Commander
# 61
03-08-2013, 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
Just read it. And frankly, I found myself much more sympathetic to the Telvenar than to Arkos. I'm not exactly convinced Arkos made his decision based on Starfleet regs...I think deep down he enjoyed the thought of the Chastised getting crushed. That, and I think he didn't like the (true) accusation thrown at him, either.

Please tell me he didn't plan to/hasn't already planned to space his double.
Thankfully, Arkos isn't that cold-hearted. More is going to be revealed about his beef with his double in consecutive posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfmudd View Post
ambassadormolari:
While I haven't read your story yet, I can tell you that the ? issue is a result of your word processor using fancy characters rather than plain text. One common example, if not THE most common, is open-and-close quotes, or apostrophes, rather than simple " and '. Hyphens and ellipses are also common substitutions, as you note.

My advice is to save a copy of your document as Plain Text (ASCII DOS Text or some similar option), copy and paste that text into the post window, and then manually add markup (italics, bold, etc) to match what's in your original story before pushing the Reply button.
I'll try writing it out in Plain Text, then, and see if it makes any difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironphoenix113 View Post
@ambassadormolari

Sounds like your Captain and his First officer are going to have a bit of a rough spot in the coming days. Great work, and I can't wait to read what you write for the next LC.
This particular story isn't even done yet. I'm going to try to condense the rest of it into 1-2 successive posts. For the sake of brevity and me having to make fewer corrections, I'll try to make my stories a bit more condensed in future.
Captain
# 62
03-08-2013, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambassadormolari View Post
Yeah, having to go over every single quotation mark, elipsis and hyphen during posting is quite annoying. Is it due to a difference in font, I wonder? If I reset my word processor to the same one used by the forum, would I not have this problem?

Glad you like it so far. Post #2 is up.
Equally nicely written :good: I kind of agree with GulBerat about Arkos coming across as less than sympathetic, but to be honest, I understood his logistical decision, and it was good to see a Starfleet Captain being pushed beyond his comfort zone. Of course, he had given K'Nera permission to speak freely, so him then turning on her was a good sign of how unsettled the events had left him

Last edited by marcusdkane; 03-08-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Captain
# 63
03-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironphoenix113 View Post
@marcus

Very well done! About the only thing is that, though I did see your explanation for K'm'Rn's name being Anglicized, I personally would have tried to include that type of explanation in my story. Not huge, just some food for thought based on personal taste
Thanks I'd wanted to make reference to why K'm'rn's name was Anglicized from the Pentaxian, it just always seemed that to put the phonetics in the piece as well might have been over emphasizing something, given how almost everyone simply refers to her as either Cameron, or Doctor Kane (she's an MD) so I just thought I'd add it as an additional FYI note, rather than included
Captain
# 64
03-08-2013, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
Equally nicely written :good: I kind of agree with GulBerat about Arkos coming across as less than sympathetic, but to be honest, I understood his logistical decision, and it was good to see a Starfleet Captain being pushed beyond his comfort zone. Of course, he had given K'Nera permission to speak freely, so him then turning on her was a good sign of how unsettled the events had left him
Just to be clear, it wasn't the logistics I had a beef with, because I realize that there is simply no way for Starfleet to send a fleet into the Mirror Universe under any circumstances. My problem was with what seemed like the inappropriate motivation for the decision--that the rules were simply being used as a cover to exercise his personal hatred.

I am very glad to know that Arkos will not be spacing or otherwise torturing his counterpart. That makes me feel better about the possibility of reading on.
Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)

Sig by gulberat. Avatar credit to balsavor.deviantart.com
Career Officer
# 65
03-08-2013, 11:25 PM
cmdrscarlet: Great story! I love the understated quality to Kathryn's description of her battle. You really get the sense that she's holding back a lot of emotions there. I can easily visualize her in the shuttlebay as the ship burns around her, looking around in that last regretful moment, her eyes fixing on the carpet... very good stuff!

Jonsills: Great characters, great ship descriptions, hilarious ending. I LOL'd. Thanks!

xr377: The misadventures of Amanda Barclay never cease to amuse me.

marcusdkane: I'm still reading through past literary challenges and I've only read five of your stories so far, but you are clearly a master of characterization. The depth and complexity you give to Marcus and Selek and their families is truly awe-inspiring. Thank you for sharing them with us (and for expanding my Vulcan vocabulary ) and keep up the good work!

takeshi6: Very interesting glimpse into the other side of the mirror!

knightraider: It takes a very clever mind to construct a dialogue between Q and Q and have it make any sense. Well done! :thumbsup:

ironphoenix: Wonderful ship descriptions! You're story has been a literal inspiration. (I've decided to jump into the game with a short story of my own. I didn't know what topic to pick but you've helped me make up my mind.)

ambassadormolari: Wow. Just, WOW! What a rich and compelling character your Captain Arkos is! I can't wait to read more of him! To combine the loneliness inherent in command, with being one of only five of his species to leave his homeworld, and on top of that the spiritual and emotional distance he has imposed on himself from the rest of his race... That is one fascinating personality to explore, and you seem more than up to the challenge!

"Freedom is just a pretty idea unless it's backed by Force."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Rihannsu
# 66
03-09-2013, 05:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
ironphoenix: Wonderful ship descriptions! You're story has been a literal inspiration. (I've decided to jump into the game with a short story of my own. I didn't know what topic to pick but you've helped me make up my mind.)

Thanks! Glad to know that I was an inspiration for someone! I can't wait to see what you write!
Vice Admiral Bryan Mitchel Valot
Commanding officer: Odyssey class U.S.S. Athena
Admiral of the 1st Assault Fleet
Captain
# 67
03-09-2013, 06:12 AM
Quote:
marcusdkane: I'm still reading through past literary challenges and I've only read five of your stories so far, but you are clearly a master of characterization. The depth and complexity you give to Marcus and Selek and their families is truly awe-inspiring. Thank you for sharing them with us (and for expanding my Vulcan vocabulary ) and keep up the good work!
Thank you very much With Marcus and Selek, I wanted to capture the notion that they were not merely best friends, but truly considered themselves brothers, and that Marcus was viewed as another member of Selek's family (which I hoped to further explore in last night's piece). With T'Marc, I wanted to explore a logical take on an illogical intolerance, but also wanted to convey the kind of emotions that any wife would feel about realizing such a truth about her husband, and thought that to filter them though the perceptions of a Vulcan woman would be interesting, I hope that her character was as strong as her father and uncle

[Edit to add]
With regards the Vulcan language, I have to admit that I had a second tab open with the Vulcan-English dictionary open all the time I was writing ^_^ As mentioned above, I wanted to convey emotions, relationships and perceptions which simply would not have read as I intended them to feel, in English

Last edited by marcusdkane; 03-09-2013 at 06:21 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 68
03-09-2013, 07:11 AM
Quote:
takeshi6: Very interesting glimpse into the other side of the mirror!
Thank you very much. I'm glad that so many people are liking how I introduced Mirror Lelouch.

In case people are wondering, I already introduced Mirror Takeshi back when LC5 first came out, long before the Account Mergers. It took a few tries to figure out something that the admins at the time considered "appropriate content", but I got it eventually.
Originally KiraYamato before the Account Linking - True Join Date August 2008

"In the game of war, there are no clear rules you can follow." - Andrew Waltfeld
Lt. Commander
# 69
03-09-2013, 01:34 PM
My entry contains two short stories, both loosely tied to LC 26, Senior Officers. Instead of writing biographies, I wrote scenarios to reveal an officer's character.

Part 1 is a re-write of my original LC 26 entry. For LC 39 I noted that the counselor spent some time working with injured Jem'Hadar. I wanted to expand on that concept and deal with the issue of wounded soldiers. The counselor's name also changed from sh'Raul to ch'Raul because I learned that "ch" and "th" are the roughly male prefixes for Andorians. I didn't want to talk about how my male Andorian officer had a female name. (Andorian parents don't name their male sons the equivalent of Leslie. Sorry.)

Part 2, Dating Advice, deals with chief engineer Jarvis and his overwhelming desire to fix everything, including people.
Lt. Commander
# 70
03-09-2013, 01:55 PM
cmdrscarlet - that was short but sweet.

jonsills- that was very entertaining. Good job. It makes sense that not everybody gets a fancy new vessel. I wonder if captains get stuck with sub-par officers also in the haste to launch ships...probably. Maybe I'll add one to my crew.