Lt. Commander
# 171
01-22-2010, 11:09 AM
in case anyones looking in here and not the main forum... and I don't wanna hijack this thread.. I made a new post about the Mac version using Wine I've been messing with, to see if anyone wants to help test it...

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho....php?p=1591796
Lt. Commander
# 172
01-22-2010, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beefart
hia. If you got problems with stuttering movement it might be because of the repeating key function. Try open a terminal and enter xset r off
to turn it back on type xset r on
this will fix atleast one of the movement issues.
Thanks, that fixed moving!
Lt. Commander
# 173
01-22-2010, 01:17 PM
No sound problem solved by adding mmdevapi=disable to the winecfg library overrides. After some investigation it appears the problem is incomplete implementation of mmdevapi bug #21248
Lt. Commander
# 174
01-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elayne_Hope
No sound problem solved by adding mmdevapi=disable to the winecfg library overrides. After some investigation it appears the problem is incomplete implementation of mmdevapi bug #21248
wow thanks.. I was just gonna test that but they took the servers down :-(
Lt. Commander
# 175
01-22-2010, 03:10 PM
oops... forget this post...apparently was a mistake
Lt. Commander
# 176
01-22-2010, 04:20 PM
I have STO running with sound on ubuntu 9.10 kernal 2.6.32. I complied wine with the hack and the 2 patches mentioned before. Applied the sound fix.

The only issues i have are with the graphics, using a 9600M GT on acer 5930g laptop. My card is not detected, and i get the warning after the loader, then in game the screen becomes corrupted sometimes, then catches up eventually - so this could be due to lag....

Can anyone help about getting my card detected properly?

loading screens are faster than my win7 box
Lt. Commander
# 177
01-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by essexboy View Post
The only issues i have are with the graphics, using a 9600M GT on acer 5930g laptop. My card is not detected, and i get the warning after the loader, then in game the screen becomes corrupted sometimes, then catches up eventually - so this could be due to lag....
its not lag... its not refreshing right, and drawing on top of itself, then clears up... it happens to me too. I am also using a 9400M and a 9600GT... same issue on both.
Lt. Commander
# 178
01-22-2010, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by essexboy View Post
I have STO running with sound on ubuntu 9.10 kernal 2.6.32. I complied wine with the hack and the 2 patches mentioned before. Applied the sound fix.

Can anyone help about getting my card detected properly?

loading screens are faster than my win7 box
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
its not lag... its not refreshing right, and drawing on top of itself, then clears up... it happens to me too. I am also using a 9400M and a 9600GT... same issue on both.
actually to add to this....

I've found a work around (although its a nasty one) to this issue... for some reason if I turn on "Half Resolution" the graphical errors stop... although everything looks uglier.

If Tau or CodeRanger or someone reads this, can you let us know if "half resolution" disables something else besides just cutting down the resolution? would help me narrow down what code in Wine might need to be modified to fix it.

EDIT:
also turning on Software Cursor seems to auto refresh all the time, and the error doesn't happen, as long as the cursor is visible.
Lt. Commander
# 179
01-23-2010, 05:30 AM
Finally got past the patching and into the game, I kept getting Internet Explorer Scripting Errors everywhere which one web page stated could be caused by png transparency coding in web pages.

Hmmm... xset r off doesn't work for me, just messes up using the game and makes me write into zone channel a lot of movements. Basically what this seems to do is to make my machine into a continuous RETURN key sender.

Haven't yet gotten sound out even with mmdevapi=disable but this is nice progress though.

Definitely shows promise to my intention to format that Vista installation away sometime in the near future and enjoying STO in Ubuntu.
Lt. Commander
# 180
01-23-2010, 09:21 AM
here is a workaround for yall to try works for me.... for the graphics smearing problem

since "Half Resolution" fixes it... try this instead...

type in
/renderscale .9999

this sets it to 99.99% scaling.. which looks almost as good as the normal 100%, but the smearing bug doesn't happen at all for me.
Closed Thread