Lt. Commander
# 231
01-30-2010, 06:44 PM
when i launch GameClient.exe with "padsp wine GameClient.exe", the sound runs, but also runs twice as fast... with the dialogue sounding like its done by alvin... lol, any ideas why it would do this?
Lt. Commander
# 232 Graphics problems
02-01-2010, 10:36 PM
I have problems whit graphics but it's much better then whit Radeon HD card. Nvidia has good Linux drvers my GT220 works better whit Ubuntu and WINE do to better working drivers. How ever still a bit slow graphics and I have 195.30 version. How can it be? is it Problems on Windows to?
Lt. Commander
At CodeWeavers, we've been doing a lot of work on Wine to get STO to work on Wine. There are instructions at winehq.org to do it with Wine. We've also put up a build of CrossOver Games that will make it easy to install and run:
http://www.codeweavers.com/support/f...t=21;msg=72782

Cheers,

Jeremy
Lt. Commander
# 234
02-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhite View Post
At CodeWeavers, we've been doing a lot of work on Wine to get STO to work on Wine. There are instructions at winehq.org to do it with Wine. We've also put up a build of CrossOver Games that will make it easy to install and run:

Cheers,

Jeremy
Very cool Jeremy!

Can't wait for the stable version that does not break the other stuff. Unfortunately Left4Dead 1 and 2 are games that I enjoy at times. Who doesn't love a bit of zombie annihilation after a hard day at work in a cubicle?
Lt. Commander
# 235
02-03-2010, 08:39 AM
+1, Can't wait for the stable linux version
Lt. Commander
When STO is running whit WINE for example in ubuntu 64bit ist it common to have slow grapicks, that is slow in flow to. when it turn character int almost hacks a bit instead of being smooth. Like hang up abit, i dont think its sow much of hardware prestanda problem more of a bug/glitch in software. I have had duplicate grahichs curruption when my officer is at earth Space Dock.
Lt. Commander
# 237
02-03-2010, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhite View Post

Cheers,

Jeremy
A few years ago I bought CX Linux when there was a promotion for TrialPay (or something like that). I ended up signing up for some fairly good (but expensive) coffee for a month or two, and got CX Linux in exchange.

That since expired.

I always knew that CrossOver was doing great things for Wine, and that eventually your engineers work hard enough to get the most popular things supported.

When I read your post, and your blog, I couldn't help but spring for a new license of CX Games. Even if the unsupported build doesn't work, you guys have got my support. Thanks for using your Trekkie-motivation to help us out.
Lt. Commander
# 238
02-03-2010, 06:59 PM
I have built packages for openSUSE 11.2
download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/lanceinman/openSUSE_11.2

It is the wine hacks git + the 2 patches. Pulseaudio is supported also.

Now if I could ever get past "Connecting to the account server..." to actually test out performance.
Lt. Commander
# 239
02-03-2010, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by j85 View Post
When STO is running whit WINE for example in ubuntu 64bit ist it common to have slow grapicks, that is slow in flow to. when it turn character int almost hacks a bit instead of being smooth. Like hang up abit, i dont think its sow much of hardware prestanda problem more of a bug/glitch in software. I have had duplicate grahichs curruption when my officer is at earth Space Dock.
As Ubuntu defaults to running with compiz enabled, I guess you did disable it?
System -> Preferences -> Appearance -> Visual Effects -> None

Compiz might look cool but it's a huge performace hog unfortunately so often while playing it's better to turn it off. Even Windows Vista disables Aero when starting certain games.

Only thing that comes to my mind quickly that caused huge performance loss for myself.
Lt. Commander
# 240
02-04-2010, 01:17 AM
I'm trying the special build of Crossover, it's quite effective indeed. Sound works even without disabling mmdevapi (but I still did it on second try as sound got killed on the computer after exiting game the first time).
The graphic corruption in map space is still there, but any tweak of /renderscale solves it throughout the game.
I tried adding mine to the gameprefs.pref file but no change, maybe because it already has a renderscaleX and renderscaleY value to take care of. If anybody tries toying with that , please keep me posted.
Closed Thread