Lt. Commander
# 141
01-20-2010, 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TauNeutrino
Hi all,

My attention was brought to this thread recently, and it's encouraging to see so much interest in getting STO running on other platforms besides Windows. I have been poking around lately with getting the Cryptic engine running under WINE, and thanks to some joint work with CodeWeavers it's looking like full support is just around the corner.

In fact, last night I was able to log into the beta and play for an hour using a lightly modified version of the wine/hacks branch under Ubuntu. Any of you who are reasonably tech-savvy should be able to test my solution:

1. Get the wine/hacks branch from http://repo.or.cz/w/wine/hacks.git
2. Get the following patches from http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=21401: (kindly provided by Jeremy White)
- "Hack to work around issue with GetProcessMemoryInfo"
- "Patch to address failure in GetCurrentDirectoryA with 0x10000 sized buffers."
3. Build & install.
4. Run winetricks ie6
5. Run the launcher, patch up and go!

Please report your level of success here.
I think it is great how you (the Developers) actually read these forums and participate. It shows great dedication. I am going ot have to give this a try. I have used Linux in the past and thought about trying it again so now I think I will. Thanks for the info.
Lt. Commander
# 142
01-20-2010, 10:15 PM
under Wine, the "new" launcher/patch window doesn't draw as well as the old one... it seems to work but has many drawing errors on it.... also clicking on a link like "Options" makes it freeze for like 30 seconds before the options window appears, when it was instant before...

its either the window changes, or something with the patched up winehcks git...

its also download patches super slow, but maybe its the servers, i dunno.... if it ever gets patched i'll see if it actually works with this build of Wine
Lt. Commander
# 143
01-20-2010, 10:42 PM
As I'm doing my compiling on a 64bit system, I bumped into this little fun with current git.
Build failure on current git

according to the mpg123 NEWS file mpg123_feed was introduced with 1.5.0
if this is actually the lowest version to compile with, it should be checked
by ./configure if possible.

linking against system libmpg123 does have other issues however.
im building a 32 bit wine on a 64 bit box here and i have installed a 32 bit
libary of libmpg123 of course, however:

mpegl3.o: In function `MPEG3_Reset':
mpegl3.c: (.text+0xca): undefined reference to `mpg123_feedseek'

the symbol is actually mpg123_feedseek_64 (which seems to be the case on a
pure 32 bit box too according to one reporter)
mpg123_findseek is correct for 64 bit however as there isn't mpg123_findseek_64
in my 64 bit libary.

I merely modified the line in file dlls/winemp3.acm/mpegl3.c
- mpg123_feedseek(aad->mh, 0, SEEK_SET, NULL);
+ mpg123_feedseek_64(aad->mh, 0, SEEK_SET, NULL);

and off it went for myself again. Someone who's better acquinted may modify the code for detection of the target architecture x86/x86_64. It will propably be fixed soon also anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 144
01-20-2010, 11:22 PM
Well, now just waiting for the nearly 4GB patch data to download. It just keeps on patching for a moment and then saying
Error 14: The connection to the server was lost.

Seems to go in 1-3MB cycles... Man this is annoying. However I do like the fact that I don't have to restart the launcher to get it patching again which seemed to be the case earlier.

Just got an interesting effect with patching. Suddenly I got the launcher to show the Internet explorer error of
The page cannot be displayed

The page you are looking for is current unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

However, now it's patching quite quickly, the percentage is going up at about 0.1%/2 seconds or even faster at times. Well, I don't mind as long as the patch gets downloaded.
Lt. Commander
# 145
01-21-2010, 12:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TauNeutrino
Hi all,

My attention was brought to this thread recently, and it's encouraging to see so much interest in getting STO running on other platforms besides Windows. I have been poking around lately with getting the Cryptic engine running under WINE, and thanks to some joint work with CodeWeavers it's looking like full support is just around the corner.

In fact, last night I was able to log into the beta and play for an hour using a lightly modified version of the wine/hacks branch under Ubuntu. Any of you who are reasonably tech-savvy should be able to test my solution:
(snip)

Please report your level of success here.
Bless you and your children! Would be most awesome to test (as soon as I can devista my boot partition :-S)
Lt. Commander
# 146
01-21-2010, 01:57 AM
so far I have not been able to get it to work...

Using the Winehacks git with the 2 mentioned patches applied.

There was a problem patching, which may be the issue... does anyone not get this error while applying the patch for psapi... I've never seen this happen with a patch for Wine before... so not quite sure what it means. Has anyone else who has tried get (or not get) this when patching? The second patch works fine without any extra messages.

Quote:
patching file dlls/pasapi/psapi_main.c
patch unexpectedly ends in middle of line
Hunk #1 succeded at 541 with fuzz 1.
Ignoring this and still using the build of Wine... i tried, hoping that error meant there was nothing wrong... I looked inside of the source it was patching and the changes appear to all be done correctly

For some reason I can no longer get the game to run in a window, turning off the fullscreen checkmark doesn't help, it always launches fullscreen... so when i add in -console I can never see it or know what is happening when it crashes.

It gets further than before... it crashes on the loading screen with the star trek emblem on it... so I guess its progress.

is there anyway to have it log the console info to a file?

machine I'm trying it on....

Macbook Pro late 2008
Core 2 Duo 2.53ghz
4gb ram
Geforce 9600GT 512mb
Mac OS X 10.6.2
Lt. Commander
# 147
01-21-2010, 05:05 AM
My OS is Ubuntu 9.10 x86_64. Using ATI Catalyst 9.12 drivers with a Radeon HD 5970.

Runs decently in VMware Workstation 7 in a Windows guest (and by decently I mean functional but slow), but doesn't run properly under Wine.

Have latest wine/hacks.git.
Applied the two patches.
Changed game settings to minimal.
Ran winetricks ie6.

Edited Live/Localdata/Gameprefs.Pref to turn on software mouse cursor. If I disable the software mouse cursor, then the game gets to the starfleet emblem during startup, then crashes, after printing a message "Cursor is corrupt, fixing..." at the bottom of the screen. If I enable the software mouse cursor, I can proceed.

Launcher is fine (except for graphical defects that do not interfere with usability).

Main menu is pixel-exact and fully functional, as is the options menu.

Character selection works flawlessly, and character is rendered pixel-exact as it should be. Can be rotated with the mouse or the buttons.

Character creation works flawlessly, and text/menus/characters and character attachments are rendered pixel-exact as they should be. Thoroughly tested character creation and it works fine on all counts, and performs very well.

A few seconds after loading into the game, whether on the ground or in space, the game crashes. No stack traces or anything are printed to the console, only the usual FIXME type messages. The CrypticError.exe handler catches the crash and tries to gather a mini-dump, but since I don't know where it stores its files, I am unable to determine whether (a) the mini-dump could successfully be created, and (b) if so, what to do with it.

So close -- I can even see my ship (or character) for about a half-second before the game crashes
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
just gotta say your awesome for pointing us to that... and testing it out.... and Jeremy White and everyone who works on Wine (and all of Codeweavers) are awesome :-)

This is making me really happy if it works.. I hated having to boot into Windows... if I can get it working in OSX I might even buy a lifetime
Same here but for Ubuntu 9.10 (whish i use a remix of). Fix that i hope that Cryptic studios take part in, It is a smart way to expand theri market. The Cryptic Engen and Champions Online alredy run on severla palttforms.
Acording to info on wikipedia on grapicschip for game consoles RSX 'Reality Synthesizer' for PS3 support OpenGL ES 2.0 and XBOX 360s Xenos (graphics chip) support "a superset of DirectX 9.0c API DirectX Xbox 360, and Shader Model 3.0+". That means that probly can Cryptic angen work whit open GL as well or will in the future. WINE can commuicate between openGL and DirectX, sow native open GL 2.0 to 2.1 support can be done later. WINE compablity can be a god lerning expreince for Cryptic and a way to expand thier maket. Transgamings CEO (http://watch.bnn.ca/market-morning/s...09/#clip218442). Inttressing about cable gaming. It's opens possilitys, market expand. Search my ohter post on compality for POSIX systems and Open GL. WINE compality is the first step on that road, Star Trek online comes whit DirectX sow that is solved how to get native dirextX9 .dll files. The company supportin WINE is olsow aimin for STO for WINE users. I hope taht Good WINE compality come sonn and will be very good to exelent when WINE reces WINE 1.2 and then make it offical support.
Cryptic studios can be the leding company on MMO game multiplatform compablity in the ATARI group. EVE online developer CCP have had offical support for EVE but now ist back to WINE and ohter 3rd parys solutions. It's possibe, hope it will be possilble ot utelise qoudcore CPU power and have Anti-Aliasing. The for 64bit OS grapicsdriver can be sloved to i hope. To be able to use the ram and speed capltisy of 64bit morden computors can make STO look even better.
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=19026
Lt. Commander
# 149
01-21-2010, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
I am going to build a Wine build using this for Wineskin, and if I get it working decently, I'll put up a link to download the full ready to go Mac .app that should run using Wine built in... so Mac users wont need to build or install Wine or configure it themselves.... I'll let yall know how it works. I'm glad someone figured it out, I had been looking through code, but I'm still not that great out debugging Wine problems.
Any luck on this? Thanks for the effort wither way
Lt. Commander
# 150
01-21-2010, 12:39 PM
Well, now that STO patching finally got through I must sadly say that I couldn't get it to work on x86_64 ubuntu with the wine hack plus patches. Compared to System wine, with the hacked wine the CrypticError is unable to get Error Ticket ID whereas the ppa ubuntu wine receives it.

On both wine versions I get to the Atari loading logo but neither gets me further than that yet.

Hopefully codeweavers/wine community/someone here is able to do some of their 64bit loving to this and get us/me further...

And I still keep getting with patching that short loading and Error 14. If the launcher screen somehow doesn't display the patching/received information or the whole window gives me the IE error loading information, then patching works great. Sounds odd but that's how it's for me now.
Closed Thread