Captain
# 311
04-02-2013, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
Wow, I don't think I could sustain a weekly rate. The current rate pushes me hard as it is!

Will read your entry and respond to your comments tonight.
I'll look forward to your feedback as always, and hope you'll enjoy the insights into Pentaxian culture
Captain
# 312
04-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambassadormolari View Post
Quite the contrary, I felt that scene captured the traumatic moment perfectly, and it was a much-needed counterpoint to the idyllic family life that you'd written for Marcus.
Fantastic, I'm glad that it came across as intended I like to try and be challenging in my writing, but never intend to offend I really wanted to highlight that even in the 24th Century, freak accidents still occur...

Quote:
Between genetic engineering and near-apocalyptic thalaron disasters, its a wonder Adigeon isn't avoided altogether.
I think those reasons are the very reason why Adigeon Prime is not a prime tourist location, and a place people only go with shady intentions

Quote:
Although the impression I got was that the thalaron radiation was also partially responsible for Marcus' immortal "condition."
Ahh, no, Marcus immortality was an entirely naturally inherited condition. The Doctor recognized the genetic sequence within him, but was unable to comment on it more than his pause and assurance of a long life. Had Alix been allowed to develop as Alexander, he would also have had the genetic sequence to become immortal upon death, but the swapping of the chromosomes disturbed the sequence enough that it was only her consciousness which survived the death of her body.

Quote:
What can I say, quirky science officers are fun to write.
Very much so I hope I'll be able to revisit Rebecca at some point in the future, she was a pleasure to write ^_^
Captain
# 313
04-02-2013, 10:43 AM
So my first thought about the Pentaxians was...did the Federation want some sort of resource from their world? I am somewhat surprised they met the admission requirements for the UFP, given that they had caste-based discrimination (that would've gotten Bajor excluded).

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
Delta Rising: Reanimate? (Y/N) Review Series COMPLETE!
Proudly F2P. Sig by gulberat. Avatar by balsavor.deviantart.com
Rihannsu
# 314
04-02-2013, 10:50 AM
Quote:
So my first thought about the Pentaxians was...did the Federation want some sort of resource from their world? I am somewhat surprised they met the admission requirements for the UFP, given that they had caste-based discrimination (that would've gotten Bajor excluded).
If my memory serves correctly, didn't the Federation relax the requirments to be officially admitted in light of the Dominion War? If so, then it would be possible to explain it as the relaxed restrictions were still in effect/voted back in due to the Klingon war.
Vice Admiral Bryan Mitchel Valot
Commanding officer: Odyssey class U.S.S. Athena
Admiral of the 1st Assault Fleet
Captain
# 315
04-02-2013, 11:01 AM
Quote:
They also practice Augment-type genetic engineering to create the elite shock troops of the militia (but also allow for eggs to be fertilized with their own DNA as an infertility treatment)

As IronPhoenix pointed out, the Federation relaxed entry requirements considerably during and after the Dominion war. However, Pentaxia is only a provisional member, rather than fully integrated, and maintains its Dynasty, hence another reason for I'sH'd perceiving his assignment to the Valkyrie as a slight (to be assigned among the infidels*) when in truth, the only assignment more prestigious, would have been part of the Empress' personal guard, and he's just too bitter to see it

*Pentaxians aren't a religious people, but that's the closest comparison I can think of to how they tend to view other species. Maybe not 'racist', per se, but certainly very 'insular'... Ch'K'rr is very much a political radical, hence the assassination attempts on her prior to her coronation...

Last edited by marcusdkane; 04-02-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Captain
# 316
04-02-2013, 11:25 AM
Ok, so I've read some:

@ sander223 - PIRATES IN SPACE ... well not really. This was a great way to show LaRoca's "haven" - I wish I thought of that

@ ambassadormolari - Thank you for the view on Orion's culture! I also enjoyed the expression of someone receiving command of a vessel they don't like - even though they want command of a ship. I mean, I look at the snow-globe science vessel and wonder "who the hell would want to use one of those?!", only to see them in use online ... In my opinion, the Oberth class should be Tier 2 ... but that's another discussion.

I do have a question related to several of these LCs ... where do you find all the details on various cultures? I look at STO Wiki and Memory Alpha but some details are not described that I'm reading here. Are you making stuff up? Is it from a source I can'r access easily like a book or specific episode? I'm thinking I could expand my story telling if I knew a little more about these fictional cultures.
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Rihannsu
# 317
04-02-2013, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrscarlet View Post
I do have a question related to several of these LCs ... where do you find all the details on various cultures? I look at STO Wiki and Memory Alpha but some details are not described that I'm reading here. Are you making stuff up? Is it from a source I can'r access easily like a book or specific episode? I'm thinking I could expand my story telling if I knew a little more about these fictional cultures.
What I do when I don't know something for sure, I look it up on Memory Alpha (really relied heavily on that as a source for my Lone Drone entry ). Failing that, I'll look up examples of what type of behavior I'm looking for in episode clips on Youtube. If that doesn't work, asking here never hurts .
Vice Admiral Bryan Mitchel Valot
Commanding officer: Odyssey class U.S.S. Athena
Admiral of the 1st Assault Fleet
Captain
# 318
04-02-2013, 11:45 AM
Quote:
For me, it's Memory Alpha, Bing/Google, and what I remember from episodes For the stuff on Pentaxian culture, I just, I guess I could only call it 'meditating', and it just comes through

Awesome new sig Although last time I checked, wasn't the Hiketia a Nova-Class vessel? What's the new version? It looks awesome
Captain
# 319
04-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Hmm. Memory Alpha seems to be "the source". Although, I guess I could ask here first before I have to make corrections. So, I've got to try ship combat and details on another culture for posterity ... the challenges are growing

@marcus - Thank you It's a Luna-class science vessel. In-game, I'm trying to build a true support vessel that I like to look at without spending money on the Zen Store. The Mirror Deep Space Vessel (without Terran Empire camo) fits the bill for me. I'm stuck on the name and since I have not used this role in my LCs then I do not consider it a "change in command" like the Arcadia will be ... but thats for LC 21 "Saying Hello". At the same time, I am in a trial phase for the Sovereign class as my main solo-play ship. I love the Excelsior Refit but the Officer layout bothers me AND the Aegis set goesn't look as good on the Excelsior (to me) - AND it'll cost me $20 to own the Excelsior Refit ... the Sovereign was "free". Still, it's my solo play and if I have to spend money to have fun then I'll do it.
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene

Last edited by cmdrscarlet; 04-02-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Captain
# 320
04-02-2013, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Hmm. Memory Alpha seems to be "the source". Although, I guess I could ask here first before I have to make corrections. So, I've got to try ship combat and details on another culture for posterity ... the challenges are growing
I try and avoid Beta, simply because it's only soft-canon, so subject to change, but Alpha is definitely good for information ^_^ And as for challenges... #41 coming soon, that's why I decided to sneak in the fourth challenge just before ^_^

Quote:
Thank you It's a Luna-class science vessel.
Ahh, I feel like a chump for not recognizing it now Very cool looking ships

Quote:
In-game, I'm trying to build a true support vessel that I like to look at without spending money on the Zen Store. The Mirror Deep Space Vessel (without Terran Empire camo) fits the bill for me. I'm stuck on the name and since I have not used this role in my LCs then I do not consider it a "change in command" like the Arcadia will be ... but thats for LC 21 "Saying Hello". At the same time, I am in a trial phase for the Sovereign class as my main solo-play ship. I love the Excelsior Refit but the Officer layout bothers me AND the Aegis set goesn't look as good on the Excelsior (to me) - AND it'll cost me $20 to own the Excelsior Refit ... the Sovereign was "free". Still, it's my solo play and if I have to spend money to have fun then I'll do it.
I expect there's a fair bit of cross-over between ship classes, and variants. And if it's free, well, the price is definitely right ^_^ I really need to get my pc working so I can actually play the game >_<