Lt. Commander
# 301
03-14-2010, 09:58 AM
Yes, this happened when I attempted to use ie7. Maybe it works for some but I found it not worth the time. Press "y" 4-5 times for the script errors and be done with it.

Anyhow, when I "broke" the launcher from trying ie7 I believe i ran the ie7 uninstaller (through wine of course) and totally purged the IE folder under Program Files, then reran "winetricks ie6", this regained launching ability, no more halting at patch.
Lt. Commander
# 302
03-14-2010, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandal73
Has anyone gotten this to work on Linux mint? What else besides wine 1.1.40 and ie7 is needed?
I ran Mint for a while and played Eve under it for a few months. I ran into some hitches when accidentally installing that wine 1.2 package. As everyone is saying, go with the latest dev release from their official repo:

(be sure to replace jaunty with you're respective release, but I believe mint7 is jaunty, right? 8 = koala?)
deb http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt jaunty main
deb-src http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt jaunty main

Also I've always made it a point to use wine-doors simply for its handy list of MS fonts; I'd recommend installing wine-doors and grabbing all fonts available from its list.

So you might want to take it from the top, doing an 'aptitude --purge remove wine{any version that you installed}"
Lt. Commander
# 303
03-14-2010, 10:46 AM
Thanks Naoh, I'll purge and make sure I'm pulling from the budgetdedicated directly.

Should I grab the Debian or Ubuntu? Am I correct in that Ubuntu is built on top of Debian and Mint in turn is built on top of Ubuntu?

Update: It's Karmic-Kuala I believe for Ubuntu 9.10, so Karmic vs. Jaunty but, there is no binary for karmic. They suggest a new ppa source that points to a launchpad site. I've read of some people using the jaunty 9.04 with Karmic instead so I'm attempting to pull the jaunty now from winehq but i's slow...

Ok, got it, I'm Wine 1.2 clean, only 1.1.40 from winehq. I already have winetricks, still bombed on ie6/7 pulls with that error 53. I'm D/L ie6 via Winedoors now and the only font pack I see is Tahoma which I'm pulling. I have noticied in the past my xorg.conf complaining about cyrillic but that may be unrelated.
Lt. Commander
# 304
03-14-2010, 12:45 PM
I reinstalled STO, same problems with stock Wine 1.1.40.

Can someone please post their libraries list from winecfg? At one point I had close to 10 entries, after the stock wine 1.1.40 from winehq I have msi and msiexec.exe in addition to the mmdevapi I added and disabled, but I think I may be missing some.

Thank you.

I should add, although IE6 and 7 appear to be installed, I can't get to any sites with them, they seem to hang.
Lt. Commander
# 305
03-14-2010, 12:51 PM
hmmm, I never tried ie6 install through wine-doors, although i can't imagine there being anything too radically different, seems like it would still be grabbing the installer and running it by your current wine just the same.

If you're still having the IE problems, are you sure you wiped it out prior to reinstalling? Like I said, I cleaned up that behavior by deleting Program Files/Internet Explorer, and running the uninstaller from windows/IE Uninstall. If I recall correctly that uninstaller fails out, not sure if its actually doing anything either, but may as well keep your nose clean.

What tipped me off was actually trying to run IE independent of STO. After I installed IE7 and attempted to run IE7 the window was pretty messed up, no navigation bars, and it crashed. Currently, in my working environment I can run IE6 relatively stable, in turn giving me a functional STO patcher/launcher.
Lt. Commander
# 306
03-14-2010, 12:56 PM
The button not changing is normal with ie7, as well as a blank white mystery extra window. It should still work though, make sure it actually is done patching. (shows in the title bar as a percent) ie6 will throw up a bunch of scripting errors, but usually still worked.

If you have tried to install and uninstall either you had probably try starting with a fresh wineprefix.
Lt. Commander
# 307
03-14-2010, 02:56 PM
It appears to have successfully installed ie6 again after I manually removed it as you wrote. However, now it opens with no menu, address, or any bars. It's a window that shows me the WineHQ home page with no controls or bars of any kind.

I found this post, but removing the control panel colors section from the wine user.req didn't help.
Lt. Commander
# 308
03-14-2010, 04:03 PM
What you describe is exactly what I had with IE7. As Elayne says, maybe it is time for a fresh prefix. Perhaps clear out ~/.wine and have a look here:

http://wiki.jswindle.com/index.php/Wineprefixcreate
Lt. Commander
# 309
03-14-2010, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naoh123 View Post
What you describe is exactly what I had with IE7. As Elayne says, maybe it is time for a fresh prefix. Perhaps clear out ~/.wine and have a look here:

http://wiki.jswindle.com/index.php/Wineprefixcreate
I've been following the guide on winehq here

Ok, I got it back. Thanks to the step to export my wineprefix, I just needed to blow away the .wine_ie6 folder and reinstall. Ok, so I have a working IE6 under wine 1.1.40.

STO still doesn't work. I wonder if having a separate .wine_ie6 from .wine is a problem? Does STO need to be reinstalled after ie6 is installed?

Update: I have to run iexplore.exe with the command:
wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Internet\ Explorer/IEXPLORE.EXE (or .wine_ie6 as the first dir) to get it to work.
I can't dbl-click it through Linux. Even though it's in a wine directory and the exe has a wine glass on it, I get a blank ie6 window that never loads any pages, anything. Could ies4linux be causing a problem with dbl-clicking it vs. using "wine" infront of the terminal command above?
Lt. Commander
# 310
03-14-2010, 05:39 PM
Didn't know ies4linux was involved. I can't say for sure if that is an interference or not. What I can tell you is my steps worked without a hitch (with the exception of attempting ie7 later on) on 9.04:

Installed wine from 'budget' repo

Installed wine-doors and fonts

winetricks ie6

installed STO

I can't think of why it would be necessary to reinstall STO, but knowing what you know now it may be time for a fresh start. Purge it all and take it from the top? Or find out what's causing your continued IE oddities, seems like either will be time consuming, sorry!
Closed Thread