Lt. Commander
# 181
01-23-2010, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
here is a workaround for yall to try works for me.... for the graphics smearing problem

since "Half Resolution" fixes it... try this instead...

type in
/renderscale .9999

this sets it to 99.99% scaling.. which looks almost as good as the normal 100%, but the smearing bug doesn't happen at all for me.
Worked for me nicely, though just for the heck of it, I tried setting "/renderscale 2" and the problem kept away also then... Also the graphics were crispier. Can't find yet any place where I would have a problem with this setting.
Lt. Commander
# 182
01-23-2010, 09:36 AM
Turning on anti-aliasing also makes it go away for me, although it doesn't visually look like its actually turning on.
Lt. Commander
# 183
01-23-2010, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elayne_Hope
Turning on anti-aliasing also makes it go away for me, although it doesn't visually look like its actually turning on.
I haven;t found a way on Mac OS X yet to enable AA... its still always grayed out in STO.... X in OSX uses a passthrough type driver system to the main OS, it doesn't have a specific driver just for X, so it leads to issues like this often.... hopefully that will be an answer if I can get it to work. thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 184
01-23-2010, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalko View Post
Worked for me nicely, though just for the heck of it, I tried setting "/renderscale 2" and the problem kept away also then... Also the graphics were crispier. Can't find yet any place where I would have a problem with this setting.
awesome.. I never even thought about going over 100% ...
Lt. Commander
# 185
01-23-2010, 09:56 AM
Quote:
awesome.. I never even thought about going over 100% ...
Just hope that doesn't get fixed as a bug.
Lt. Commander
# 186
01-23-2010, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Just hope that doesn't get fixed as a bug.
it actualyl works.. its not a bug.. it does rendering at higher, and .... it gets a better picture and slower the higehr you go...

i ben running at 1.001 .. which fixes and and looks fine... 1.5 looks better... 2 looks even better... but it gets kinda slow on my frame rates.
Lt. Commander
# 187
01-23-2010, 10:56 AM
Quote:
it actualyl works.. its not a bug.. it does rendering at higher, and .... it gets a better picture and slower the higehr you go...

i ben running at 1.001 .. which fixes and and looks fine... 1.5 looks better... 2 looks even better... but it gets kinda slow on my frame rates.
Well, kept trying to find my limits which turned out to be /renderscale 4. 3 worked still for my card. At 4 I got a complaint that I ran out of graphics mem.

Luckily the setting didn't remain in the game. I get nice graphics with keeping the recommended set for video settings and additionally typing /renderscale 2.

Now, just 4 things left that I'd like to work:
  1. Patcher/Launcher has issues that come out as Internet Explorer Scripting Errors
  2. Would still like to hear sounds...
  3. Directional controls are giving me troubles. That xset r off did not work for me as I mentioned earlier...
  4. What fonts do I need to install so that texts look better?

Well, actually the directional controls work from time to time okayish, but not all the time. I am be able to walk around perfectly if I push w and q simultaneously to start moving but if I push only w then I run for a bit and then start quivering and progressing inch by inch... Same thing for all directional controls, if I push 2 simultaneously it just works but pushing only one key at a time doesn't. Seems that I don't any more get the rolling around effect myself.
Lt. Commander
# 188
01-23-2010, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Now, just 3 things left that I'd like to work:
  1. Would still like to hear sounds...
  2. Directional controls are giving me troubles. That xset r off did not work for me as I mentioned earlier...
  3. What fonts do I need to install so that texts look better?
well I don't have the first two problems at all, so not sure I can help with those...

but I've been working on a lot of things with the Fonts, and the log in/patcher screen issues... but no real luck yet.
Lt. Commander
# 189
01-23-2010, 11:24 AM
Quote:
well I don't have the first two problems at all, so not sure I can help with those...

but I've been working on a lot of things with the Fonts, and the log in/patcher screen issues... but no real luck yet.
My sound issue could of course be some audio setting in winecfg that I don't have set the right way. Could someone who has sounds on Ubuntu say what they have set in the Audio tab of winecfg and if there is something else in addition?
Lt. Commander
# 190
01-23-2010, 11:46 AM
mmdevapi=disabled allowed me to get sound!

BTW for those of you that 'xset r off' doesn't work, make sure you type that in a linux terminal, and NOT in the ingame chat!

I also get decent framerates (30-40fps) with the quality set to recommended, and by turning reflection quality, and lighting quality to LOW.

The registry settings for wine didn't make the graphics corruptions go away completely, but it appaeared to reduce how often it happens, haven't tried the renderscale settings yet.

I do get occasional crashes though (it crashed 3 times today I think), once in Earth spacedock before talking to a vendor, once during an away mission (doing nothing special, just looking around). Right before the crash the game freezes, then it exits and the crash dialog appears. I do get ticket numbers, so I submitted a few.
Closed Thread