03-07-2013, 10:56 AM
Hello everyone.

I would like to share with you another suggestion:

Select-able alert conditions.

Green Alert

Yellow Alert

Red Alert

BATTLE STATIONS!

The above would be good way to allow an implementation of diplomatic missions or diplomacy sensitive NPCs' , like the the awesome game of Starfleet Academy. (EG You could not just go to Red alert when you were near sensitive people)

Also people, there is a difference between red alert and battle stations.
Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
Rihannsu
# 2
03-07-2013, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpingjs View Post
<snipped>
Also people, there is a difference between red alert and battle stations.
There is a difference? Funny that, on the ships that I served on, "Red Alert" was the equivalent of "General Quarters" which was a call TO BATTLE STATIONS because the ship was being threatened enough to warrant the "General Quarters".

Otherwise nice idea!
Career Officer
# 3
03-07-2013, 11:16 AM
Yes, Red Alert is Star Treks "General Quarters" action, when all systems are online and all crew members are at their assigned posts.

Battle Stations is a further status in Red Alert, when you know you are going into Battle and all crew members are given weapons in preparation to counter possible Boarding Parties.

BTW, you forgot Double Red Alert, Blue Alert, and Gray Mode.
Rihannsu
# 4
03-07-2013, 12:53 PM
In STO, Red Alert is a debuff designed to keep players from easily escaping battle by disabling full impulse, cloak, etc. Nobody would willingly use it.
Rihannsu
# 5
03-07-2013, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpangel View Post
In STO, Red Alert is a debuff designed to keep players from easily escaping battle by disabling full impulse, cloak, etc. Nobody would willingly use it.
And if it was tied into and enabled all of your offensive weaponry and abilities? Would you still not willingly use it?
Rihannsu
# 6
03-07-2013, 01:25 PM
I think the devs stated way back that all ships are permanently considered at red alert status due to it being a time of war which is why those status settings aren't in the game.
Rihannsu
# 7
03-07-2013, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
Yes, Red Alert is Star Treks "General Quarters" action, when all systems are online and all crew members are at their assigned posts.

Battle Stations is a further status in Red Alert, when you know you are going into Battle and all crew members are given weapons in preparation to counter possible Boarding Parties.

BTW, you forgot Double Red Alert, Blue Alert, and Gray Mode.
Let me guess, you've never served aboard a naval vessel?

Listen carefully to the following dialogue as it plays in your head:

<with the voice of Riker> - <computer activates klaxon and sets off red colored warning lights> "Red Alert, all hands to battle stations"

<Bosun or QM making a pipe over the 1MC> - <Bosun or QM activates the GQ klaxon alarm> "General Quarters, all hands man your battle stations"

Red Alert/General Quarters is where every member of a ships crew goes to their assigned battle station in preparation for threats or emergencies which includes going into battle. Once there, muster is held to confirm readiness and readiness reports are made up to the bridge so that the Captain of the vessel knows that his ship is prepared to face a threat.

BTW, I actually enjoyed pulling that klaxon alarm handle and making that pipe over the 1MC (1 way main communications system). And then putting on my lifebelt and helmet as I made the ships log entries.
Captain
# 8
03-07-2013, 02:00 PM
In theory (I read this in a manual somewhere):

Condition Green / Regular daily workings:
Everything goes as usual
  • Usual rotations
  • Level 3 diagnostics running at scheduled intervals
  • Weapons and shields are turned off, and buffers are cleared.

Yellow alert:
  • One of the senior officers (Captain, 1'st and 2'nd officer) are at the bridge at all times.
  • Level 1 diagnostics running at all times.
  • Crew is on hard-enforced rotation (meaning no flexibility).
  • Shields are enabled and raised.
  • Weapons buffers are charged, but not active, Torpedoes are armed (set to standby mode, and loaded with antimatter).
  • Sickbay and humanitarian facilities are being prepared for casualties and triage.

Red Alert:
  • Same as Yellow Alert, however:
  • Weapons are fully armed and ready to fire.
  • Captain is expected to be on the bridge
  • Security teams are on combat alert
  • Active crew will often be armed.

Condition Blue:
Special occations, such as planetary landings and seperation sequences (clearly not put into effect untill after TNG).

As you can see, STO wise, only Green and Red alert make sense... Either you are in battle, or you are not.

Other games implemented it quite well though. Take a look at Starfleet academy for example: There are several missions where the encounters react diffrently to your alert status... In one you even have to go head on with the Klingons at condition green, since you are on a diplomatic mission...
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos

Last edited by anazonda; 03-07-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Captain
# 9
03-07-2013, 02:06 PM
Couldn't we just have green alert until the ship gets fired upon, then it automatically goes to red alert ?

Oh wait....
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
Captain
# 10 Red Alert
03-07-2013, 02:14 PM
This Red Alert thing is asked for so many times I have almost nightmare's from it ....

Me and a lot off other people asked for it but cryptic doesn't answer hails !!!
We also asked a Thousand times to reduce the time Red Alert is active, what you think Cryptic doesn't answer the hails no they came up with an excellent idea red alert in the sectors, about Borg and now with tholians .
You honestly believe with your idea they finally start to listen, I don't think they will....
Don't get me wrong I love your idea and I think I speak for every player that play STO would love it, but it just wont happen son sorry...

Greets