Captain
# 11
03-06-2013, 09:19 AM
Cryptic never raised the level cap above 50 on CoX either. Just because other MMOs increase the level cap does not necessitate that all MMOs increase the level cap.
Captain
# 12
03-06-2013, 09:20 AM
To be honest, the only thing a level cap increase tends to do, in terms of MMO systems, is devalue end-game gear from the previous cap, so people are forced to buy new stuff. That, and, generally, reduce the previous end-game content to the trashcan/oblivion (I think I don't need to point out the undesirability of that for STO).

Considering that lower level stuff scales in difficulty, it would make zero difference for your gameplay experience, otherwise. So, instead, like most people have already pointed out, let's just see content added, without the hassle of changes to the system. In the rep system they already have the option of adding powers and gear.

People progressed in rep systems, got stronger (anyone remember the storm of fury over the shield regen passive?), got gear and unlocked story elements in the case of the Romulan track. What advantage would be had from a level cap increase, except for the visual change of seeing 60 instead of 50?

*shrug*

I'm going with "expansion good, level cap increase completely irrelevant and redundant".
Empire Veteran
# 13
03-06-2013, 09:23 AM
Level cap increase doesn't always mean a good thing. I much rather have different ways of training our captains.
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post13990891
Career Officer
# 14
03-06-2013, 09:28 AM
Unlike other MMOs, the "level" is tied into a rigid rank system. So, unlike other MMO's, it is not as simple as simply raising the level cap. Eventually you either have to rework the lower ranks so there are more XP points between them (which Cryptic already did the opposite of to encourage faster leveling), something that might knock back current VA's to Captain or Commander, or you have to just make level cap increases untied to rank, so once you hit full Admiral or "Fleet Admiral" or whatever they want to call it, you can keep on gaining XP, just not rank.

Personally though, I prefer Cryptic's current strategy, which is the reputation system, even though I think reputation should be automatically determined by the amount of total experience you gain playing the missions rather than by the silly reputation grind.

I have only played one other MMO, but my general feeling is that level cap increases are just a way to sell more expansions.

Personally, I would be fine if they never increase the level cap so long as there are other, more Trek-related things to work for in the game.
Career Officer
# 15
03-06-2013, 09:35 AM
I always found level to be very arbitrary a thing anyway. The only point of a level cap increase would be to insert some fancy new feature which would be impractical to justify in the status quo, such as commanding a small fleet of ships in space. I believe this is one of the goals they have said is something they would like to see.

As an aside though we have actually had a level cap Decrease as we used to get upto 51, the numbers just got tweaked to bring 50 in line.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Neriz --- Eleven --- S'alesh --- Nizalay and maybe the odd Fed char too.
Defecting from the Federation to the Romulans from May 21st
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-06-2013, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twam View Post
To be honest, the only thing a level cap increase tends to do, in terms of MMO systems, is devalue end-game gear from the previous cap, so people are forced to buy new stuff. That, and, generally, reduce the previous end-game content to the trashcan/oblivion (I think I don't need to point out the undesirability of that for STO).

Considering that lower level stuff scales in difficulty, it would make zero difference for your gameplay experience, otherwise. So, instead, like most people have already pointed out, let's just see content added, without the hassle of changes to the system. In the rep system they already have the option of adding powers and gear.

People progressed in rep systems, got stronger (anyone remember the storm of fury over the shield regen passive?), got gear and unlocked story elements in the case of the Romulan track. What advantage would be had from a level cap increase, except for the visual change of seeing 60 instead of 50?

*shrug*

I'm going with "expansion good, level cap increase completely irrelevant and redundant".
Well...not to pee in your Cheerios or anything but once you get to end game IMO it's all about the gear and nothing else....but then again most games I played invoked PvP at max level in a much more prolific way so there was always that to shoot for instead of PvE'ing all day. I think they really could have stretched out the 'Captain' rank more. People seem to like it at that rank and it befits a 'Starship Captain' more than flying around as a VA does. Takes almost no time at all to skirt right through Captain rank to RA.
____

The o3 - Killed you good
Community Moderator
# 17
03-06-2013, 09:52 AM
Raising the level cap has to be done very carefully in a game where gear is tied to level and there's a lot of paid gear in that condition. If you just invalidate hundreds of dollars worth of purchases in an instant, you have to be darn sure you're getting a benefit to offset what that does to your customers.

I suspect the level cap will stay where it is until they've got systems ready to allow us to use those ships at the higher levels effectively; which is, of course, possible, it's just a lot of work.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Rihannsu
# 18
03-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Perhaps when and if they do it, maybe it will be a good time to rework the whole thing, so the max rank is captain, but the different admiral ranks are more like titles or like a rep system reward/unlock.

people have complained for a long time about not wanting to be admirals and that it does not fit. so perhaps a way to be a captain with the option to make yourself an admiral through some other means would be a good way to go.

any future level increase is tied more into unlocking new costumes, new titles, new minor powers etc so the old stuff does not become too weak and outdated?

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Lieutenant
# 19
03-06-2013, 10:00 AM
They have already announced there will be a level cap increase in one of the two up coming season updates
" I believe that I speak for us all sir when I say: To hell with our orders." - Lt. Cmdr. Data
Career Officer
# 20
03-06-2013, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by startrekker22 View Post
They have already announced there will be a level cap increase in one of the two up coming season updates
Cryptic says a lot of things. That doesn't necessarily make anything they say true.

No need for a level cap increase IMO. Let's come up with a lot more content first.
Captain Kirk is climbing a mountain. Why is he climbing a mountain? Is he learning to fly?