Lt. Commander
# 191
01-23-2010, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightspeed256 View Post
I do get occasional crashes though (it crashed 3 times today I think), once in Earth spacedock before talking to a vendor, once during an away mission (doing nothing special, just looking around). Right before the crash the game freezes, then it exits and the crash dialog appears. I do get ticket numbers, so I submitted a few.
i got occasional crashes too... but with renderscale on to any setting... the grpahics work good and I havent crashed yet.

it appears the renderscale optoin resets itself everytime you log off... so I just set up a key bind to do it for me

i wasn't using the ' key for anything.. so I did

/bind ' renderscale 1.001

so when i log in i can hit it and be fixed... (or i can hit it quick when I forget and see the problem)

I wonder if there is a command we can send from the log in screen to set this every time? its not a big deal if you already make a bunch of key binds and save them to a txt file and load them every time.

oh, and for the Log in screen problems.. I've found IE7 works slightly better in some ways than IE6. It looks better, but I get a weird blank pop up at the front... and the "patch" button doesn't change to "engage" but other than that it works nicely.
Lt. Commander
renderscale commands. How to use them i cant get pass whit WINE installed as recommanded in this trehed, the atari logo on gameclinet when loding. What is Half Resulotion?
Lt. Commander
# 193
01-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Quote:
mmdevapi=disabled allowed me to get sound!
Okay, so you have the defaults in Audio tab of winecfg set. Only ALSA enabled?

Quote:
BTW for those of you that 'xset r off' doesn't work, make sure you type that in a linux terminal, and NOT in the ingame chat!
Yup, fired it away in a terminal naturally. Like I said earlier, it causes my X to repeat RETURN key all the time and doesn't help me with controlling my characters at all.... :-(
Lt. Commander
# 194
01-23-2010, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by j85 View Post
renderscale commands. How to use them i cant get pass whit WINE installed as recommanded in this trehed, the atari logo on gameclinet when loding. What is Half Resulotion?
renderscale is a graphic fix you type in the game once its loaded... if you cannot get the game to load all the way in, your having other issues.

turn off glsl in the wine registry.... it works for some people but on Mac OS X, it crashes STO when its enabled, and it works fine with it disabled.

basically run regedit, go in to Current user -> software - > wine - > Direct3D

create a string called
UseGLSL
and set it to
disabled

if the Direct3D entry isn't under Wine, you can create it.

"Half Resolution" is a setting in the game that sets your renderscale to 0.5 (or 50%)... we use the command to manually set it to higher numbers, since we found the 50% thing fixed the graphic bug.
Lt. Commander
# 195
01-23-2010, 02:01 PM
Nice, winetrics installing ie7 instead of ie6 seems to fix that continuous nagging at the launcher, though the buttons don't get updated to correct content. Like the server up or down indicator is showing down even it's up.

Must have done something wrong in the winecfg myself on the earlier try, now I got sound too when I re-entered the mmdevapi and set the value to disabled and set the sound output to ALSA again.

EDIT: Okay, the server was really down. "Server Status: Undergoing Maintenance"

Guess that's my moment to head to bed and see more in the morning.

2 things off my list though, sound issue gone and launcher issues less troubling. Now just that movement controlling left...
Lt. Commander
# 196
01-23-2010, 02:07 PM
[quote=jpalko;1614041]Okay, so you have the defaults in Audio tab of winecfg set. Only ALSA enabled?
[\QUOTE]

Yes, thats right. I fired up winecfg, went to audio tab, it autoselected/enabled ALSA, I clicked apply, OK.
Also added mmdevapi=disabled on the Libraries tab.

BTW building the pulse driver for wine failed, so its not installed. So make sure you have alsa selected, and not pulse there.

Quote:
Yup, fired it away in a terminal naturally. Like I said earlier, it causes my X to repeat RETURN key all the time and doesn't help me with controlling my characters at all.... :-(
That is strange, my X doesn't repeat any keys with 'xset r off'. Try pressing a key (return if that is what you have trouble with) in X, before entering the game, and see how it behaves. It should only output one character, regardless how long you press it. I am using Xorg 7.5.
Lt. Commander
# 197
01-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
renderscale is a graphic fix you type in the game once its loaded... if you cannot get the game to load all the way in, your having other issues.

turn off glsl in the wine registry.... it works for some people but on Mac OS X, it crashes STO when its enabled, and it works fine with it disabled.

basically run regedit, go in to Current user -> software - > wine - > Direct3D

create a string called
UseGLSL
and set it to
disabled

if the Direct3D entry isn't under Wine, you can create it.

"Half Resolution" is a setting in the game that sets your renderscale to 0.5 (or 50%)... we use the command to manually set it to higher numbers, since we found the 50% thing fixed the graphic bug.
Regedit fix dos't help on my ubuntu system I have WIne compiled acorrdingly, its not a reg edit issue for me.
Lt. Commander
# 198
01-23-2010, 02:14 PM
Reporting SUCCESS on my Macbook Pro ATI X1600 with 2 gigs of Ram using Doh123's Wine download. Created a dude, played up through the borg cube fighting mission. Game works great and smoothest at 1024X768 resolution.

Thanks everyone and Cryptic team members.
Lt. Commander
# 199
01-23-2010, 02:17 PM
Quote:
That is strange, my X doesn't repeat any keys with 'xset r off'. Try pressing a key (return if that is what you have trouble with) in X, before entering the game, and see how it behaves. It should only output one character, regardless how long you press it. I am using Xorg 7.5.
Tried it already but didn't help. I really don't want to keep trying that command as the command really puts my RETURN key stuck at firing away all the time. It takes quite a while to get the command xset r on run again as everything that I put my mouse onto starts getting the CRLF treatment full time.

Karmic xorg is version 7.4+3ubuntu10.

Regarding keyboard settings:
Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "fi"
EndSection

Any suggestions if there could be my problems? And no, not switching away from Finnish keyboard
Lt. Commander
# 200
01-23-2010, 02:29 PM
I hvae tride whit the d3dx9 via winetricks
I think it's a ATI Catalyst™ Display Driver problem. I have tis whit the "ATI Catalyst™ 9.12 Proprietary Linux x86 Display Drive" and probldly whit the version berfore.
I have the outdated/poor specs prblem for grapichscards.
It worked whit WinXP64bit but the driver grapicsradcard issue was their i could play the game farly but it vas lower settings or lame a bit slow grapichs update.
I do think is som tihgn about ATIs 64bit drives for Radeon HD that have to be sloved or even sevral issues. I have borght this cra i have now new. It's A Radeon HD 3870 card I have in my computer.
Closed Thread