her chronological age... Of course, the crew manage to arrest the process and return her aging to a normal rate, but only after she has aged a decade and change... ;-)
That does sound exactly like the sort of crazy TOS-style plots our crews might get into.

Quote:
Once I decided that she was indeed going to be a legitimately assimilated officer, not just a ruse, I wanted her personality to be as opposite to the Borg Queen's as possible. Of course, the neural restructuring and knowledge of the Collective is going to be reflected, somewhat like a joined Trill, as opposed to when McCoy held Spock's katra, and Spock was essentially 'pulling the strings' at times, but for the most, I wanted her character to be very different to that predatory magnetism which the Borg Queen possesses, even if that is the first thing anyone would see when they look at her...
I could see that making for some fun story moments in places like Club 47 or Starfleet Academy.

Quote:
I was sort of going for that classic Plane-Crash/Lost-at-Sea-survival-movie clich?. You have the one character nobody really likes at first, then he starts to grow on you, then he dies.
Oh, it absolutely worked too. Also, I'm ashamed to say it took a second read to notice Watterson the fuzzy animal, plus Cal, short for Calvin, and put the pieces together. As a Calvin & Hobbes fan, I salute the I.K.S. Norgh'a'Qun all the more! Plus, the song quoted would work very, very well as a soundtrack for this story as an episode...

Two more stories read!

@takeshi6: Something gives me the feeling an ambitious emperor in the Mirror Universe named Lelouch could be a very, very bad thing. Very nice dialogue, I like the story's perspective within his thoughts, and a complex political power struggle in the MU could be very fun to read, especially if it spills over into the prime universe and its version of the character.

@sanders233: So the good news is that religion apparently is alive and well in the 25th century! The bad news is that it's helping some people brush aside things that maybe they shouldn't be brushing aside so fast. Very good, and bleak, look at wartime morality and, as gulberat pointed out, the hollowness of the forgiveness Jesu seeks and how he obtains it...

Last edited by sparklysoldier; 03-28-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Rihannsu
# 262
03-28-2013, 06:43 PM
@sander

Thanks! I was going for something a little different when I wrote the battle scenes, by describing them from a spectator's perspective rather than from the bridge. Glad it worked well!

@marcus

Glad you liked them! And with regard to Bryan's parents, that is definitely something I'll be exploring in the future

Now that that's out of the way, time to get started on (technically ) my fourth!
Vice Admiral Bryan Mitchel Valot
Commanding officer: Odyssey class U.S.S. Athena
Admiral of the 1st Assault Fleet
Captain
# 263
03-28-2013, 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklysoldier View Post
@sanders233: So the good news is that religion apparently is alive and well in the 25th century! The bad news is that it's helping some people brush aside things that maybe they shouldn't be brushing aside so fast. Very good, and bleak, look at wartime morality and, as gulberat pointed out, the hollowness of the forgiveness Jesu seeks and how he obtains it...
I don't know about sanders, but in my writing religion is not in a healthy state on Earth, unfortunately. However, there is still a minority who does practice. For example, it was not originally intended that Alyosha be raised in any sort of religion. He asked some tough questions about things he experienced, and had done, though--and those answers ended up leading him to the church.

I wonder how sander sees it?
Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)

Sig by gulberat. Avatar credit to balsavor.deviantart.com
Career Officer
# 264
03-28-2013, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
I don't know about sanders, but in my writing religion is not in a healthy state on Earth, unfortunately. However, there is still a minority who does practice. For example, it was not originally intended that Alyosha be raised in any sort of religion. He asked some tough questions about things he experienced, and had done, though--and those answers ended up leading him to the church.

I wonder how sander sees it?
My view is very similar.

I see Earth in the 24th/25th Century as basically being John Lennon's song "Imagine" come true, which in my mind makes for a very dull existence. (Fortunately the rest of the Federation and the galaxy at large has a bit more spice.)

Jesu was born into a long line of lapse Catholics - the sort who only attend church on holidays and family events (weddings, infant dedications and funerals.) They look forward to Carnivale - but Lent, not so much.

But its the only religious tradition Jesu has to fall back on when feels the need to unburden himself on a higher power. And even so he's so embarrassed to walk into a church that he has to create this holodeck fantasy and an alternate persona before he can bring himself to his knees.

"Freedom is just a pretty idea unless it's backed by Force."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Career Officer
# 265
03-28-2013, 07:50 PM
@ambassadormolari:

Yay! Space pirates!

Terrific introduction to Lynathru. Wonderful descriptions of the Orion culture and their difficulties integrating with the Klingon Empire. Some of your senior officers seemed a bit stereotyped but I'm sure they'll be developed further down the line (Letheans give me the creeps too.)

I am eagerly anticipating many exciting piratical tales of swashbuckling adventure.

"Freedom is just a pretty idea unless it's backed by Force."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Commander
# 266
03-28-2013, 08:04 PM
Quote:
@ambassadormolari:

Yay! Space pirates!

Terrific introduction to Lynathru. Wonderful descriptions of the Orion culture and their difficulties integrating with the Klingon Empire. Some of your senior officers seemed a bit stereotyped but I'm sure they'll be developed further down the line (Letheans give me the creeps too.)

I am eagerly anticipating many exciting piratical tales of swashbuckling adventure.

Why thank you, although at this point it will become a real choice of whether to focus my LC entries on Arkos or Lynrathu, especially since I have quite a few interesting story ideas for both.

As to the Notqa's BOFFs being stereotypical...true enough, but bear in mind that they're also being seen from the perspective of a very biased Captain. Just be thankful that I didn't include any Nausicaans on the bridge crew, THEN you would have seen a stereotype.
Captain
# 267
03-29-2013, 09:49 AM
Aaand my third is up. I'm done for this round

SO ...

@ sander233 - A music lyric intro? YOINK for future LC Although non-Fed took a little geting used to, I really liked it and was connected to the characters plight the whole way through. That's going to be a tough one to follow-up for me.

@ sparklysoldier - I've expressed my opinion on this privately, but let me just add to the chorus: damn. it. awesome It's "Deus Ex Machina" God from the Machine?

@ pompouluss - There is a lot more going on here and I'm looking forward to learning how Sasup got into the situation she is getting out of.

@ ironphoenix113 - Two back-to-back Very well done and answered some ends. I too am looking for more concerning the relationship with Bryan's mother (unless you have decided it's a closed arc).

Now I have to go back and catch up on others. This has been a good month!
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Lt. Commander
# 268
03-29-2013, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrscarlet View Post
@ sparklysoldier - I've expressed my opinion on this privately, but let me just add to the chorus: damn. it. awesome It's "Deus Ex Machina" God from the Machine?
Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it! And d'oh... it's fixed now!
Captain
# 269
03-29-2013, 03:58 PM
Quote:
And I thought Kirk was all she'd have to worry about
Marcus always had an eye for the laydeez I'm sure that even from beyond the veil, he would keep an eye on a few favorites

Quote:
That does sound exactly like the sort of crazy TOS-style plots our crews might get into.
It does... It would certainly allow for the use of SMG ^_^

Quote:
I could see that making for some fun story moments in places like Club 47 or Starfleet Academy.
It'll be interesting to see where future LCs take her ^_^
Captain
# 270
03-29-2013, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambassadormolari View Post
Why thank you, although at this point it will become a real choice of whether to focus my LC entries on Arkos or Lynrathu, especially since I have quite a few interesting story ideas for both.

As to the Notqa's BOFFs being stereotypical...true enough, but bear in mind that they're also being seen from the perspective of a very biased Captain. Just be thankful that I didn't include any Nausicaans on the bridge crew, THEN you would have seen a stereotype.
Fantastic entry, I really liked Khe'Rath, I hope she will somehow make future appearances