Empire Veteran
So yesterday, I stumbled upon this website, and if the sizes are shown correctly in the carts then it seems that we don't have correct sizes in the game. Here is the link:

http://www.st-minutiae.com/misc/comparison/

See the chart 3

It seems that Dominion Dreadnought is way bigger than Deep Space 9 (4500 meters (approx) vs 1452 meters). The galor class looks like a child.

Then see the borg cube (what is this assimilation cube?), and this cube is larger than the tactical cube. (makes sense as tactical cube needs to be more...fast mover?)

Then see chart 4. The V'Ger is...hugeeeeee. Imagine it as a lockbox ship

Offtopic: The size of ships in warhammer 40k made me laugh...how the hell do they fly those ships?
Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

Last edited by notapwefan; 03-07-2013 at 01:59 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-07-2013, 02:01 AM
Thankfully, there's some really good precedence to fall back on here: Star Trek TV and movies themselves get scale wrong constantly, or play fast and loose with scale for dramatic effect. It's almost comical on occasion.

For instance, the Enterprise swooping in front of the Defiant in First Contact is a great example. Going by that shot alone, an untrained observer might assume the Enterprise to be the size of a small moon (or an Imperial battlestation) while the Defiant approximates a small European towncar.

Let's not even get into how many decks the Enterprise supposedly had in Final Frontier. You can all thank The Shat for that one.

For STO, playability replaces dramatic effect. This is why the Dominion Dreadnought is the size it is and also one reason why we'll never see the Enterprise-J and other impossibly large ships. Unfortunately, this also means DS9 will never ever look exactly right...
---
Relax.

Last edited by delsaberedux; 03-07-2013 at 02:04 AM.
Rihannsu
# 3
03-07-2013, 02:01 AM
The problem is that a lot of the ship size data is never mention on screen, so they have either guessed the info or taken it from some off screen source, or the fx just randomly changes from episode to episode

the jem'hadar dreadnought for example is meant to be about 2-3 times as large as a galaxy as mentioned in valiant which puts it around 1500 metres. for the final episode the fx team made it even larger than that which is the one shown on the chart. so we fly the smaller version.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Empire Veteran
# 4
03-07-2013, 02:13 AM
yep, current gaming limitations. Perhaps we might see proper sizes in far far future
Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

Starfleet Veteran
# 5
03-07-2013, 06:50 AM
Even the people who made the bloody ships can't always agree on what sizes they are; the Ambassador-class is one such example.
---------------------------------------------------
U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-91771 - Nebula-class
Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
Dedication Plaque: "Leave nothing unattempted" - James Cook
Captain
# 6
03-07-2013, 07:28 AM
Even if no one will truly agree on the ship sizes, there are a lot of universally accepted portrayals. Also, just because the player ships are all roughly made to be out similar sizes, doesn't mean they aren't willing to pull "dramatic" BS all the time. Just look at DS9 and K7.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg
Ensign
# 7
03-07-2013, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by notapwefan View Post
Offtopic: The size of ships in warhammer 40k made me laugh...how the hell do they fly those ships?
By using the blood of their enemies, of course.
Career Officer
# 8
03-07-2013, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by notapwefan View Post
Considering they somethimes use chains to turn their guns my guess would be STAEM!
Lieutenant
# 9
03-07-2013, 09:56 AM
Scale as been one of my gripes since beta. Look at the size of a shuttle compares to a Defiant or Saber.

I'm not a computer programmer but is it a huge problem to alter the sizes slightly.
Career Officer
# 10
03-07-2013, 10:02 AM
Some of those scales are outright made up, for example the Stargate Aurora class is way, way oversized over what's seen on screen.