Lt. Commander
# 291
03-11-2010, 04:45 PM
Ok I have wine 1.1.40 installed, had trouble getting "sh winetricks ie7" to install. Now, STO doesn't displays "ready" in white in the lower left corner but clicking the menu bar words like "options" will get it to crash. The big blue button just says "PATCH" and still nothing happens when I click it. I did add that mmdevapi libraby to wine and then disable it and sound does work via winecfg as well.

What am I missing?? Is IE7 required? Winedoors doesn't show it, I realize that's just a front-end collection but when I run "sh winetricks ie7" I get:

fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on HDA ATI HDMI, disabling mixer
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on HDA ATI HDMI, disabling mixer
fixme:advapi:SetEntriesInAclA 1 0x33f748 (nil) 0x33f790
fixme:advapi:SetSecurityInfo stub
fixme:dpnhpastllRegisterServer :stub
Executing wine iexplore -unregserver
err:module:import_dll Library shdocvw.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\iexplore.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\windows\\system32\\iexplore.exe" failed, status c0000135
Note: command 'wine iexplore -unregserver' returned status 53. Aborting.
Lt. Commander
# 292
03-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Very frustrating. I found a way to get IE7 loaded using ie4linux but it still bombs. I tried to re-run the install for the game but it seems to hang on dxsetup.exe / silent. Earlier I thought the wine install was bad so I read to remove all native libraries from winecfg which I did. After wine re-install they have not re-appeared. Do I need any libraries in Wine other than the mmdev... thing I disable? How do you uninstall a windows program installed under Wine?

Update: It's progressing now, after 20 min. it's installing hogg files now. NOPE, Same as I was before, worse actually with no white lettered update. Menu bar items crash and I only ever have PATCH on the button. I cannot get in. Any ideas Linux community
Lt. Commander
# 293
03-12-2010, 04:04 AM
Has anyone gotten this to work on Linux mint? What else besides wine 1.1.40 and ie7 is needed?
Lt. Commander
# 294
03-12-2010, 05:29 AM
1. compile wine 1.1.40
2. winetricks gecko corefonts ie6
3. winetricks ie7 (didn't work without ie6 for me) (needed for correct transparency.. so only eye-candy )
4. run winecfg, select libraries, add "mmdevapi" and set it to "disabled" (needed for sound!)
5. install the game...
6. play

I recommend medium settings for acceptable framerates
~20fps ground, ~40fps space on Fedora 12 x64 at medium details
~40fps ground, ~60fps space on Win7 Pro x64 at maximum details

(tested on Athlon II X4 3GHz, Geforce GTS250, 4GB Ram)
Lt. Commander
# 295
03-12-2010, 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr0pi View Post
1. compile wine 1.1.40 - Done, wine --version confirms
2. winetricks gecko corefonts ie6 - corefonts and gecko is new, i'll try it
3. winetricks ie7 (didn't work without ie6 for me) (needed for correct transparency.. so only eye-candy )
4. run winecfg, select libraries, add "mmdevapi" and set it to "disabled" (needed for sound!)
5. install the game... - Done
6. play

I recommend medium settings for acceptable framerates
~20fps ground, ~40fps space on Fedora 12 x64 at medium details
~40fps ground, ~60fps space on Win7 Pro x64 at maximum details

(tested on Athlon II X4 3GHz, Geforce GTS250, 4GB Ram)
The only thing I haven't done in this list is ' winetricks gecko corefonts ie6'. Thank you, I'll try that tonight.
Lt. Commander
# 296 Doesn't work
03-12-2010, 11:46 AM
No, winetricks gecko corefonts ie6 doesn't correct it, to even run that line I had to put sh (shell?) infront of it. It then installed but the launcher hasn't improved . Everything else I've already done.

There's got to be a way to get this to run under Linux Mint. It's based on Ubuntu 9.10 (running version 8). Should there be other files listed in the winecfg libraries tab besides the mmdevapi I added then disabled? I don't have anything else listed there since the purge and re-install I performed. Wine confirms version 1.1.40 and I have both IE6 and IE7 installed.

Any word on official support for Linux or Max OS-X?
Lt. Commander
# 297
03-13-2010, 10:03 AM
How is antialiasing working out for you guys? I posted earlier that it seemed better from the cx build, but now I'm not so sure. Seems none of my settings in nvidia-settings or registry entries for direct3d have an impact. Its not horrible looking, but I've seen a lot better.
Lt. Commander
# 298
03-13-2010, 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naoh123 View Post
How is antialiasing working out for you guys? I posted earlier that it seemed better from the cx build, but now I'm not so sure. Seems none of my settings in nvidia-settings or registry entries for direct3d have an impact. Its not horrible looking, but I've seen a lot better.
As far as I can tell, Anti-Aliasing setting do nothing for Star Trek Online in WINE. The nvidia-settings are outright ignored by WINE for anything using fbo for the OffScreenRenderingMode, and enabling it in game doesn't do anything other than reduce framerates.

I actually haven't seen any game at all that needs fbo work with multisampling in WINE. It is apparently a known issue, but finding any info beyond that, like if anyone is planning/working to fix it, seems to be rather elusive.
Lt. Commander
# 299
03-14-2010, 03:20 AM
Try a clean install of Linux and wine,allow the install to take it's time installing cuz it will freeze a bit on directx and the hogg's
Lt. Commander
# 300 Doesn't run in Linux Mint
03-14-2010, 07:23 AM
I still can't get the game to launch. Do I need to have any other libraries under winecfg besides the mmdevapi I add? I saw others once but removed them as part of a reinstall attempt and every reinstall since they don't come back.

- I let the install complete but the button only ever says "PATCH" and does nothing. I installed ie7 via ie4linux but when I try "sh winetricks gecko corefonts ie7" or ie6 now, I receive an error 53 about a shdwr.dll not found:

"Executing wine iexplore -unregserver
err:module:import_dll Library shdocvw.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\iexplore.exe") not found err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\windows\\system32\\iexplore.exe" failed, status c0000135
Note: command 'wine iexplore -unregserver' returned status 53. Aborting."

- ie6 and ie7 are on the system and the ie6 attempt shows 20 or so dlls extracts, unlike ie7.

Anyone else getting a similar launch window with only the PATCH button, never ENGAGE?
Closed Thread