Lt. Commander
# 91
01-16-2010, 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalbert82 View Post
Champions Online currently suffers from the same crash at Atari Loading. See http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...estingId=46263

So I'm not so hopeful about this getting fixed. Which is a shame, because I'm getting ready to quit WoW (for the 3rd time so far) and I was looking forward to playing this on my Mac.
I've been researching the CO problem a bit too, and it seems some people can play it, I'm trying all the crap they did to see if any of it pans out.

As I hear, space combat in STO is crappy. If you're quitting WOW and can't play STO, go try EVE. They used to release a linux client, but the win client runs wine with one tweak needed for 9.10.
Lt. Commander
# 92
01-16-2010, 09:47 PM
The same page tells of using wine hacks to get CO to work... replicating those hacks would seem to be very beneficial to this cause.
Lt. Commander
# 93
01-16-2010, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by S31-Syntax View Post
The same page tells of using wine hacks to get CO to work... replicating those hacks would seem to be very beneficial to this cause.
It was talking about a repository of modified wine files (wine hacks) that compile into a bugfixed/improved wine. It didn't work.
Lt. Commander
# 94
01-16-2010, 10:00 PM
So, roughly 1.8GB into the log file, I "might" have found something. A call to VirtualQuery() in kernel32.dll is returning 0 (ie error). Gotta add some debug code now, but it is at least memory related. No promises yet.
Lt. Commander
# 95
01-16-2010, 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobox
It was talking about a repository of modified wine files (wine hacks) that compile into a bugfixed/improved wine. It didn't work.
It worked for him, and someone on the HotHardware boards. i've contacted him to ask how those hacks worked, maybe i can recreate them with more success.
Lt. Commander
# 96
01-16-2010, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by someenigma View Post
So, roughly 1.8GB into the log file, I "might" have found something. A call to VirtualQuery() in kernel32.dll is returning 0 (ie error). Gotta add some debug code now, but it is at least memory related. No promises yet.
False alarm I think. It does throw an error (accessing beyond the 2GB limit) but it's not (I'm pretty sure) the game breaking one, because the same process and error (Query basically all virtual memory) seems to happen a number of times in the loading process, and earlier on it works fine.

It also "seems" to be doing this memory thing "after" the crash, not before. However that timing is just down to what appears in my log files first, which may mislead me.

I think however the heap walking may be trying to do something akin to
while (*str != '\0') str++;
except in memory terms and may be breaking. This is just a stab in the dark however, I wouldn't even know if it's Wine code or Cryptic code which may or may not be doing this.

@coderanger in particular. Take these rambles with more than a grain of salt. I'm just poking around, seeing what pops out, I have no idea if what I talk about here is either accurate or relevant.
Lt. Commander
# 97
01-17-2010, 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by someenigma View Post
False alarm I think. It does throw an error (accessing beyond the 2GB limit) but it's not (I'm pretty sure) the game breaking one, because the same process and error (Query basically all virtual memory) seems to happen a number of times in the loading process, and earlier on it works fine.

It also "seems" to be doing this memory thing "after" the crash, not before. However that timing is just down to what appears in my log files first, which may mislead me.

I think however the heap walking may be trying to do something akin to
while (*str != '\0') str++;
except in memory terms and may be breaking. This is just a stab in the dark however, I wouldn't even know if it's Wine code or Cryptic code which may or may not be doing this.

@coderanger in particular. Take these rambles with more than a grain of salt. I'm just poking around, seeing what pops out, I have no idea if what I talk about here is either accurate or relevant.
Nice work on the datalogs someenigma. My linux-fu is poor in comparison (I tried to roll my one Wine from source, found a lot of libraries that I need to install first :-S

And Coderanger, I do appreciate your effort. I wish that Windows was not such a legacy monster. It is the only game in town OS wise.
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderanger
We are indeed aware of companies like Transgaming and Codeweavers. It is something we are not opposed to, but getting the Windows version launched and first-rate is a higher priority for now.
If you intend to do co-operation with either one of these companies, please choose Codeweavers. They really give stuff back to the wine community whereas Transgaming keeps mostly the improvements to themselves.
Lt. Commander
# 99
01-17-2010, 10:03 AM
I had a number of friends who played EVE and it doesn't appeal to me at all. I'm looking forward to STO because it's Star Trek, not because of any particular game mechanics.

someenigma, how did you generate this log file? I wouldn't mind going through it as well.
Lt. Commander
# 100
01-17-2010, 10:19 AM
+1 vote for Mac native client
Closed Thread