Lt. Commander
# 121
01-18-2010, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elayne_Hope
Well, I just thought I'd pop in and mention that I did manage to get STO running on my 64-bit Gentoo box using the open source VirtualBox version 3.1.0 and Windows XP, It currently looks absolutely terrible, but it is playable. I'll see if I can't clean it up a bit, toss it an extra processor or something.
DO TELL!!!

How did you get past the graphics card autodetect?
Lt. Commander
# 122
01-18-2010, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangerald View Post
DO TELL!!!

How did you get past the graphics card autodetect?
I only ever got a box waring that my computer may not be powerful enough or something, and the option to try anyways, or start with super low settings. I told it to go with the super low settings and it started right up.

I did have to install VirtualBox's d3d video extensions with the virtual XP box started in safe mode to get those working. It claims to be successfully using 3D and 2D acceleration. The actual system card is an older Nvidia 8800 GTS 512mb using the 190.53 drivers. XP reports the card as a 128mb VBox Integrated RAMDAC device.

Don't get your hopes up too high though, even giving it 3GB of ram, and access to all 4 processor cores it only barely runs, mouse turning is a little squirly and it gets choppy at anything above min resolution and the half-res option enabled.
Lt. Commander
# 123
01-18-2010, 03:33 PM
I wonder if you get this thing going in VirtualBox on linux if it'd work on VirtualBox on OS X too. If it does, I could stop swapping over to BootCamp every time I want to play.

EB
Lt. Commander
# 124
01-18-2010, 06:32 PM
it runs poorly in VMware Fusion on Mac.. i doubt it would run any better in virtualbox... better off playing in Windows directly for now
Lt. Commander
# 125
01-20-2010, 03:28 AM
Nothing really new yet. I downloading Champions Online. It crashes with regular Wine, but loads up fine (to the login screen) with the winehacks git repo. I couldn't log in, not sure why though, possibly server down as I saw some notice about that. Still, it got past the crash from regular wine.

STO however still crashes in exactly the same place (and it has a different crash to CO as well) so while it's useful to be aware of the winehacks repo for now, it's not a source for a fix as yet.
Lt. Commander
# 126
01-20-2010, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by someenigma View Post
Nothing really new yet. I downloading Champions Online. It crashes with regular Wine, but loads up fine (to the login screen) with the winehacks git repo. I couldn't log in, not sure why though, possibly server down as I saw some notice about that. Still, it got past the crash from regular wine.

STO however still crashes in exactly the same place (and it has a different crash to CO as well) so while it's useful to be aware of the winehacks repo for now, it's not a source for a fix as yet.
After installing Vista (kill me now), the strain that the game placed on my graphics card means that it may be unwineable for a while.

It is a shame, but i suppose the tradeoff between graphics and usability is extensive use of DirectX
Lt. Commander
# 127
01-20-2010, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
it runs poorly in VMware Fusion on Mac.. i doubt it would run any better in virtualbox... better off playing in Windows directly for now
Runs not at all on the latest version of Parallels.

EB
Lt. Commander
Hi all,

My attention was brought to this thread recently, and it's encouraging to see so much interest in getting STO running on other platforms besides Windows. I have been poking around lately with getting the Cryptic engine running under WINE, and thanks to some joint work with CodeWeavers it's looking like full support is just around the corner.

In fact, last night I was able to log into the beta and play for an hour using a lightly modified version of the wine/hacks branch under Ubuntu. Any of you who are reasonably tech-savvy should be able to test my solution:

1. Get the wine/hacks branch from http://repo.or.cz/w/wine/hacks.git
2. Get the following patches from http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=21401: (kindly provided by Jeremy White)
- "Hack to work around issue with GetProcessMemoryInfo"
- "Patch to address failure in GetCurrentDirectoryA with 0x10000 sized buffers."
3. Build & install.
4. Run winetricks ie6
5. Run the launcher, patch up and go!

Please report your level of success here.
Lt. Commander
# 129
01-20-2010, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
Agreed. But it does do fine under Bootcamp on my mac. Still rather play on my PC. Better graphics card, in my case.
Lt. Commander
# 130
01-20-2010, 02:30 PM
Runs great on my three year old MacBook Pro under BootCamp (Vista Ultimate). Would love to try running it in OSX under Wine or something like it, tho'.

(Tried Parallels. Utter fail, alas, but that's OK, cos that MBP doesn't really have enough RAM to run Vista in Parallels for anything serious).
Closed Thread